“Wow!”

Ranked #1 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We went to MGJ to celebrate our wedding anniversary. it is a small, informal looking restaurant, which belies the taste sensations that were awaiting us! The price is £35 pp. This includes, an amuse bouche, a starter, a fish course, a main course, a palate cleanser/pre-desert and pudding.
You do not know what you are getting, and i am sure that if you informed them in advance of allergies/dislikes they would cater to you.
Sarah, FOH and waitress is probably one of the most genuinely enthusiastic servers I have ever had the pleasure of being served by:) She was well trained, friendly, sweet and you knew that she understood the dishes she was serving to us.Bear in mind this experience can take up to 3 hours if the restaurant is full, but we were there to enjoy the experience and not rush. Such is the popularity of MGJ even on a Thursday and not being in the centre of Bath it was full, and at least two couples were turned away.
Two types of home made bread were served warm in a brown paper bag, with thick balsamic in a test tube and Basil oil in a beaker which was fun:) We had an Amuse Bouche of Cauliflower and Truffle Espuma, Quail with pheasant egg, Gurnard with fresh Asparagus and a Citrus dressing and Rose Veal. A delicious sorbet with a mint and cucumber gelee with Kale juice, and a hot souffle of raspberry and peach, with a tiny chocolaty surprise at the bottom served with the creamiest cereal ice cream. All beautifully presented and cooked. Clean, interesting flavours, well seasoned, each course a delight.
The wine list is good, with many wines available by the glass. I had a NZ Sauvignon Blanc, which wasn't as round a taste as I prefer, but not bad.
The only criticisms were. The choice and volume of the music. Indie pop and Bob Dylan not really suited to the atmosphere. Personally i don't think any music is necessary in this type of establishment. I also didn't care for the 'floral' arrangements, which I thought looked out of place, they were trying a bit too hard to be outre, but looked a bit scruffy. IMO. However, these are minor things, because the real stars are Gordon and his sous chef, Sarah FOH and the truly fabulous food. We can't wait to return.

3  Thank Allvox
There are newer reviews for Menu Gordon Jones

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I put my faith in TripAdvisor once again to determine where to end my honeymoon and I wasn't disappointed! We walked in and were warmly greeted by the chef and hostess. The restaurant only had 6 tables inside, felt cosy but yet still spacious and the music was of good taste.

There was no menu as I'd expected from other reviews, but other than that we both had no idea what to expect. We were thrown off guard straight away with the first 'course' of freshly baked bread served with a chemical beaker of olive oil and test tube of balsamic vinegar! After that, we just couldn't wait for each subsequent course and were not disappointed! I won't list the courses we had as I'm certain it will be different for everyone depending on what chef cooks that day, but the highlight for me was the scrambled pheasant egg (it was so tasty I wanted to eat the shell)! There was use of high quality ingredients and the combinations of taste and texture were fun and unique. The service was attentive (my wife getting served first) and knowledgable.

We were lucky enough to get a table at this restaurant having only called up a few days in advance and placed ourselves on the waiting list - however I would highly recommend booking well in advance (I heard Saturday bookings are full for at least a couple of months). At £35 (going up to £40 shortly) for the tasting menu, it represents incredible value for money and we would come back to Bath just to visit this restaurant!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

A tentative "5" because the format might not appeal to everybody (lunch will take a couple of hours and it is a set menu though my veggie friends have enjoyed meals there too).

About a month ago I used the Tripadvisor app to look at restaurants in Bath (just out of interest, as a local). I saw the number of glowing reviews and thought "yeah, right"!...It didn't seem like a great location but made a mental note to give it a try one day when we had a couple of hours free. Yes, you will need a couple of hours+

On a very wet Thursday morning in April we were able to get a table without any trouble that lunchtime (but I would book to go again). The chef cooked for 5 (on 3 tables) that lunchtime. It's a small, thin, unstuffy restaurant on a bend on one of the main roads out of Bath and the chefs operate from one end of the room behind a 1/2 wall. I have never sat for more than a few minutes watching traffic before; it was strangely hypnotic (or was that the great food and wine?).

The 5 course taster menu (an absolute steal at £25, but I think the price is rising to £30) was fantastic. Wines seemed to hover at the £33-£40 mark (several were also available by the glass) and the waitress suggested that she selected glasses of wine to match the food (3 good-sized glasses came in at £20 - the couple next to us went for a desert wine too).

Apart from the smell of meat searing when we walked through the door (which we soon guessed would be lamb of some sort), we were left in suspense about what we were to be served until it came round from the kitchen. I'm guessing that makes the wine-matching option very popular.

We loved the food, and I would happily bring most of my friends here, but I can see that 30% of my dining companions might not enjoy having great food that didn't meet their faddy needs or would prefer just a couple of courses (there are plenty of other places in Bath that can meet their needs).

The flavours were strong; lovely flavour combinations (nothing spicey - just modern European) and the presentation was beautiful. The only weird thing was that we were served espressos from paper (espresso) cups - eh? We rarely season with salt (except on chips) so we did notice that courses were well seasoned.

If you love quality contemporary cooking, without the pretention, come here. If you want lots of pretention (and a very pretty garden), go to the Priory and remember to look a bit smarter.

If the owners are reading, please shift this place down to Widcombe!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I am lucky enough to have eaten in some great places in my time but this has to be the best. Forget the opulence of Le Manoir. The venue is small and simple. They stagger only a few covers in an evening. Chef is an artistic genius with a great sense of humour and he is quite willing to be completely unconventional. We even had Scrambled Seagull’s egg which are only available for 6 weeks in a year and have to be specially licenced!

No menu’s just let them take you on a journey in both extraordinary taste experience and the perfect wine to match. I couldn’t fault it. It’s very clear why this is number one in Bath.

Expect to book an age in advance but look forward to it. It’s actually amazing value too. In bigger more famous restaurants you’d pay three time this for a lessor quality.

3  Thank Jon_Godfrey
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just a fantastic experience, 6 courses, all a suprise, all totally created by someone who must be in line to be THE Gordon of the cullinary world, by no means just another Gordon, this chef, on view to all his diners creates 12 covers each night with total professionalism, even managing to answer the diners many questions as he goes, a true star in the making......BOOK EARLY!!

2  Thank chelletom