“Can't miss this!”

West of England Falconry
Ranked #3 of 29 Outdoor Activities in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Falconry Experiences are by appointment only as we are not open to the public. Please book your experience in advance. Visit our website or phone us for more information. Thank you.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was by far our favorite part of our visit to Bath. Jay didn't bat an eye at us showing up late (It is a little hard to find without directions.) and proceeded to give us an unforgettable experience. After a walk through the countryside to a field surrounded by woods you get the unbelievable experience of a raptor landing on you hand (or in one case, your head!) and feeding on your offering. Having watched many a raptors show before this, to actually handle these birds was a once in a lifetime experience. My whole family hopes to be able to return and do this again.

1  Thank DocRose42

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were there for the first 'flight' of the day, saw two owls, a falcon, and an African eagle, as well as the 'non-flying' birds in the aviary. Really interesting and the staff seem to be really engaged with both the birds and the visitors.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Thank you Mogwai for letting us take you out for a fly. Mogwai the Harris Hawk is a lovely bird and was willing to fly for us without any trouble at all despite our inexperience.
Jake took us out for the hawk walk and was a very knowledgeable and pleasant, he made us feel very relaxed and ensured we had a good time.
We flew Mogwai for about 30/40 mins which felt about right and with walk to the field, hellos and goodbyes the whole event lasted about 1.5 hours.
Thank you for a great time, thoroughly enjoyable.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife took me here for my birthday as I'm a bit of a bird geek, and I absolutely loved it! Jay was really friendly and knowledgeable. We were worried we may not get to do it as it was slightly drizzly and (unbeknownst to me) hawks can't fly in the rain! But the weather held off and we went ahead any way. I got to spend a good half hour or so holding a beautiful Harris Hawk called Mogwai, feeding him and letting him fly off and come back. And as a bonus at the end, we even got to meet Arthur, the tiny baby Burrowing Owl that lives on Jay's living room floor!

1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed May 10, 2014

we arranged a booking for this event on the 11th March for 28th June at 2.00 pm. we were asked to take this date rather than our preferred date of the 29th June as he was unable to do this for family reasons this was all confirmed and booked. We received an email on the 10th March cancelling this as he had to collect his family arriving from new Zealand , Apology was included. This was a great disappointment.

5  Thank jeremyf958
WoEF2011, Owner at West of England Falconry, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Unfortunately, sometimes travel arrangements and flight schedules get changed, something beyond my control. I apologise that these changes have ultimately spoiled you families entertainment. I'm also sorry that giving you seven weeks notice and the offer of an alternative time (something you failed to mention in your comments) was not good enough for you. However, I make no apology that you find my duty as a father so offensive.
As you know, we are a small charity concerned with the rescue, rehabilitation and conservation of birds of prey. All of us are volunteers and we get no financial help. We fund our work by doing 'Hawk Walks'. Being ranked No 1 on TripAdvisor has been a great help to us. So, I find it very hard to comprehend why a man in your position should be so petty as to seek revenge by trying to sabotage our only source of funding.