“OK, but a word of warning”

The New Crown Inn and Pub
The New Crown Inn and Pub
Ranked #81 of 160 Bath B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“OK, but a word of warning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The room at the New Crown Inn is absolutely fine. Clean, comfortable and basic. They don't serve a full breakfast, but supply cereal in the room, which was fine... there's a nice cafe serving really good coffee and cooked breakfasts just round the corner. It's budget accommodation and that's what you get.
However, the pub... we had thought that we could go for a few pints in the pub in the evening. Not really an option. If you don't live within walking distance of the pub, it's not an option.
If all you want is a cheap bed that's pretty close to the city centre, this place is fine. If you think it would be nice to stay in a lovely west country pub, pop in for a drink and maybe eat, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you're wanting a standard bb & b - don't go here! But if you're wanting something a bit different, secluded yet close to city centre, this could be the right place. We too stayed in the garden room, found it very quiet though we were there at weekend, very clean, self-service breakfast (what's wrong with a Foster's fridge, for goodness sake, what do you expect for £30 each?!!). The only down-side for us was the limited on-street parking.

Room Tip: Go for the garden flat!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bathman
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had dinner with group of 66. The restaurant just too small for a large group and made some 0f the participant felt not comfortable with the seat arrangement. They served good food, Group max 30 will be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
kristianBath, Owner at The New Crown Inn and Pub, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
I agree our pub is not suitable for 66 diners. Firstly, we do not have a restaurant and secondly, we ca'nt even seat 66 people in the bar, let alone feed them!
Is'nt it sad when somebody takes the trouble to write a review but they do'nt know where they've been. It certainly was'nt here!
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have stayed at the New Crown in Weston, Bath many times and am very happy with it.
I have stayed most times in the Garden Room - the same room as the previous reviewer and found her comments very surprising.

The room has a single and double bed, small flat screen tv, breakfast table with plates, cutlery, cereals etc. The fridge has always had milk in, although I have always bought my own from the local shop as I prefer skimmed milk.
The floor of the room is fully tiled.
I agree that the decor is slightly dated, but have always found the room and bedclothes to be clean and have never experienced any strange smells in the room.
The wireless internet connection in the room is excellent and fast.
The bathroom has a shower and WC, together with a heated towel rail and ample towels. I have never had problem with the shower temperature changing, the only small niggle in the bathroom is that the light flickers for about 7-8 seconds when first entering the internal bathroom, but then stays on as normal with internal extractor fan running.
I find the price of £30 excellent for this room and its location - it is in the heart of a very nice village with all amenities one would need:

1 supermarket and 1 corner shop
Indian and Italian restaurant
Several pubs
Excellent cafe with fresh produce and occasional live jazz music
Post Office
Laundry and flower shop
Hairdressers
plus many other small shops.

It is 10-15 minute walk into the heart of Bath (mainly through the beautiful Royal Victoria Gardens), or 3-4 minutes by bus which runs frequently from just across the road.

I hope this review was helpful.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DRYork
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

I am certainly not stuck up and I visited this B&B as part of a group visit in order for us to all visit family. We booked out three rooms in total and were expecting a basic but clean place to stay. It was £30 per person for the night with an option of a cooked breakfast for £4 extra.... or so it said on the internet.

On arriving I was taken out into the beer garden to a room for myself and my partner. On entering the room there was a smell of cigarettes and beer, but the window was open and the beer garden had a few people in it so I just thought the smell was from there. The landlady then advised that there was milk in the fridge and cereal, which are all in the room, she then said "I don't do a breakfast". I was baffled for a minute but thought I would find out what was agreed as by my sister-in--law who had booked it. The landlady requested we payup now and not in the morning. I agreed to this but asked her for an iron as we would be going out.

The Iron was brought straight to the room but had clearly never been tested and was filthy. The room was generally clean howver the smell did not improve. There was an old fashioned and basic decor and funishings but that would never put me off. The fridge was a 'Fosters Larger' mini fridge but we found this amusing to a degree and decided just to put up with the few issues as we were only staying for the night and did not want to make a fuss.

As we were getting ready the shower was repeatedly going from freezing to boiling and at one point burnt my tummy, I was not impressed as am 6 months pregnant, but again I took a deep breath and decided to just get on with it.

I popped up to my brothers room to speak to him and he told me that the landlady had told him to be out by 10am the next morning as she was going away and didnt have much time to tend to the rooms, he was also told that there is no breakfast as she would still be in bed when we get up!

I ignored the huge cob web hanging from his ceiling as thought at this point it was part of the asthetics.

We then went out for the night....

I the morning I got up and made a cup of tea, but was not impressed with the slight cottage cheese effect in my cup! I telephoned my brother to warn him as he would be feeding their 2 year old son cereal and I didnt want him to get sick, my brother checked his fridge and it was actually unplugged!

At this I decided to leave as we didnt have any idea where the private part of the building was in order to find the landlady.

Room Tip: Not a good place/value for money!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
kristianBath, Owner at The New Crown Inn and Pub, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
We do our best to give great value for money and must point out that it states on our website that we only provide a light breakfast but a cooked one is available on request. The guest didnt mention they would like a cooked breakfast, if she had we would have cooked one.
As to the point the fridge was turned off. It was definatly on in the morning when I cleaned the room. The little boy could have turned it off when he was playing as its easily done.
The point about having to leave by 10am. Most places you stay ask you to vacate the room by this time. If my guests are leaving on a Sunday they can stay as late as they like. I often have them leave mid afternoon.
Anywhere you stay for one night, as a rule, asks for payment up front because the odd guest will do a runner leaving you out of pocket.
I have thrown the iron away and bought a new one.
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed here with a friend as we were visiting the Thermae Spa, the room was comfortable and clean and Penny made us feel very welcome. Was only a 20 minute from the city centre, this accommodation is great value for money and would recommend to anyone visiting bath for a short break. There is off street parking but sometimes busy so may need to park a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank claireSouthampton
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed with two friends for one night (Saturday) at the New Crown. Most B&Bs and guesthouses in Bath only accept bookings for at least two nights over a weekend so this place was ideal. The room was clean and functional and gave us everything we needed. Very affordable and good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends