“In need of a complete refit”
Review of Little Chef

Little Chef
Ranked #448 of 618 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stopped here for a quick light lunch and got exactly that. The food was very basic but quite acceptable. Service was average and hygiene just about acceptable. I hope the new owners from Kuwait have deep pockets because they will need them to invest in these tired old Little Chef properties!!
One major concern is that the venue is being used as a free toilet facility for all passing motorists and the odd coach party who merrily use the facilities mainly without asking and certainly not buying anything in the restaurant or shop!!!!! Come on Management --- Get a grip on your business, are you in the food business or latrines??
It's not the best sight for your paying customers seeing hoards of people trooping in and out of the toilets. This is costing you money which clearly you have to recover how ? by charging us more!!

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the adjoining Travelodge, and ate here on the second morning of our short break following a very poor breakfast at Morrison's the previous day.

The breakfast menu was very extensive, and we all had something different, including the early starter, breakfast wrap, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, porridge and pancakes.

All of the food was cooked fresh and was served piping hot. Each pot of tea contained over two cups of tea.

And with our RAC membership, we received 30% off the bill. Well worth it :-)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

On my way back from Bristol I was in need of food and in the absence of any other apparent options I stopped at this Little Chef which has a reasonable amount of parking. It is a tired looking building and inside was not much better.

It was not very busy inside and there were 3 staff on duty. I was shown to a table and before I could take my coat off or look at a menu the waitress asked me for my drink order so I asked her to come back.

I ordered a pot of Earl Grey Tea but couldn't make my mind up on food as the menu had a high percentage of cooked breakfasts, burgers and other fried food. The waitress recommended the Hunters chicken and I did think that's fine if you are not a vegetarian.

Eventually I settled on a club sandwich with skinny fries which was cooked and delivered quite quickly. I was asked if I would like another drink but passed on that.

Whilst I was eating the staff stood around talking right in my eye line which I didn't like very much as it felt as though they were watching me eat.

The second I finished the waitress returned to see if I wanted a pudding. They were very keen but I think it was because they weren't very busy.

I paid my bill £9.38 which was reasonable enough and then visited the toilets. There were three cubicles, one with a broken lock and the other two were fine. The hand drier button was hanging off on a spring although it still worked. The toilets need refurbishing.

After I left I discovered just up the road Whiterow Farm Shop which had a very appealing looking cafe/restaurant and I wish I had gone there instead. The menu was much more interesting as was the building which looked well maintained.

1  Thank AngieP49
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed at the Beckington Travelodge during February half-term. Before setting out for home, my wife and I and two boys went for breakfast to the Little Chef next door.

Passing up on the offer of a fry-up, my 13 year-old opted for porridge with maple syrup. When it arrived, we were not amused to see that there was only just over a centimetre covering the bottom of the bowl. When the waiter, a friendly young man wearing the regulation red top and apron, came with the rest of the order, we pointed out the paucity of porridge in my son's bowl. Looking a bit sheepish, he said this was the usual amount. My wife, acknowledging that is might indeed be the case, persisted with the complaint that - Oliver Twist-like - it just wasn't enough for £3.99.

Moving things up a notch, the waiter reported to the manager and returned to tell us that they would give us another helping 'on the house'. We accepted, and another - slightly more generous portion arrived.

LC's menu describes the portion, over-optimistically as 'a bowl of Scottish oats with hot milk'. It isn't, but what arrived at our table certainly represents a hell of a mark-up in terms of raw ingredient cost and the no doubt minimum wage of our waiter. The moral of the story: complain if it's not enough - better yet, remember that LC has form in this area; having previously been criticised for the overly creative use of overflowing platters to represent the size of its portions, the new menu doesn't have photos - but still uses over-optimistic descriptions.