“You'd be mad as a hatter not to have breakfast here!”

The Mad Hatter's Tea Party
Ranked #17 of 41 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Step into Wonderland and join the Tea Party. Come and join us for breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea in our quirky, friendly tea room. A favourite with visitors to Bath, we pride ourselves on a welcoming atmosphere; delightful homemade food and lovingly handcrafted cakes and scones. We cater for all types of Hatters and welcome everyone who has a love of good food and a bit of a quirky side. Located behind the Abbey, we are away from the bustle of the high street. So come and join the friendly staff for a truly Mad Hatter Tea Party.
Chichester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You'd be mad as a hatter not to have breakfast here!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This quirky tea shop is a real find. My wife and I went for breakfast this morning and we were not disappointed. I recommend the White Rabbit breakfast which is veggie but is so good you wouldn't notice the difference. All cooked to order and all the better for it. The Alice in Wonderland theme works well and adds to the atmosphere. We travel a lot and the food, service and friendly humurous atmosphere here stands out from the rest. An interesting array of teas (including proper chai) backs up the excellent menu. Darren and his team are enthusiastic about what they do and it shows. No hesitation in recommending and would chose to go here again over any of the chains.

Chepstow
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Didn't quite live up to the expectation set! Great idea poorly executed. As an avid tea & caker who adores anything mad and hats, the sight of this little cafe was bliss for me.

It's very small inside so I felt cramped as it was busy. The two ladies were semi friendly, but the place was lacking atmosphere. Our tea and cake arrived, but my cup was chipped so I sent it back, it was changed but it was made clear from one lady to the next "the cup is chipped", a new one set down for me, but it clearly was a sticking point for them and I was made to feel uncomfortable.

The tea was lovely, the cake was good but I won't be going back because its too small a place for staff / owners to be having attitude with customers who expect the basics of decent crockery. I'm not being fussy, it costs money to eat out these days and therefore I expect to really enjoy all of my experiences. There are other cafes which take that little bit of extra care so they can have my hard earned cash, and I left feeling disappointed.

1 Thank Michelle S
newport, gwent
“breakfast”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Spent 3 days in Bath and had breakfast at The Mad Hatter's tea party twice. Excellent breakfast and freshly cooked. Darren the owner was a wonderful host and nothing too much trouble if you wanted to alter your meal. Best (South in Bath, would certainly go back there. They also do afternoon tea which looked lovely.

Veronica & Hilary (South Wales)

London, United Kingdom
“Bad smell, bad food, bad service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I'm astonished at the number of positive reviews this place has received, as it's probably my worst ever brunch experience. To start with, the cafe is very poorly ventilated so it smells just like a greasy frying pan. The service is VERY slow and my boyfriend's brunch was served well before mine (so that we didn't really get to eat together at all!). When my food finally arrived it was the standard full English rather than the vegetarian "white rabbit" option I had ordered. The waiter was apologetic about this, but I heard him loudly instructing his colleague to "just take the meat off and add a veggie sausage" which was pretty off putting. When my food came back it was mostly cold and the poached eggs were like bullets. The only thing that saves this place from a one star review is that the waiter offered us a discount on our bill by way of an apology for the various mix-ups. The concept of the cafe is quirky, but it's to be avoided. There are many nicer places to eat in Bath.

1 Thank RSFSR
London, United Kingdom
“Bad food, bad smell, bad service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I'm astonished at the number of good reviews for this place. We visited for brunch in February, and it was pretty terrible. The place is poorly ventilated, so it smells like a frying pan. My boyfriend's food arrived well before mine and when mine did come it was a full English rather than the vegetarian option I had chosen! When I pointed this out the waiter was very apologetic, but I overheard him instructing his colleague in the back to "just take the meat off"! I am a strict vegetarian (and had therefore specifically ordered the vegetarian "white rabbit" breakfast) so this was pretty off putting. When the food finally came back most of it was cold and the poached eggs were like bullets. The only thing that has saved this place from a one star review is the fact that the waiter refunded part of the meal. The decor is quirky-ish but I'd say this is a tourist trap to be avoided!

1 Thank RSFSR