“Romantic Valentine's Meal”

Ranked #3 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: BOOKING IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. We are closed from 1st-14th August, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter Sunday & from 1st-14th January. Situated just a few steps away from the Roman Baths, our attractive and atmospheric restaurant is located in a charming candle lit historical cellar of natural Bath stone with vaulted ceilings throughout, and resembles the cavernous cellars of an Italian grotto.The main characteristic of our cuisine is its simplicity. We rely on the quality of our ingredients rather than on elaborate preparation.We also like to offer traditional Italian dishes with a contemporary twist because we strongly believe in those 'Sapori' (flavours).With our finest ingredients coming from Italy, and all of our fresh vegetables, seafood and meats sourced locally, we are able to ensure high quality dining that will exceed your expectations.
Gosport, England, United Kingdom
“Romantic Valentine's Meal”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I heard about this restaurant from a friend who visited Bath and seeing it was the number one restaurant in town I had to book it for Valentines. I booked in January and already was quite full for the evening but the gentleman on the phone managed to get me a table at 9.30 which was perfect.

On the actual night we were greeted very nicely and asked if they could put our coats in the cloakroom which I have not come across in many restaurants before which was a nice touch. We had a lovely table at the back and was given champagne to start. There was only the set menu available but I expected that and it was a great menu. As an Appertive we had Oysters to compliment the champagne. Both had the Beef Capparcio to start which was simple but devine. Then my partner had the Beef as main which was lovely and tender and I had the Champagne Risotto with Scallops, again beautiful. We ordered some Sauté Potatoes and Spinach as sides and by the end of the meal was pleasently full. During the meal i ordered some Veuve Clicquot Rose and the price was great compared to most places I've seen. The desserts weren't that appealing but then I am not a desserts person but my partner enjoyed his. At the end of the meal we were given limoncello shots which was a lovely gesture.

Overall we had a beautiful meal perfect for Valentines and when we left the staff were lovely and all said goodbye. I would definately recommend here and will be back to try the main menu.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant with a welcoming staff”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spent an evening in lovely Bath and decided to try this restaurant as the reviews were on the most good. In didnt disappoint in the slightest. The decor was great and the atmosphere serene and calm. The staff were attentive without going over the top and the food was great. I will make a point of going there again when next in Bath.

• Visited February 2013
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Perfect setting for a romantic evening!!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband was fortunate enough to book a table here at the beginning of the week for Valentine's day and it did not disappoint. Lovely decor(-apparently it has been refurbished during January). Set menu but with good selection. Delicious oysters and prosecco followed by scallops with champagne rissotto and tiramisu for dessert.All cooked to perfection.Service was attentive and expertly executed despite the restaurant being busy.

Visited February 2013
Perpignan, France
“The menu needs to be revised.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The decoration was beautiful, the wine list was ok, the waiters were attentive and friendly but unfortunately the menu was not at the level that one would have expected from an expensive Italian restaurant.

I would say my neighbours' pizza look better than the pasta, the grilled meat and seafood which we ordered at our table. I noticed that fresh ingredients used in the Italian cooking were of a good quality, the presentation was ok but unfortunately the Italian cuisine served were just too simple and the portion 'small'. This was the only disappointment that we had with the restaurant, the simplicity of its menu for the price we paid. We didn't intend to go into a fancy Italian restaurant just to sample a few Italian dishes that were just the regular fare of any ordinary Italian home. We expected better and we knew this place could do better.

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank dgcourriel
Antonio A, General Manager at Sotto Sotto, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Here at Sotto Sotto we are always grateful to hear our guests’ feedback and I am genuinely pleased to hear that you appreciated our ambiance and service. Saying that I would like to take a moment to address your comments.
In regard to your disapproval of our menu I am rather surprised. Our menu is available for viewing on our website and again we have our full menu on display outside our restaurant. One would usually view the menu before choosing to book or enter a restaurant.
In regards to us being an expensive Italian restaurant, we only use the highest quality products including our wines and our prices are set accordingly. We will not compromise our quality by lowering our prices and with average priced starter at £6.50, average dish of pasta at £8.35, and average main at only £15.35 we are considered reasonable by the vast majority of our guests . I can also assure you that our prices are fair compared with other restaurants in Italy, France (where you are from) as well as England. This can easily be verified from a simple internet search comparing like for like establishments. I would also like to clarify that we have spent a lot of time sourcing out the best quality meats, fish, and produce of which we receive fresh deliveries daily. We are proud to say that all of our fresh vegetables, seafood, and meat are sourced locally and that our meat comes from Walter Rose & Son, fish from King Fisher of Brixham and produce from Oliver Kay without mentioning all of the finest ingredients imported from Italy. These companies deliver to many of the fine dining restaurants in the area. Saying this we strongly believe that we are able to serve our guests the highest quality food.
I am wondering why the look of your neighbors' pizza was being compared to the look of our pasta and meat and seafood I honestly can not comment because it’s an absurd analogy. I would never compare the look of an apple to the look of a pear. Here at Sotto Sotto we rely on the quality of our ingredients and not on elaborate preparation.
We are truly sorry that you had an underwhelming experience here with us.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent in every aspect!!! Highly recommended.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I love dinning out but never write reviews.my experience eating @ sotto sotto is unforgettable in a good way. The excellent customer service to mention our server Boris and the very warmth and welcoming owner Antonio. The food was perfection. Very cosy ambience. I have been in few known restaurant here in bath like of those along milsom place but none of them could top the sotto sotto's Italian authentic food.Can't wait for my next visit.