“Something different”

West of England Falconry
Ranked #2 of 28 Outdoor Activities in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Falconry Experiences are by appointment only as we are not open to the public. Please book your experience in advance. Visit our website or phone us for more information. Thank you.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Something different”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had an amazing experience with Jay, Jake and the birds Charlie and Mogwai. We were introduced to all the birds that Jay keeps, and learnt about what they eat and how they are looked after. We then took the birds out flying in an open field, which was much more interactive than we expected and we had loads of time flying the birds ourselves while Jay and Jake gave us helpful tips and were really calm and friendly.

The birds are absolutely beautiful and happy to be stroked!

We then took the birds back and had a lovely cup of tea whilst meeting Ghost and Minnie.

Overall it was an unforgettable experience and great value for money. It was so much better than any other birds of prey show as you actually get involved and interact with the birds. A definite must for anybody who is visiting bath, just fab!!

Charlotte and Rob

1 Thank Char1719

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

An absolutely fantastic afternoon spent in the company of Jay and his birds. We saw a falconry display in the summer but this was 1,000 times better than that! Jay picked us up from the bus stop as we don't have a car (thanks!).The on arrival, we met and learned about the birds and the flying technique over a cup of tea before taking Charlie the Harris Hawk out for a fly (after a short and pretty walk through some woods). Beautiful surroundings, but above all a beautiful bird! This is a really interactive session and you get a lot of flying time - all under the expert guidance of Jay. Thank you Jay, and thank you Charlie for an unforgettable afternoon. I would recommend this to anyone with an interest in animals and birds of prey. Simply awesome.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank lae24
Netanya, Israel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An amazing expirience!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

we got to bath and that was the first thing we did, it was a great welcome to Bath! Jay is a lovley man and he is exellent with his Falcond, owls and many other birds! it is an amazing and a must-do expirience if you visit england!

Visited October 2012
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“a unique and amazing experience!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I got this as a present to my sister for her 30th birthday because she loves owls and would flip at the chance to hold one. The whole experience was relaxed, informative, and amazingly fun! When we got there, Jay chatted with us about his beautiful birds over tea and then it was time to take the Hawks into the field to fly them. Having never been that close to any bird before, I was a little nervous, but Jay and the other gentleman who helped out (I'm sorry I forgot your name! You rock though :) ) made me feel at ease. By the end, I was confidently feeding Charlie from my hand.
It is clear that everyone at West of England Falconry loves the birds they work with! Both my sister and I would be happy to visit here again the next time we are in Bath. We even recommended the experience to the people who ran the guesthouse we were staying in because they also have a big interest in birds.

Visited September 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Absolutely Wonderful!!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I spent an amazing afternoon with Jay and his birds. After a short walk to open fields through a pretty wood we were able to fly Charlie. Having never before been so close to birds of prey, I was a little nervous but Jay was so kind and patient that I soon relaxed and had Charlie swooping down from trees to take food from my hand. Jay explains all the terminology and how to handle the birds correctly and they really respond to his presence. Obviously adored by him, when not flying, they live in clean and spacious aviaries. The idyllic surroundings made it even more wonderful and we really got a sense of the history of falconry. I was really surprised at the different characters all the birds had; Charlie is bold and mischievous, Isis is talkative and clever; Ghost is shy and gentle. We were so happy we discovered West of England Falconry. We have done lots in Bath during our visit but this is definitely one that we will do again when we return. We can't recommend it highly enough - if we could give it ten stars then we would!

Visited September 2012