“Great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Bath
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel for my wife's 40th Birthday weekend. We stayed 3 nights and wasn't dissatisfied in any way from the friendlyness of the staff, service, cleanness and comfyness of the room . Great central location, would definitely stay again.
A big special thanks to the 2 Laura's who made our stay even more special.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and I will certainly pass on your comments to Laura and Laura. I know they will be pleased to hear they made such a positive impact on your stay.

Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain the cleanliness of the bedrooms so I am pleased to hear that you found them to meet the correct standard.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and we hope to see you in the future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Check in was quick and the staff were pleasant and helpful. I had a double room which was a good size and very clean, everthing you need. I prefer to have a bath in a hotel room but I wasn't that bothered. My only gripe was I awoke in the night and needed some water. I went to reception as they have a small kiosk in the recetion area and a bar. It was closed so I asked the chap on reception if there was anywhere I could buy water and he asked a lady if the kiosk was locked and she mumbled something and he pointed and she would help. She walked off and then saw me waiting, huffed and stomped back, looked like I'd asked for first born child....Bit off I thought. Breakfast buffet was fine. I went down early and brought breakfast back to my room. Later on I saw the que was very long and the place was packed so I'd say go early. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Bath. I am pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay, and have passed on your kind comments regarding the rooms to our housekeeping team.

As should be evident from the many reviews we receive regarding our staff members, on the whole I am proud to be part of a team that consistently strives to deliver excellent customer service. Therefore, I was surprised and disappointed to see the way you described the attitude of our night staff. I hope I can assure you that all staff members are trained and encouraged to do anything within their powers to ensure our guests have a comfortable and positive stay, and I apologise that on this occasion we have fallen short, and we will certainly address this matter internally.

Thank you again for posting your honest review, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards,

United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had an overnight stay at this hotel. Location is great and generally we were very happy with the hotel. What let it down is the lack of customer service. The wi-fi in the room is chargeable which is fine however it didn't work so I had to call up Airangel who sorted the problem out but in a way which meant I could only use my laptop and no other devices which wasn't ideal. I also booked a double and a twin rooms. However we got two twins. I mentioned these two issues when checking out and was given an off hand response - I should take it up with Airangel direct about the wi-fi and because I went through Booking.com (the only way I could book the hotel) I wasn't guaranteed my choice of room. Whilst both responses were fine it was the manner in which it was conveyed by the reception staff. It may be worth training the staff to offer their advice in a more 'customer friendly' manner rather than 'tough luck'. I wouldn't book this hotel again and have been put off Holiday Inn Expresses by this experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We always welcome all guest feedback, as this enables us to continuously monitor and improve the service we provide to our guests.

I am sorry to hear you encountered difficulties with the WiFi in your room. As my colleague explained on check out, the wireless Internet throughout the hotel is provided by Airangel. Therefore, unfortunately we are limited in what we at the hotel can do to assist guests that are experiencing difficulties with the service. We are always happy to contact Airangel for you and help you get connected, but we have very little influence on the technical side of things. That being said, I will certainly take your comments on board, as normally the wireless service should be valid on up to two devices.

With regards to the room types you had booked, unfortunately my colleague was correct in explaining that certain third party bookings do not offer guaranteed room types. Therefore, if you were to book through one of these parties, such as Booking.com, the room types you select during the booking process are a preference only. Although we always make every effort to try to accommodate guests in the room type of their preference, unfortunately there are instances where this is not possible. For this reason, we always recommend with the hotel direct, as the room types are guaranteed, and you will also qualify for our lowest rate guarantee.

I am sorry you felt that the customer service you received on this occasion did not meet your standards. I hope I can assure you that our staff members are trained to and encouraged to resolve situations when they arise, but unfortunately there are some things that are simply out of our control.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

i booked a 1 night stay here for a birthday treat so we could both drink and have a good time. checked in quickly, the staff werre polite and helpful.

our room was on the top floor overllooking the carpark and entrance. i didn't find this a problem although i might have done if i was on the first floor as this is where the smokers congreate for their drug habits.

the otherside of the hotel does indeed over look a cemetary i wouldn't have minded this, at least these neightbours are quiet!!

the breakfast was busy and a little chaotic as the hotel seemed full. the food was plentiful. it is described as continental but in fat its continental plus as there is cooked sausage beans and scrambled egg. all in all a good and adequate breakfast.

there is a little road noise but then you quite central in a busy congested city. so what do you expect.

overall i would stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a room farthest away from the road and top floor.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and it always gives me great pleasure to be able to share such positive comments with the rest of our team.

