“The best Italian we have been to outside of Italy”
Review of Sotto Sotto

Sotto Sotto
Ranked #2 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: BOOKING IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. We are closed from 1st-14th August, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter Sunday & from 1st-14th January. Situated just a few steps away from the Roman Baths, our attractive and atmospheric restaurant is located in a charming candle lit historical cellar of natural Bath stone with vaulted ceilings throughout, and resembles the cavernous cellars of an Italian grotto.The main characteristic of our cuisine is its simplicity. We rely on the quality of our ingredients rather than on elaborate preparation.We also like to offer traditional Italian dishes with a contemporary twist because we strongly believe in those 'Sapori' (flavours).With our finest ingredients coming from Italy, and all of our fresh vegetables, seafood and meats sourced locally, we are able to ensure high quality dining that will exceed your expectations.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

What an outstanding advert for Italian food this restaurant is. We have been lucky enough to sample the varied and memorable delights of food in Italy on many occasions but this is without doubt the best place we have tried back home. The variety of dishes offered on an impressive menu is superb and the quality and authenticity of the ingredients is worthy of mention too.

Dishes are influenced by a number of Italian regions and many will be familiar to fans of Italian food. They are prepared with care and attention to detail, presented well and deliciously executed. I had the sauteed chicken with Italian suasage and it was exceptional - fiery and flavoursome just as I was hoping (not a subtle dish!). My wife had linguine with seafood and both the pasta and fish were fresh and delicious. Extras like freshly baked bread served with high quality olive oil and balsamic at the start of the meal only add to the impression of a restaurant run by people who really value the heritage of Italian cooking. The complimentary glass of limoncello at the end of the meal was a lovely touch.

The restaurant itself has an inviting atmosphere, partly from the location itself which is secretive and romantic but also because of the welcoming team running it. The staff could not have been more accommodating - warm and attentive with a good sense of humour. We only wish we lived closer to Bath so that we could make a more regular habit of visiting this delightful restaurant!

There are newer reviews for Sotto Sotto

Reviewed October 23, 2012

It says a lot about a restaurant in Bath when it's still busy and buzzing at 10.30pm. All around us tables were filled with diners and friends laughing, chatting and enjoying the warm vibe and fabulous food. No wonder everyone was so at ease - right from the offset the staff here make you feel as if you've stepped into a little local restaurant somewhere in an Italian village, and that you're a long-awaited member of family.
The whole setting is geared towards cosiness, with an uplifting atmosphere that caters to those wanting a relaxed meal with friends, but equally those on a date to either impress or just have a really good night. The exposed brick walls in the vaults are made to glow with lamplight, and exposed beams give a rustic air. We were immediately greeted by the manager himself, Antonio, who treated us like old friends even though we'd only conversed via email. The rest of the staff were equally amazing. From our cheeky waiter Ross, to our gorgeous and delightful waitress Sonia who recommended her favourite dishes on the menu, asked us about our visit, topped up our glasses at precisely the right moment, and was just generally a delight.
But of course atmosphere only counts when the food lives up the hype, and this is where Sotto Sotto really came into its own. The menu is imaginative and original, as well as displaying the usual pasta and pizza dishes. and the prices were completely reasonable. My partner and I decided to share a starter (an incredibly difficult choice), and while we waited we were brought bread so soft and doughy that it was hard not to wolf the whole thing down. And when we asked for more balsamic and olive oil Ross couldn't have been more enthusiastic and prompt, which is very different from some Italian restaurants where, if you ask for more than your initial share, you're treated to a snooty glare. Nothing like that here.
When the starter arrived we were very glad of our choice. We'd plumped for king prawns on a bortelli bean salad, and plump is the word. Five huge, juicy prawns served on a bed of perfectly cooked (ie not too soft) white beans, and it was luckily more like Four-poster than the weeny Futon sizes you sometimes get. There was a delicious taste of chargrill to the whole dish, which was perfectly seasoned with thyme and rosemary.
For main course I was tempted by linguine, but the chance to eat braised centre cut veal shank with gremolata and saffron risotto was too tempting.
When it arrived I was glad I was sharing with a hungry boy! The piece of meat was the size that the bread basket had been, with a sizeable bone sticking from it that, when I pushed into the recesses, erupted with the most delicious, fragrant and rich juice imaginable. I have a thing about gravy - whereby I'm usually a philistine and ask for more, as not enough juice is a pet peeve of mine. But here it was perfect - not too thin, but not stingy. It was rich, tasty and perfectly complimented the risotto, which in its turn had the perfect mix of stodginess and crunch. In all, it was one of the most delicious plates of food I've had in Bath, and it was only the sheer size of the thing that made me leave any, and the fact that the limoncello and white chocolate profiteroles were calling to me. And they were astounding too - light and crispy, with a sauce that balanced the sweetness of white chocolate and tart lemon.
The whole experience made it one of the nicest nights I have had in Bath, both for food and experience from the amazing staff. Antonio should be proud of what he has created - a relaxed, fun atmosphere where the food is astounding but not pretentious or pricey. I will definitely DEFINITELY be going back - last time it was on a romantic date, but next time I think I want to show off and take al my friends.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Fantastic food, wonderful staff and delightful surroundings. We like Italian food but I can confidently say that this is the best we have tried. The staff are very attentive and very friendly making you feel completely at ease. Booking recommended. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

however I believe that this place needs one. Some of my friends had recommended Sotto Sotto to me and I wanted to take my wife out for dinner. I reserved a table for two and we had dinner here a couple of days ago.

To start we had garlic bread and bruscheta. For our entrees my wife had seabass and I had chicken. They offered us sauteed potatoes (since they were out of the chips we had asked for) and they were lovely. everything tasted delicious (I will dream those potatoes for a long long time). We also had a bottle of Pinot grigio and in the end a fantastic limoncelo.

The place is small but welcoming, low lights, full bar, perfect for romantic dinners. Our table for two was close to a small birthday party but we still had our privacy and intimacy.

Luciano (I hope I didn't misspell the name) was terrific and he took great care of us. We were surprised, however, when he told us he had to share his tips with the owner and coworkers. We thought it was unfair given his great job so I decided to give him a personal tip in cash, and told him to keep it for himself. With his tip in his pocket he told us how thankful he was, but it was the least we could do to show our appreciation for his good service.

Definitely best place in town, a must for good Italian food and wine, somewhere you have to go if your visiting this area.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We ate at Sotto Sotto on Saturday evening for our anniversary and from start to finish the whole experience was fantastic. We ate early (5pm) as we were getting a train home and even at this time the restaurant was busy and the atmosphere was fantastic. The food was exceptional and the staff were so welcoming and incredibly attentive, they made our anniversary even more special. Thank you so much for a fabulous evening, we will be back!

1  Thank slbb15