“As per usual Holiday Inn - comfortable, quiet night.”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Typical Holiday Inn stuff - comfortable, quiet, economical choice. Only 5 minutes walk from the landmarks in town. Unfortunately there was a rather noisy sports team staying there at the same time as us, but even with this we had an uninterrupted night's sleep. Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you mentioned, Our hotel is very lucky to be close by to popular landmarks, And main tourist attractions.

All of our staff do try and recognise our Intercontinental Hotel Group members. Thank you for your continue loyalty with our brand, it does mean a lot to us.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bath

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Mum and I stayed here in December 2013. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and offered tips of local attractions, times and distances if walking. Very modern, quiet and clean. Excellent wifi, and fabulous breakfast included. One of the lovely staff members actually ordered and collected dinner from a local restaurant for us to eat in our room. Highly recommended. Will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms were spacious, quiet and very clean
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am pleased to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests, and our breakfast team work extremely hard to maintain the breakfast area, as well as making sure there is a wide selection of both the hot option food, and the continental selection, to meet all of our guests individual requirements. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed this.

I am so glad to hear that our staff are going the extra mile for our guests, I know they enjoy doing so, and thank you again, for your kind comments. I will make sure I pass these on to them.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write such a kind, positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I am not usually a huge fan, but we wanted somewhere cheap for a bunch of us celebrating a girls night out in Bath. The hotel was as expected... modern, basic, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was okay... not the best but definitely acceptable. However the customer service was great, the staff were very friendly and helpful and above average. The location is good... approx 10 minutes out of the town centre and there is a car park that for a small fee you can use overnight until the following 4pm. I would recommend this hotel as a reasonable option for a hotel in Bath.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast. Our breakfast team work extremely hard, and we try to provide a wide selection of continental food as well as our three hot options of; Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, to meet all of our guests individual requirements.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They all do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very modern room and bath room. Convenient location: not central but 15min walk to both no.1 royal crescent and Bath Spa. Rooms very quiet and sound-proof. Internet fast and stable.

Cons:
When I booked through their hotel website, I got charged Dynamic Currency Conversion, which billed me in my local currency rather than sterling pounds. The receipt said I was offered a choice and I agreed to be billed in that way, but I wasn't. Is that lying? Lol For some people, the difference of the final amount can be 5%
I wish there were plate warmers at the breakfast area.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay. As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.

With regards to the payment for your stay, it may be that your bank only allows transactions to automatically come out in your local currency and doesn't give an option for sterling pounds. As you paid in advance for your reservation, the payment is taken prior to your arrival, so unfortunately, we are unaware what currency you would like to pay in, so the payment will just go through as local currency, unless guests inform us otherwise.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed at this Hotel in December with two girlfriends for a special birthday weekend.
I booked this hotel as a surprise at a cost of £240 for one night! (this did include two tickets to Bath spa which are normally £29 each, but without the tickets it was still £220!)
When we arrived we were a little early so our room wasn't ready. When we returned I was really disappointed. Our room was so small and really unattractive. Because there were three of us we had to use the pull out sofa bed. This left very little space to move. Sadly I offered to sleep on this pull out bed and have to say I had one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had. I could feel every lump and spring and crippled my back. I even had a strange dream that I was at home in my own bed and was convinced all the springs had broken and couldn't understand how!!
There was no bath and the facilities were very basic.
I am horrified that a hotel of this low standard can charge this price for one night and was so embarrased that I had booked and paid for this for my friend.
On a positive note it is only a short walk into the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katie F
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

Im sorry to hear that our hotel didn't meet your expectations. unfortunately, all of our rooms are the same size throughout the hotel, when booking you should of been made aware that with three people in the room, someone would have to sleep on the sofa bed unfortunately. The sofa beds have recently been replaced throughout the hotel, and we are also having a full refurbishment throughout the hotel this year. Thank you for making us aware of the mattress on the sofa bed I will let my housekeeping manager aware of the comfort of this mattress for future reference.

unfortunately there are only showers throughout the hotel, as we are just an express brand we only offer showers and not baths.

As bath is such a popular city that attracts a number of tourists throughout the year, the demand of hotels is extremely high, this effects our rates which are competitive with other hotels throughout the city.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, It is review such as yours which enables us to see what areas we can improve on in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have been using the Intercontinental Hotel Group for a good time and have only recently started using the Holiday Inn Express Brand since in some locations there is no other choice - Bath being an example. My recent experience has confirmed that a) the brand is no less expensive than other IHG brands (where a lot more is offered) and b) hidden extras, such as parking, soon brings the price up to a standard Holiday Inn or Hotel Indigo.

We did not get off to a good start - if you are disabled and arrive for the first time, you can only open the disabled door by swiping your room card since the revolving doors are not disabled friendly. I question if you have not checked in how you can use the door! Design fault.

