“Would strongly advise you against this place!”

and 1 more site!
The New Crown Inn and Pub
Ranked #82 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Would strongly advise you against this place!”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I am certainly not stuck up and I visited this B&B as part of a group visit in order for us to all visit family. We booked out three rooms in total and were expecting a basic but clean place to stay. It was £30 per person for the night with an option of a cooked breakfast for £4 extra.... or so it said on the internet.

On arriving I was taken out into the beer garden to a room for myself and my partner. On entering the room there was a smell of cigarettes and beer, but the window was open and the beer garden had a few people in it so I just thought the smell was from there. The landlady then advised that there was milk in the fridge and cereal, which are all in the room, she then said "I don't do a breakfast". I was baffled for a minute but thought I would find out what was agreed as by my sister-in--law who had booked it. The landlady requested we payup now and not in the morning. I agreed to this but asked her for an iron as we would be going out.

The Iron was brought straight to the room but had clearly never been tested and was filthy. The room was generally clean howver the smell did not improve. There was an old fashioned and basic decor and funishings but that would never put me off. The fridge was a 'Fosters Larger' mini fridge but we found this amusing to a degree and decided just to put up with the few issues as we were only staying for the night and did not want to make a fuss.

As we were getting ready the shower was repeatedly going from freezing to boiling and at one point burnt my tummy, I was not impressed as am 6 months pregnant, but again I took a deep breath and decided to just get on with it.

I popped up to my brothers room to speak to him and he told me that the landlady had told him to be out by 10am the next morning as she was going away and didnt have much time to tend to the rooms, he was also told that there is no breakfast as she would still be in bed when we get up!

I ignored the huge cob web hanging from his ceiling as thought at this point it was part of the asthetics.

We then went out for the night....

I the morning I got up and made a cup of tea, but was not impressed with the slight cottage cheese effect in my cup! I telephoned my brother to warn him as he would be feeding their 2 year old son cereal and I didnt want him to get sick, my brother checked his fridge and it was actually unplugged!

At this I decided to leave as we didnt have any idea where the private part of the building was in order to find the landlady.

Room Tip: Not a good place/value for money!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
kristianBath, Owner at The New Crown Inn and Pub, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
We do our best to give great value for money and must point out that it states on our website that we only provide a light breakfast but a cooked one is available on request. The guest didnt mention they would like a cooked breakfast, if she had we would have cooked one.
As to the point the fridge was turned off. It was definatly on in the morning when I cleaned the room. The little boy could have turned it off when he was playing as its easily done.
The point about having to leave by 10am. Most places you stay ask you to vacate the room by this time. If my guests are leaving on a Sunday they can stay as late as they like. I often have them leave mid afternoon.
Anywhere you stay for one night, as a rule, asks for payment up front because the odd guest will do a runner leaving you out of pocket.
I have thrown the iron away and bought a new one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
southampton
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed here with a friend as we were visiting the Thermae Spa, the room was comfortable and clean and Penny made us feel very welcome. Was only a 20 minute from the city centre, this accommodation is great value for money and would recommend to anyone visiting bath for a short break. There is off street parking but sometimes busy so may need to park a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank claireSouthampton
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed with two friends for one night (Saturday) at the New Crown. Most B&Bs and guesthouses in Bath only accept bookings for at least two nights over a weekend so this place was ideal. The room was clean and functional and gave us everything we needed. Very affordable and good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shawn24_11
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed at the New Crown Inn for my hen in May with 6 other of my friends. The b&b was clean, basic rooms but ideal location for visiting Bath centre. There is free street parking but need to get there early.

I went to the Therma Spa for the day and was able to walk in, took about 20mins. In the evening we caught a taxi, which was only 10mins.

Penny was relaxed about what time we arrived back in the evening and allowed us to check out at a time convenient for us. Just round the corner from the b&b there was a cafe, coffee shop, which was ideal for breakfast.

I would recommend the New Crown Inn for a stay in Bath - it was perfect for my hen party.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cat_52011
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I was easantly surprised when we were shown our room, it had everything we needed and that liitle bit more. Would highly recommend, thanks for a lovely week. Gareth..

• Stayed May 2011