“Revolting hovel - don't stay here”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Had to book this hotel as it was the only one around the centre of Bath that would take a one night reservation - now I know why. Tiny single room fitted into the eaves of the building. Single bed - very uncomfortable, awful bedlinen, heating didn't work, furniture basic and old, carpet disgusting, windows rotten with peeling paper and mould, bathroom mouldy with an Ikea children's plate used as soap dish (!). Paper thin walls. Communal areas slightly better but dated - needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to today's standards. On the plus side, very close to town.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank cazza0

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Just read the other reviews and you will get an idea of what this hotel is like. Run down and in need of an awful lot of TLC. I have to say that the man on reception was very helpful. There are only 10 parking spaces so we got there at 10.30 knowing that check out was as 11am. He asked us to wait and as soon as a space became available we went into it. On checking out Sunday morning he said we could leave the car there until 5pm. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Please please read the reviews and don't for one minute think that they are over stating the truth.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank lesleyhyatt
Reviewed December 4, 2010

This has to be the worst place I've ever stayed in. We had a horribly cramped room with a radiator that didn't work (heating via fan heater), no heating at all in the grotty bathroom, curtain hanging off the tape, raging draught through windows that could be opened no more than 6 inches (fire regs???), miserably small wardrobe and no drawer space. There was hot water but the basin taps could not be switched off, the basin was so small you couldn't fit the kettle under the tap to fill it, there was mould on the ceiling and in the shower, no shelves to put toiletries on (apart from one rusty wire basket), a filthy extractor fan and a hook falling off the door. We tried to watch TV but could only get ITV and Channel 4. All in all a DUMP. There was absolutely no sign of food anywhere (though I am sure I was told breakfast was included) and very little sign of life generally. I do not recognise the hotel from its website pictures. Surely there must be somebody somewhere who can stop the management of this so-called hotel from charging such outrageous prices for such appalling accommodation!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
11  Thank AHWSussex
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I'll start with the good bits - the rooms were clean (ish) and the beds, whilst noisy were comfortable.
But it stops there. There are 10 (yes i mean 10) parking spaces only that you need a smart car to get into - don't even think about parking a family car.
Having parked my car at the other side of Bath (and walked back) we had to take our bags upstairs - up 3 flights of the steepest stairs imaginable.
The bathroom door didn't even have a lock, and the shower dispensed scalding or freezing - there was no in-between.
The decor is dated. The worst thing being we thought our combination of lime green walls, black/grey wallpaper, disgusing curtains and ancient carpet were dreadful - our friends said it was far nicer than theirs - so you can imagine how awful the others were.
Friends said their televisions and lights flickered as they walked past and buzzed all night - surely a fire hazard. others said they had to wedge their window open all night with a kettle because the heating was so stifling hot.
And then there's breakfast - they did bring toast. The juice was the cheapest imaginable. There were 2 pieces of curled up cheese and one of some nameless ham. A chice of cornflakes, alpen, muesli or some other nameless cereal. No rolls, no croissants, no pain. Even the coffee was from a coffee dispenser - not fresh.

I think in all apart from the parking there was nothing that some good management couldn't remedy - but instead the staff were rude and completely disinterested. Even the parking would have been improved if we didn't have to traipse our own bags upstairs and back down. Things that were broken could have been fixed for little money - andf a helpful smile and attitiude would go a long way.

I loved Bath - but you couldn't pay me to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010
4  Thank Wardie41
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Stayed at the Redcar to visit the Christmas market. Only wished I had read the reviews before booking. I have stay in many hotels in the UK and throughout most of europe, but this is without doubt the worst hotel that it has been my misfourtune so far to have stayed in. The reception and public area's lull you into a false sence of optimisim as they are fairly reasonable, but beware, because as soon as you start to climb the stairs the true horror becomes very real. A hotel the Redcar is most certainly not, a hostel for the homeless is a much truer discription, as when you enter the bedroom, your worst nightmares are right there in front of you. We stayed in room 109, or a better discription would be box 109. The door handle came off in my hand and the guy on reception had to come and fix it back on.The walls were a dark purple, which went well with the horrible carpet and I use the word carpet loosely. The one small window was badly fitting and had a "curtain" the did not even cover the window properly. As we were here over the weekend of the 27th November it was a very cold night and the wind blew through the window onto the poor sod (me) who was up against the window as this is where the bed was stuck. You had to climb across the bed as you could not walk around it. I have never before voluntarily slept on a bag of "coal". The "bed" was completely knackered, with every spring showing clearly against the cover. The bathroom was not even big enough to dry yourself in, you had to get out to do that properly. The shower had mould inside and some brown rust looking substance on the outside. The toilet was stained, clearly not having been cleaned properly for some time. There was no shaver point or glasses in the bathroom, which for an £85 a night "hotel" was very poor.

Everything that has been said about the car park is true, 8? parking spaces for 40 rooms is clearly not a car park. Most of the cars in the car park seemed to be for the workers who appeared to live in the "hotel" and shouted out the window if one should dare to try and squeeze in behind them. The on-street parking is for 2 hours only on a meter.

I would only stayed here again if convicted of a crime and my sentence was to be locked up at the Redcar. I would not recommend the Redcar to my worst enemy. You have been warned, stay here at you peril.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank keng810
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Customer service???? The polish man behind reception is the rudest man i have ever meet.I do not have a problem with foreign workers, i do have a problem with in our country learn our customer service skills. After a car parking nightmare,we realised the car park is for the workers!!! I watched a car move out of a space so went in to it, after being shouting at out of the window i continued to park then went in to check in and was told my car would b towed away if i left it there!! He was very aggresive the whole time, telling me what did i expept from a cheap hotel!!! A little bit of respect wouldn't go a miss, if there had been any vacant hotels in Bath we would have gone. The hotel had been booked for the parking, as it states they have it! I wouldn't stay there again if you payed me!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Joking13
Reviewed October 4, 2010

This hotel is in a great location close to city centre and sights. The room we had was basic and could do with some tender loving care. Hot water was boiling hot (take care with showers). The hotel needs lots of money spending on it to bring it up to any where near two star standard. For convenience stay there but spend most of your time out and about in Bath!!!

• Stayed: October 2010