The welcome at reception was not friendly and I had to wait whilst the person on duty attended to her paperwork. I was not greeted by name nor welcomed as a Gold Member, but had a welcoming letter thrust at me. The receptionist appeared to be much more concerned with taking my £8.00 for overnight parking than other niceties and in the end I had to ask about the additional rewards points that I was entitled to - these were not on offer. Very poor service indeed.

She rattled off where my room was but I didn't hear so initially went to the wrong floor - wasted time - with no offer of a newspaper other than the standard free one. In all other IHG hotels I receive the paper of choice, at no expense.

The room was standard HIE style, but with a filthy carpet that could do with a decent clean. There was mould on bathroom ceiling - since there is no ventilation in the bathroom. Being a ground floor room, which I dislike since I do not feel it safe to leave my window open overnight, the room was very cold and took several hours to reach a reasonable temperature. When I reported the carpet and mould to the manager upon leaving I was told that the rooms are due an upgrade this year: if that is the case then the brand should not be charging full rate until the rooms are up to standard and are clean.

Lighting was very poor and whilst I could position myself for reading, there were dark pools in the room - a real poor design fault. With the air-conditioning unit over the bed it was difficult to sleep with it on - I don't like cold air blowing on me at night - but if I turned it off the room became freezing cold.

The complimentary breakfast was actually better than others I have had in r HIEs - with decent scrambled eggs. However, the sausages must have been the cheapest that could be bought and were inedible, and the baked beans were congealed and dry. As I have mentioned in previous reviews, no breakfast is free - it is charged within the rate - and I would rather have the option to pay for a decent breakfast with choice, or go without and not pay. The breakfasts continue to let the brand down.

I needed to be in Bath the next morning and this being the only IHG hotel in the area, I felt that I had no choice but to stay here if I wished to be loyal to brand. Going forward I will avoid the HIE Brand - standards are very average, service is very average and prices are very little different to other IHG brands - and significantly more expensive that Premier Inn etc.

The biggest plus is that the hotel is central and walking distance to town, though across a busy road.

Room Tip: Try to get a receptionist who cares, or try another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Skippy50

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to hear that you are a Intercontinental Hotel Group member, your loyalty means a lot within the company, we really appreciate you continuing to choose to stay within the Intercontinental Hotel Group chain.

With regards to the disabled access door, it does have a call button outside for guests to press when they are entering the hotel, this then rings into the reception and the staff will press the button so we can release the door to open for our guests.

Im so sorry to hear that you found the welcome to be unfriendly, I sincerely apologise for this. I can assure you that all of the staff here at Holiday Inn Express, do go above and beyond with our guests. This is not a regular occurrence, as customer service is extremely important to all the staff here and they really enjoy providing excellent customer service to everyone at the hotel.

Unfortunately, as we are an Express hotel, we are unable to provide a choice of newspapers, however, we do offer a complimentary 'I' newspaper to all of our guests which is available by the reception area. If there is a certain type of newspaper guests like to read our reception team are more than happy to purchase one especially for you.

We do offer complimentary drink and snack vouchers and also complimentary bonus points on check in to our IHG reward members also.

I do apologise that our hotel didn't meet your expectations on this occasion, I can assure you that our housekeeping team work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain a high level of cleanliness for our guests. They also carry out a regular Mouldex treatments throughout the hotel, and we do provide ventilation extraction fans in the bathroom, which can be found on the bathroom ceiling. Thank you for making us aware of these issues however, I will be speaking with my housekeeping manager and maintenance manager regarding this.

Our hotel is extremely safe, we have CCTV all around the building and we have never had an issue with security, guests are more than welcome to leave their windows open at night, as they are on a security chain, where they don't open fully.

Our maintenance manager carries out regular checks on all the air conditioning units throughout the hotel to make sure these are all functioning properly. I do apologise that you found the room to be too cold while you were staying with us. We offer portable heaters for guests if they find there room is too cold, these quickly heat the rooms up.

Thank you for taking advantage of our free, hot option breakfast. Im sorry to hear you did not enjoy the sausages or baked beans however, we do try to make sure we meet all of our guests individual requirements by providing both three hot options and also a wide continental selection.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. It is review such as yours which enables us to see what areas we can improve on in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel itself was clean and the room nice with a comfortable bed. Breakfast was good but as it was a coach party trip we had dinner there on two evenings as well. This was not good at all. No choice of starter which was soup both evenings and no choice of dessert which was gateau. The main course a choice of two very simple meals chicken or vegetarian or fish & chips. If you are staying overnight and for breakfast then it is good value but don't bother with dinner.

Staff were friendly and helpful but rushed off their feet trying to serve dinner and the restaurant was in the reception area so not ideal.

Room Tip: My room was overlooking the motorway but couldn't hear the traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I believe you may be confused with another hotel, our hotel doesn't have a restaurant onsite, we are unfortunately unable to provide evening meals. The only food we do offer to our guests is pizzas and bar snacks in the evenings.

Thank you again however, for taking the time to give feedback about your stay.

Kind regards,