“tasteless and with a hair :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Made By Ben

Made By Ben
Ranked #30 of 47 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A small cafe serving hot food and coffee in Bath
Somerset
“tasteless and with a hair :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Bought some tortilla to take home. Feta, olive and what not. No taste at all, bar the occasional black olive flavour coming through and there was also a hair in it.
I won't be going back.

• Visited February 2014

“Not just your average sandwich bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I visited Ben's last week for the 4th time in 18 months. Not bad considering we live in London and we have no real reason to visit Bath - except to visit Ben's. In that short time, apart from winning various awards for his sandwich-making skills, he has added a range of sumptuous and imaginative tortillas and most recently some superb pies. I had one of his lamb tagine pies (which was to die for) followed by another of his chocolate brownies - which frankly are worth the trip alone. This is no ordinary spot for lunch, it's much better than that. Now I just need him to open a branch nearer home.

Visited November 2013
Poole, United Kingdom
“Bens fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We loved this little restaurant. The owner Ben not only served but also makes all the
food himself, this was truly scrumptious. Nothing was too much trouble, he provided
Soya milk which is not always available in many restaurants, the whole experience was
a pleasure we hope to repeat as often as possible.

Visited October 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great food, deserves better service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Made by Ben is a charming, quirky, typically Bath sort of place - tiny tables crammed into Georgian town house rooms, upstairs and down.
The food is great - quiches, pies, cakes, tortillas, salads, baguetttes, pastries - to eat in or take away, plus a fabulous selection of cooked and chilled food for dinner parties. All produced to a very high standard in both presentation and deliciousness.
However, as is SO often the case, the service leaves much to be desired. Most recently had lunch there with a friend - you have to order at the counter - and my dish needed to be heated, which seemed to take an age but clearly wasn't long enough because it was still cold in the middle. When I went back to the counter, I got a very flamboyant and I thought rather insincere "sorry about that darling" from a person I'd never met before. So far, so-so.
It was delicious once it was at the right temperature.
But when we came to pay - nightmare! No-one had written anything down, nothing was in the till / computer, neither member of staff could remember (understandably) so we had to recite what we'd had, and it seemed to take an age, with both girls repeating everything we and each other said - very inefficient. No tip.
If you're thinking of starting a bakery, cafe, restaurant, roadside picnic spot PLEASE make sure your standard of service at the least lives up to the standard of your food, otherwise it's just a huge disappointment.

• Visited April 2013
“A culinary garden of lunchtime delights...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Being a jaded, discerning, Manhattan expat in a country that tries to pass off crusty,old baguettes with shredded mystery cheese as lunch, it was a big relief to find a lunchtime oasis like Made-by-Ben. From the moment I walked in to Ben's, and viewed his gallery of home-made delights, I was assured that I would be served a fine-crafted meal. The staff was friendly and energetic, and Ben himself was quick-witted and smile inducing while he took our order, making sure to give us all the options available from his arsenal of fresh condiments and extras so that our midday feast would be a complete experience. Being a dreaded vegetarian, I went with the Smoking Goat sandwich, a carefully contrived sandwich combining pesto, FRESH (how 'bout that!) slabs of homemade bread, sauces, nuts and gorgeous goat cheese. An obviously, well designed sandwich. And I say well designed since it seemed that each element was well-thought out to enhance the flavors of the other. The service was speedy and caring, the dining room cosy and quiet, the atmosphere was both modern and rustic and Ben will be quick to tell you that the giant Moulin Rouge poster that adorns the wall harks back to his days as an ex-dancer at Paris' famed cabaret, his creativity apparently inspired by his former digs. My cohorts had a pastrami sandwich, which she said would easily rival some of the finest Jewish delis we frequented back in New York, and a visitor we had up from New Jersey savored one of Ben's 'tortillas' which at first view made me reconsider vegetarianism. When we finished we were all truly satisfied having had a whimsical meal, as opposed to just 'grabbin' a bite'. Ben offered us coffee, prefacing it as the 'best coffee in Bath', and it was the perfect coda to our meal, lots o' crema, the way I love it, hearty roasted flavor, and that indulgent little ivy-leaf design in the froth, just to show they cared. Although, he was sarcastically disturbed that I put three sugars into his creation, "but", as I explained to him, "life is bitter, coffee should be sweet." By the time we were finished we felt like we'd had a fine midday dining experience topped off by a bill that left us equally satisfied, worth far more than the total of the check. I guess you can tell by now, I thoroughly recommend Made by Ben to anyone who...eats food! Now, any time we have visitors in town, we'll be making our pilgrimage to "that sandwich emporium on Walcott street".

• Visited June 2013