“could be a lot better - depends on the room you are put in”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #32 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I get the impression from reading these reviews it really depends what room you are put in. I stayed there for my hen do and in total my group had 5 rooms booked. I was in a twin room right up the top over looking the car park.

I'm sorry, but my stay here has got to be two of the most uncomfortable nights I've ever had! Cleanliness wasn't great but, my god, was the bed uncomfortable! I was unable to sleep most of the first night due to the extremely uncomfortable matteress! I could feel every spring and spent most of the night trying to aviod being stabbed with them! I can only assume the matteress was very old, either that or very cheap! One of my friends complained on my behalf as I was shattered the next day (which was supposed to be my hen activity and night out). They made a big point of saying that they had replaced the entire bed when in reality all they had dome was stick a few blankets on the matress so I couldn't feel the springs as much! it was exactly the same bed and mattress!

As the room was up in the roof the celing in the bathroom was sloping so you could not stand up in the shower. The floor of the room was not level which meant the wardrobe was not very stable. I think I was put in one of the worst rooms in the hotel as I understand from my friends that their rooms were not as bad!

The rest of the hotel was ok, a bit shabby chic!

As a group we had booked 2 single rooms, 3 double rooms and 1 triple room. When we arrived the hotel were very keen to swap a single and double room for a triple room so they could accomodate a friend. They originally asked my friend and I if they could do this and we said no as the people who we had booked those rooms for did not know each other and therefore shouldn't have to share a triple room. We thought they had accepted this but we later found out that after we had said no they went and asked the girls who would be staying in those rooms if they could share so they could give the rooms they had booked to their friend. My friends felt pressured to say yes and accept the triple room. I was extremely annoyed with this as they went behind our back after I had said no.

The breakfast was ok but overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! A hotel is supposed to be a place to sleep but I could not even do that!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Redcar Hotel

Reviewed May 15, 2009

The Redcar Hotel was very comfortable and beautifully furnished. Our room had a large canopy bed with a modern bathroom. Even better was the staff!!! We had planned on traveling to Liverpool from Bath, but we had no idea how to get to the appropriate connecting trains. They were most helpful and answered all questions they could and when they couldn't, they made phone calls and got the answers for me. They even printed timetables and other information from online sources for me. The hotel has a very nice bar and sitting area, and the breakfast was delicious. The location is great too...a few minutes walk leads to shops and restaurants, including Bath Abbey.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tfccjoyce
Reviewed April 14, 2009

The hotel's website gives the impression that it is a contemporary hotel with a friendly atmosphere. We were utterly disappointed and rather disgusted by the hotel. The room was dirty and very dated. The bedspreads were dirty and needed chucking in the bin. It felt so dirty we used half the towels provided to put down on the carpet to walk on! and we contemplated sleeping with our clothes on so save having to get into the bed.
There was a horrible smell in the corridors - similar to that of industrial sanitary bins...not nice!!
Luckily we only had to endure one night in this hotel!
I felt that for £80 we should have got a bit more for our money - just in terms of general cleanliness!
As someone else mentioned...the hotel inspector is needed here BIG TIME!!
The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the situation - it is 5 minutes from the centre...which is great.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Upside: really, central.

I paid £80 for a double. V cheap, too cheap even.

For that, the hotel obliged with a mouldly shower; no hot water in shower (although they did fix after my complaint);leaking shower hose (not fixed); v dark room; lumpy mattress with springs pinging all over the place; original 1970's headboard (can they really last 30+ years); Rusty shower-tidy thing;cheapo wardrobe which almost toppled on top of me.

My friend's room was swarming with clothes moths and evidence of multliple splattings on the walls & not cleaned up. Her bed also stank of wee.

Breakfast; Bacon looked fatty and anaemic. Eggs cut up in weird 4"x4" shape.

A bit unfortunate, really.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Initially after reading the horror stories here I was a little skeptical and more than a little hesitant about my choice of the Redcar Hotel. Instead, my friend and I were very pleasantly surprised by the accomodations provided by the hotel. It is a hotel converted from period houses so naturally there is no elevator. That we expected and we have no quarrel with that. The interior of our rooms are nice and clean with all the amenities one would expect from a hotel. The complimentary breakfast was great: a buffet for a full English breakfast together with fruit and cereal. Pretty nice spread for breakfast.

I would admit that there some minor things like a TV that sorts of fuzzes up when one walks by, creaky floorboards, stuck windows and stuff like that but hey... let's face it. It's not the Ritz and one is paying prices like 70 pounds for a large ensuite room with a dresser and a mock fireplace. For that amount of money, the place is decent for a good night's rest. Besides, one's here to see Bath and not stay in the hotel and watch TV in the room.

If you don't go looking under beds, tops of cupboards or inside drawers for monsters, you won't find them. Treat it as a place to rest and recharge for another day of sightseeing and fun in Bath and one would be pleasantly surprised by the Redcar Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Update -

After about a week of email / phone negotiations, the hotel agreed to compensate me for the damages incurred to my car by paying me £150 for damages and additionally offered me 1 nights free stay. Thanks to Jess (the manager) for understanding my point of view.

So, in retrospect, I think they were not that bad after all, just stressed me out for a week or so! Although I said I would never visit them again, their gesture makes me think again. Only this time, if there is no space in the hotel, I'll park my car elsewhere and save myself some trouble.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Very friendly staff, great breakfasts and restaurant. Good meeting and chat areas. Hotel room with coffee and tea making facilities, we found this unusual in many of the hotels we used.

We understand the hotel is made of two or three adjoining terrace houses, giving it added character.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple