“Outstanding”

Ranked #1 of 593 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

A very special night - my wife Lynne's big birthday, out with our very best friends hoping for a night of great food. We haven't stopped talking about it since - absolutely outstanding food, all the better for not having to choose and not knowing what was coming next! Every dish was delicate, complex and unique. We all loved every single plate of food - be prepared for your mouth to be filled with wonderful, subtle, ever changing flavours. Take the wine 'flight' - carefully chosen wines to complement each course - it makes all the difference and ensures you get the very best from the food.
Great service too, with every dish and every wine enthusiastically described.

It's all about the food at Gordon Jones - and that's fine with us - highly recommended.

1  Thank AndyDR

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Menu Gordon Jones on a couple of occasions and have the food and service to be outstanding. It's a small restaurant so you have to book considerably well in advance but its well worth the wait.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We visited for the first time in April 2012, followed rapidly by another visit in June and booked again for this visit to celebrate my birthday.

It is not that we are so naive, in gastronomic terms, or that we can't find anywhere else to visit, rather than we are so discerning (some would say hard to please !) and we truly know we have found somewhere astonishingly fabulous. We live and work nearby and have always been rather disappointed with the restaurants in and around Bath.

Menu Gordon Jones is in what used to be a wine-bar, its an odd shape and on a rather busy corner BUT the service provided by Sarah with the dancing, mischevious twinkling eyes, the lovely bio-dynamic wine (which means no after effects) along with the sublime food means that you rapidly forget your surroundings and focus on the outstanding food.

We are also very appreciative that this genius of a chef is not interested in charging the prices he could acheive for this simply wonderful food, has no intention to expand to increase his turnover and never cashes-in, like other businesses, on all the occasions such as Mothers Day.

We particularly enjoy the decor in this restaurant, the odd and funky floral arrangements, the quirky coloured glass water jugs and of course his choice of music (lots of Oasis and cool British music).

I love the fact that we never know what will be served and equally accept that sometimes a dish might not be to my particular taste. I am not a fan of panna cotta for instance. But I have only ever been served dishes that present an interesting combination of flavours, innovative ingredients and styles - for instance - seagull egg with asparagus soldiers - and they are always perfectly cooked and seasoned.

I adored the flavoured bread, served in a paper bag with test tubes of different oils, and particularly the tiny soup/amuse bouche which is impossibly light and creamy and always bursting with flavour.

We always try and book again as soon as we arrive, this restaurant is understandly always booked out for several months ahead.

Where else in the world could you possibly eat Michelin quality food, served beautifully at this price?

He righly deserved his Bath Chef of the Year award and we are lucky to have him.

2  Thank lovetravel1214
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Second time we've dined here, and once again they beat our expectations (we even booked today's meal before we left the restaurant after our first visit back in August). The food was just as good as the first time, if not better. Still smacking my lips thinking about that candied orange with the duck heart on top of the gurnard.

With each course I really had to stop myself licking the plate; I don't even do that at home.

It's not always about the food, but the experience too. Sarah was lovely, welcoming and warm. Sadly I didn't catch the name of the other girl who worked with Sarah, but she was also warm and friendly.

Cannot recommend MGJ enough and we're plotting and planning a 3rd, 4th and 5th visit.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is really quite an exceptional restaurant. We were there for a Thursday lunch with friends and had one of the best meals I have had in a long time. The restaurant is rather unprepossessing from the outside and is in a rather unfashionable part of Bath but more than makes up for it. Adventurous Michelin star quality food (2 stars?) and charming, friendly service. The only thing was that there seemed to be no menu so choosing the wine from the very reasonably priced wine list needed a bit of a prompt from the waitress. £75 a head but that was with quite a few bottles of wine. Can't wait to go back and would not hesitate to recommend it.