“"Safe hands"”

Colonna and Small's Speciality Coffee
Ranked #1 of 47 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“"Safe hands"”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Every time i visit C & S I always wake away with a new experience and different flavour in my mouth to enjoy while it's hot. I have been to many coffee shops all over the world in Oz, Melbourne, New York City, London and this little place has to be hands done the most consistent on quality and satisfaction. Thank you Team C & S and best of luck in the Bath Life Awards you deserve to win.

• Visited March 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bath, United Kingdom
“Think Wine Bar But Servicing Coffee”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

A real gem, located on Queen's Sq in Bath. After reading about this coffee shop I was desperate to experience it for myself. It is unlike most coffee shops. They offer 3 different coffees every week and the blackboard states what it tastes like with just hot water and then with milk added, as it will taste different. Reading the tasting guide is like reading a wine bottle. You could definitely taste the quality in the coffee. A real bit of sophistication and indulgence. The staff are friendly, approachable and down-to-earth. The atmosphere reflected that which is a good balance as you could wonder if it maybe a bit too posh, but it was just a really good quality coffee shop. There is a choice of pastries and treats. If you are visiting Bath (or a local) and want to try an independent coffee shop there is a huge choice but I would definitely recommend Colonna and Small's if you are a coffee lover.

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom
“Coffee lover's paradise”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Being married to a passionate coffee roaster (man, not machine) we had to try this place when visiting Bath. The owner is the UK barista champion for 2012. We were impressed!

The atmosphere was laid back yet clinical and trendy. The decor, museum-like yet relaxed. The staff were almost coffee surgeons - without being coffee bores. There was a limited selection of roasts which (I gather) change weekly. You can drink these selections however you prefer, with tasting notes to compliment your choices. The filter coffees are only served black, much to my husband's delight.

We tried 3 espressos and 2 filters between us (one aeropress, one clever dripper), They were all very impressive.

Our young children sampled the delicious shortbread selection and were not disappointed!

Most importantly the service was immaculate, and the prices very reasonable. The baristas happily explained the origins of each cup and provided top class service. Maxwell was happy to have a coffee-geek conversation with my husband regarding pressures of his strada machine and the nuances of various roasts!

Needless to say, we will be back!

Bath, United Kingdom
“Unique experience for coffee lovers”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a self-confessed coffee lover and addict. Most of the time, finding a good coffee consists of pure chance, depending on the time, location, barista and many other factors. Not any more it would seem. These guys take their coffee very seriously (too seriously for some it would seem - apparently it's a crime to be dedicated and passionate these days) and treat it as it deserves to be treated, a complex product with many different factors contributing to the overall taste. I had a filter coffee which was really complex and it was possible to pick out different flavours - it was almost like a wine or a tea rather than what would typically be considered a coffee. Since they change the menu regularly I'll certainly be coming back. Only negative commments were that it's a little packed on a Saturday and that the latte my wife had was a bit suspect in the milk department (although I never drink lattes so I may just have been put off by the milkiness of it)

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Fantastic coffee and a lovely relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I really love this place! It's somewhere I go with friends if we're looking for something a bit nicer than all the chains in the centre of town, or on my own if I fancy a bit of peace and quiet. It's very spacious and has a nice laid back atmosphere. It's always pretty full when I go there, but you manage to find somewhere to sit - be that on one of the benches, on a bar stool or outside in the little patio. The service is still very fast - there's not normally a queue of more than 1-2 people.

I know very little about coffee, but I always find the staff helpful in recommending something to try. If you don't appreciate being told not to put milk/sugar in your coffee then I guess you could find it a bit patronising, but I'm quite happy to learn from them. The difference in taste (particularly in the filter coffees) compared to most other coffee shops in Bath really surprised me.

It's a great place for a coffee and cake break, but there's no lunch menu/paninis etc.

PS. Try the apple and cinnamon cake - it's amazing!

• Visited December 2012