“Delicious!”

Hon Fusion
Ranked #209 of 567 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bath, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having previously lived in Widcombe it's always a treat to be back in the area to spot what has changed. Hon Fusion didn't exist when I lived there but I have noticed it on many occasions when we have stumbled into the Ring O' Bells. This week we decided to stumble across the road and try it out and what a good stumble it was! The service was excellent and food absolutely delicious. The portions are quite large but somehow we struggled through :-) The menu is extensive but gives good tips of what meals are traditional. It's also very reasonably priced...and they do takeaway! We will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
UK/Antigua
“Fantastic food, management style a little less so”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

It took me quite a while to find somewhere within an hour or so's drive to get a good dim sum, which we had decided was the one thing we wanted for a special occasion lunch, so I was delighted to find the listings for Hon Fusion. Having read the reviews, we were also well prepared for the setting, decor and translation problems. We booked online (the website seems well organised and includes menus). No confirmation was ever received, and it was impossible to make contact by phone - they simply don't seem to answer. So I suppose we weren't that surprised to find that there was no sign of a reservation when we arrived, and no decent tables either. We took the best of a poor choice and hoped the food would make all the difference.

Unfortunately, the dim sum menu available differed quite a lot from the one published - not least in terms of being about half as long, with a number of things crossed off as not available. We weren't deterred, and ordered a couple of dishes from the regular menu to supplement. The first thing to arrive, a mixed starter dish, was disappointing. Very overdone - to the point of being burnt - and fairly average in taste. Luckily, that was the only bad thing we had. Everything from the dim sum menu was excellent - beautifully steamed and grilled dumplings, perfect char sui bao, gorgeously soft and sticky chicken buns and fantastic scallops. The rice noodles were perfect, as was my crispy noodle dish, and service was adequate.

We knew we'd got the right spot when the minibus of Chinese diners arrived outside, added to the large number of Chinese students already eating there.

We only drank jasmine tea and a soft drink for my daughter, and the overall bill was far from cheap, but definitely worth it. We will definitely visit again - and would probably aim to arrive a bit earlier to be sure of getting a better table.

The dated decor and unprepossessing exterior didn't worry us at all, but a functioning reservation system would have been lovely, and an acknowledgement of bookings even more helpful - we watched two more tables of people arrive after us with the same problem.

Would certainly recommend, but don't expect a bargain meal.

1 Thank mizgeorge
Fareham
“An excellent chance for an authentic Chinese meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Hon Fusion - or Con Fusion as we now call it, is an odd little place. We dutifully booked a table for 7pm and arrived to find it packed and our table not ready. The staff seemed to think it odd that we should turn up on time and totally unreasonable for us to expect our table to be ready. The place was packed with Chinese students, presumably studying at Bath University, which we saw as a really good sign. All the meals coming past us looked amazing. The menu is extensive and there is a section in English and one in Chinese. There is also a specials board which is just in Chinese. We were seated after a wait of about 20 minutes and selected some very conservative starters. They were very good. When it cam to the mains, I plumped for one written in Chinese on the specials board - big mistake. The waiter asked me a couple of times whether I really wanted that one and I assured him I did, so nobody else was to blame when something resembling a lightly battered fish but which tasted dreadful, arrived. My fellow diners thought this was hilarious and rubbed it in by being very effusive about saying how totally delicious their meals were. We didn't have any puds. We also had beer and green tea to drink, so can't comment on the wine list. All in all a very nice and authentic Chinese meal - provided you don't venture too far from the main menu.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Omnomnomnomnomnom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Large party of friends and I were seated at a table with a lazy susan, so for once it was a doddle to steal some of everyone else's food. And it was worth stealing! Shelter-style king prawns were spicy and fabulous, beef ho fun not at all stodgy but light and delicious, with the beef simply falling apart. Several people chose the salt and pepper tofu, and all were delighted with their choice. Wines and beers are modestly-priced, service efficient, atmosphere hectic and happy with a brisk takeaway trade proceeding over the heads of savvy locals and well-advised visitors. It was my first visit (wrong end of town) but it won't be my last.

Rugby, United Kingdom
“Great food but strange little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Was a bit surprised on arrival to see it looking like a glorified takeaway, and although I'd booked in advance they didn't have me listed, but this wasn't a problem as they found us a table (although this was quite noisy, being near the air-con). Service was quick enough; didn't think too much about the mixed starters but the mains were superb. Wine reasonably priced at £15/bottle. Seemed to be extremely popular for takeaway food as this was disappearing out of the door like wildfire. If you like Chinese food you won't be disappointed here, but be prepared - it ain't posh.

Visited April 2013