“Awful isn't the word!”

Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Warminster
“Awful isn't the word!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Avoid this hotel of horrors Just spent the night here and would have to say it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. It was supposed to be a nice rare night away with my husband and unsually with out our children. The first time in three years actually and it was ruined by this awful place. Staff very rude and aggressive. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CAR KEY! Or your room key. They insist on you paying for parking by cash,something very suspicious going on. God knows who owns it but the staff and their friends are running a muck in there. Drunk men hanging around in the reception and staying in the rooms, I assume for free.
If you complain the staff accuse you of being racist against Eastern Europeans and become very nasty. Considering one of my best friends is from Poland I found this a complete insult and very offensive.
Filthy rooms, dirty bed linen, health and safety issues an understatement!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amee P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Superb location in central Bath for a very reasonable price. My friend and I stayed one night after a shopping and spa trip to Bath and we found this hotel to be very convenient. The member of staff on reception was extremely polite and helpful. Our room was clean, bedding was clean and so was the bathroom. It was quiet and we both had a good night's sleep after a 5 min walk home from the main streets of Bath. The ' Opium Bar' in the next street along from the hotel is a fabulous cocktail bar and well worth a visit too! I would advise people not to be put off by some of the very negative reviews, it's not modern and fancy decor but if you want somewhere really central just as a base for going out and about in Bath as we did then the Redcar hotel is excellent value and perfectly fine, I would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank Sarah O
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel located near the center of Bath is reasonably priced. It is 'what it is'. True it does need refurbishment and although the bathroom was clean, it does need a make over. Apart from that, the beds and sheets were clean the reception staff helpful. The proximity to the center and the ease of parking are the main attraction for this hotel.

2 Thank alitalk
Great Wyrley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel was booked for me and my mate for a weekend away for my 40th ... Well it is shocking .. I am not a fussy person and will make the best out of anything however you really can't polish s*** ! We were put in a room that I felt was below sub-standard when asked to move they offered us a smaller room that was even worse and the other room was only better as the windows would open! The bathroom looked like it had been built as an 'optional extra'! The only two good things were that it was very close to the centre of bath and the staff were friendly enough ... However, although I will be returning to bath I will not ever stay at the Redcar hotel again ..

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
2 Thank Sarah D

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

KentUK
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This dreadful place has only one point in its favour : it is in the centre of Bath, just over the Pulteney Bridge, a short walk away from the heart of the city. Bath itself, of course is wonderful and it is a great shame that this hotel is representative of it. What can one say? The best advise is that if you drive yourself, check out where the Long Term car parks are and then walk or take a taxi to this hotel should you decide to book a room in it, their own car park is hopeless and risky (first come first serve). The room we took was a couple of chancy flights up (no lift), it had wires all over, one dim table lamp, rickety beds, the lavatory very questionable, a handle in the bath hanging loose and rusty, the shower didn't work. And the staff were surly and unhelpful. In fact it is amazing that in 2013 a hotel like this is in business.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TMMarsh
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Looking for a good value hotel in Bath (an expensive place) I opted for the Redcar over another hotel nearby because it offered en-suite accommodation and free parking. Reviews on the booking site seemed OK but I regretted it as soon as I approached the front door! The photo shown above appears to be very old as the sign is not just faded but falling apart! Prior to arrival I had tried to contact the hotel by phone/email 5 times to reserve parking & check catering with no success. On entering the foyer I was assailed by the smell of stale sweat - it smelled like a locker room although it could simply be that the male receptionist was unfamiliar with the concept of deodorant as although very pleasant in manner he was distinctly unkempt. I have a poor sense of smell but it was so bad that I was almost reluctant to leave the bedroom which was actually quite clean and hurried through the foyer on leaving to meet friends in the evening. I had booked a single but think I was upgraded to a small double which would have been great except that the en-suite was distinctly bijou (tiny sink that you couldn't even fill the kettle from); the bed blankets were scratchy; the wardrobe was ancient and on blocks; the yale door lock didn't work and had to be turned inside/locked with a key outside; the curtains were hanging off the rail and didn't meet properly; the sash window opened from the bottom and could not be secured as despite being potentially accessible from another part of the hotel it had no catch although a bolt was provided to hold it open at a perfect height for pigeon entry but not for human sleep! Carpets on the stairways were worn and rucked plus there was electric cabling wound through the decidedly dodgy banisters. On returning from my evening meal out I asked where breakfast would be served only to be told that no breakfast was available and a café on Pultney Bridge was recommended! The café WAS lovely...

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Diane R
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We read the reviews after booking the place and were horrified but also humoured. It was too late to cancel. We arrived with very low expectations. The lounge is quaint but the rooms are as bad as all the other reviewers have said. We stayed in 301 and 302. If we had not been prepared we would have been horrified. However the receptionists were both really nice guys and very very helpful and the sheets were clean. We turned up for one night with all our own bedding and fans! They were a little shocked at the amount of luggage we dragged up to top of the building.

If you don't mind slumming it for one night, the location is brilliant.

Room Tip: You need to be fit to stay on the upper floors. The fire doors are really heavy and there are many s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends