“Just perfect!”

Ranked #5 of 618 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Lunch at MGJ was brilliant and I loved being able to chat to Gordon while he painstakingly prepared each dish. We had the 5 course lunch with wine flight which I would recommend as it gives you the opportunity to try some very unusual wines. Each course was a work of art but more importantly each one tasted wonderful. The waiting staff are charming and the atmosphere genuinely unstuffy for a place serving such excellent food. Gordon is a star in the making - and he doesn't even swear in the kitchen! Catch him while you can - and Gordon please don't change!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to Bath I decided to try the much lauded MGJ. It was worth the visit.
I was a Solo diner on a midweek lunch time and I had one of the most memorable dining experiences I've had in a long while. Food highlights , for me , were the Turbot with haggis and the beautiful dessert which included a "to die for" chocolate cream and a take on an Indian styled frozen yoghurt ( amongst other elements)
The service was a joy with my Flight of Wine carefully and elegantly described at each course by the most eloquent front of house person. Although this place is a foodie type haven there are little quirks which actually made it for me....the kitchen is very open to the floor and at one stage I was conversing ,from my table,with the chef about the cooking. I imagine if I were in a top London eaterie I would be " financially fleeced" for having the ChefsTable! The floor staff wore jeans,the decor was eclectic and was that actually Kings of Leon I listened to through course 4?? The star of the show undoubtedly though was what was on the plate. I say fair play to Mr Gordon Jones.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I reviewed Menu Gordon Jones last April and gave it five stars (like most people), well, I was lucky enough to be taken there again for my birthday and it was better, so what do award it now? Mr Jones is a truly talented chef; having no menu and cooking whatever sounds good that day is very brave, but it works. His creativity and skill are amazing, every course worked superbly and together they formed a meal that I cannot criticise in way - tastes, quantities, presentation, service, all perfect . I love the informality and conviviality, getting a table here is a real privilege - and that is not something I would say about any other restaurant I have visited.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went with 3 friends for the taster menu and wine flight. We booked 5 months ago and have been looking forward to it ever since. We were not disappointed - it was worth the wait.
The restaurant is intimate, the staff are knowledgeable and the food was fantastic.
We had a great view of the open kitchen watching the chefs create the magic dishes.
Can't remember all of the courses but included eel, brill, venison and a pudding that tasted of parma violets!
If i could rate this higher then i would - possibly the best meal I've ever had.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Could not fault the food and the excellent value. A great experience and birthday treat for me! The only slight glitch was a very long delay before the dessert course but I'd rather have waited than eaten some thing less than perfect, which, indeed, it was. I hope to return if we can get a booking!