“Exceptional food”

Ranked #2 of 574 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Malmesbury
“Exceptional food”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was our second visit. The food was excellent, perfectly cooked with complicated, fresh and intense flavours all adding something to each dish. The wine (white and red) recommended by a very knowledgeable member of staff was spot on. After numerous courses it was good to feel full and totally satisfied but not uncomfortable as you can do in restaurants where butter and cream and very rich sauces are prevalent.
I personally really loved the music but it may not suit everybody.
Couple of issues, the place was really quite cold when we arrived and although it did heat up it never really got very warm. Also the napkins for all of our table of four were wet! They were quickly replaced. I still gave this the highest score as the food and wine were so brilliant.

2 Thank Emma P

Bath, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Couldn't fault this! Incredible food, great service, different courses served at the right pace, nice atmosphere, and brilliant value for what you get. Can't wait to go again.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Awba3
Wells, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Amazing food. Its a shame about the location but definitely one of my favorite places to eat. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Grace P
Bath, United Kingdom
“What a palaver”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Before anything else the food here is faultless but it is let down by a few things. Heavy rock music was playing through inferior speakers upon our arrival, by the end of a long night I was convinced I had tinnitus. Four of us had waited for three months or so to try out this gaff which is definatley fine dinning, but in a café, there isn't much that is elegant about the surroundings. There is a verse of some kind written across one wall in Danish...Danish!
And so after a bit of a wait our waiter came to the table to look at us, my wife broke the silence by asking him if he had come to offer us a drink, he agreed and appertifs were served along with a wine list. I asked the waiter what we would be eating, he said it was a surprise, then how might I order a suitable wine? I suggested he choose and a very nice bottle of red appeared however as the first two courses were fish I would have preferred something lighter. This place holds around twenty five people and is always full but for a chef to plate up twenty five dishes with a pair of oversized tweezers is a painfully slow business, so we sat patiently through five courses, had another bottle of wine, then another to break the tedium. I don't mind waiting for wonderful food but Gordon Jones needs some extra hands in the kitchen, at least to help him plate up.

Although first to arrive we were last to be served, as we had a prior engagement we had made a point of booking early, as it was we jumped ship skipping a course I for one was thoroughly bored with the whole thing. The bill was delivered about £65.00 per head I've paid more for less.

To sum up fantastic food spoilt by a lot of fuss. Would I go back....no

3 Thank tripstar500
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had a wonderful lunch on the weekend - cannot rave enough about the quality of the food and the fabulous menu. The flavors were amazing and varied. For £35 a head it felt like we should have paid 5 times as much. A true gastronomic gem in Bath.

1 Thank SDit54