“Run Down, Dirty and Overpriced”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Run Down, Dirty and Overpriced”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Having arrived at the hotel the reception area was acceptable. We were made to pay for the room on arrival, wish I had asked to see the room first, as I wouldn't have paid!
The whole place is extremely run down. I am not normally fussy but when I walked into our room and the bed was so sunk in the middle it was like a banana, you could feel the springs through the duvet! I would have not wanted to look under the sheets, let alone sleep in this hotel.
We returned to the reception to ask for a refund. We were offered nothing at first, then they thought they would be kinder and offer us half!
We ended up leaving and getting the Bath Waterside Travelodge for the same price Redcar wanted for the night. You couldn't even begin to compare the two hotels and I thought Travelodge's were basic!
Plus their fire alarm system wouldn't work if there was a fire, my husband fits them for a living and it was the first thing he noticed when we checked in!
DO NOT stay here!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Every bad review on this site is TRUE. Don't do it...

The place is shabby, grotty, dated & dirty. As a single woman I was given a room down 2 sets of stairs of filthy old carpet. It was the lower ground floor, really it was in the basement, but was way below street level at the front, but looked out to a car park at the rear.

Being so far down they had those automatic smelly things placed behind the fire extinguisher to combat the moldy damp smell.

To my surprise I found the window had no lock, and could be opened from the car park, as it had no fence?

The shower was only luke warm as the fitting had rusted into that position.

I have thrown out better mattresses than the one I slept on!

The blanket was soooo old & had several nasty stains, one was very large & could NOT have been missed by the cleaning staff. The quilt was OLD and torn.

I used the hand towel & bath mat as mats, as I did not want my feet on the carpet.
Furniture missing a draw.

The room was boiling hot on arrival, with no way to turn it down. (hence open the unlocked window)

When the man next door made noises (yep, those noises) I heard it all. When he spoke on his mobile, I heard every word! Walls are sooo thin.

The common rooms are dark & dated & old.
Staff only as friendly as they have to be.

So if you are thinking of saving a few dollars/pounds, don't! Pay a little extra for somewhere better, you won't be sorry.......

PS: Bath is wonderful town. Photo opportunities everywhere...

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in the Basement, which they call the ground floor. Smelly, below ground lev...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank katie134

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in this hotel the 19 of April. Was a bit concerned by some of the reviews that I had read about this hotel. However we stayed in room G1which had a four poster bed and although the hotel needs some TLC the room was clean, towels and bed linen where spotless. The man on reception was very nice and helpful would stay again

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

The receptionist was ok so I thought we would have a nice time in this beautiful town. The carpet is full of dust, the tap in the bathroom is moving, the shower is terrible to manage between hot and cold water...
The morning after I had a coffee, I was better not like milk inside cause It was expired for 2 weeks.
The mattress is a very bad quality, one of the window couldn't be opened.
Definitely not worth £70 a night

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Syrhacuse
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed in the Redcar for a night for a hen do, it was fairly cheap and only for a night but even so it was awful.

Upon reception our rooms weren't ready (which is fine) we left our bags behind the bar and were told they'd be taken up to one of the booked rooms.....7 hours later when we returned, they were still behind the bar, as they apparently didn't have time even though this hotel serves no food and the reception area was dead.

The rooms were boiling, the bed was really uncomfortable and noisy, the bathroom wasn't clean, the tv didn't work and no attempt was made to fix it, every floorboard creaked and you generally felt a bit dirty.

I will be returning to bath but I wont be staying here and wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SCotton17
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

one night stay which was awfull, creaking floor boards ,and bed too, ripped curtain. bed and cupboard on wooden blocks, dust everywhere, shower handle fell off, heating on all night, bed side table was unstable, placed a bottle on it and it slid straight off.carpets uneven on the stairs, where is the health and safety there, charged us an extra 10 pounds to park your car there too, great location very close to the centre of a beautiful city, very dissappointed with the standard of the red car hotel, please avoid its hazard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family