As you mentioned, our complimentary Express Start breakfast is quite popular with our guests, which is why we aim to inform guests of our busiest times upon check in if we are expecting a high number of guests for breakfast. Our breakfast consists of a continental buffet with hot options, which are replenished continuously, so guests are welcome to come down at any time during our breakfast service hours to get their breakfast.

Thank you again for your kind comments, and I hope we will see you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We use Holiday inn express regularly. On this occasion we had booked 18-20 February to celebrate my husbands birthday. Checking in was fine by the manager on duty and he updated our priority card also. In the morning we were interrupted by house keeping who let themselves in.

That afternoon I received a call from the manager stating it was a courtesy call as he had our booking as being a no show. I told him we had checked in and we were occupying the room given and that he had been the one who checked us in. He didn't seem to believe us and asked us to come down to reception. I advised we were out site seeing. (I actually saw him check us in on the computer and validate our cards).he told us we needed to contact Expedia to sort it out as the booking was through them. He kept saying this was just a courtesy call - very bizarre. However we returned early from our day out as we were worried by his comments and insistence we were not in occupation.

When we spoke to the same manager at reception he still had not established we were checked in or were in the building. He gave no explanation to the error. I explained that it was my husbands birthday and it had been spoiled by his phone call and cut short our plans. He was unapologetic and quite belligerent eventually asking who checked us in - when I said it had been him he then went on to say there had been a computer glitch but also saying there was a mix up with the hand over. He didn't seem sure which it was. I said an apology wouldn't go amiss but we never got one - what we did get was his explanation that 'human error does happen you know' his tone and manner was seriously not what you would normally expect at the holiday inn.

More importantly if we were not registered as being in the building this was a serious health and safety risk especially in the event of fire or evacuation.

This stay was spoiled by these events and when we left the manager was still on duty - we dropped the keys in and left quickly.

Apart from this ghastly experience with the manager, overall the rest of the holiday inn express experience was as good as it usually is. The other reception ladies were lovely and very accommodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Emma_Fowles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback follwing your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Bath. It is through feedback that we are able to improve both our standards and customers services levels which we provide our guests and ensure we get it right every time for every guest.

I am sorry on this occassion we did not deliver on what was expected of us and that you feel disappointed with your experience of Holiday Inn Express. I understand from my investigation that there was a system issue on the day of check-in of which the manager tried to resolve unfortunately realiant on a 3rd party to fix. This however should not have affected your stay with us and I sincerely apologise for this.

Here at the hotel we do complete regular customer service training for all new recruits and managers including refresher training which on a positive note does show through the many positive responses we get from many of our guests.

May I take this opportunity to once again apologise for any inconvenience caused and I would like to welcome you back in the near future to Bath and to prove that we actually can get things right for our guests.

Kind regards
oundle
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Reception on arrival, busy but very efficient and welcoming.had requested a quiet room which we got overlooking the overflow car park at the rear of the hotel. warm, welcoming and modern good showerroom, T+C facility and hairdryer provided. only soap dispenser on the wall of en-suite. However, ALL toiletries etc are available Complimentary from Reception.Car Park costs £6 o/nt for non IHG members. Breakfast was basic but incl in room rate pn.Just Continental + Sausages/scrambled egg(powdered?) and baked beans self service. efficient toaster for a change too.we were so enjoying a good sleep in one of the most comfy KS Double beds in a Hotel- we travel in the UK at least once pcm.but we had a problem with extremely noisy neighbours :( thru the early a.m. but it was dealt with efficiently by Emma and her Team.look forward to our next visit to Bath and definitely intend to stay here

Room Tip: think it was 244 but ask for overlooking rear of hotel and it should be quieter than those overlooki...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to see you were happy with the quiet room we had allocated you prior to arrival. Where possible, we always do try to accommodate requests made at time of booking. As you mentioned, we offer a complimentary all-in-one shampoo and body wash in the bathroom, but do have some additional complimentary toiletry items available from reception if needed.
Finally, I am sorry to see other guests being inconsiderate disturbed your sleep. However, I am glad you felt that my General Manager Emma Fowles was able to resolve the situation for you.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to our beautiful city.

wales
Reviewed February 19, 2013

A £5 cab ride from Bath city railway station (about 1 mile).At reception checked in by warm friendly receptionist.Who gave us a guide on where to visit/eat/drink.(all in trip advisor)Rooms bright roomy and modern.Breakfast- huge all you can eat hot English breakfast with massive choice.Will most definitely stay here again.-marvellous.

Room Tip: A ten minute walk into town
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Bath.

It is wonderful to see you have enjoyed your time in Bath, and that your stay was comfortable. As you mentioned, our reception team is very knowledgeable when it comes to the local area, and our team members are always more than happy to help with information, directions, or recommendations where needed.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.