“Out dated & disapponting”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Preston
“Out dated & disapponting”
Reviewed July 2, 2008

The best part of the hotel is the location and the politeness of the staff. Having booked in January 2008, I assumed (incorrectly) that the rooms would be allocated on a "first come, first served" basis. Although my husband and I booked in before lunch for a one night stay, we were given a tiny double room on the 3rd floor. The room was small and cramped. On going to bed after a long day sight seeing, we found that neither the extractor fan nor the lights worked. We had to climb under a table to access the power point so that at least we had some light, albeit it from a very low wattage bulb. We had to climb into the bed from the bottom as there was no access from either side. There is nowhere in the hotel information that stated that the restaurant only has a Chinese menu. The breakfast was cold, with cheap quality coffee, overcooked eggs and tinned fruit. No sign of any fresh anywhere. The hotel is shabby and is in need of a complete overhaul, from it's bedding and room decor down to threadbare carpets, particularly on the stairs. This hotel could be an asset to Bath but fails miserably. I would not recommend any-one to use it.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Burgess Hill
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I really don't know where to begin. When we arrived we used the toilets off of the lounge. They were blocked and dirty - perhaps we should have been warned by this. The rooms were dirty, bedspreads and carpets stained, paintwork filthy and toilets didn't look as though they had ever seen a bottle of bleach. Our bed was OK but our friends' four poster bed was lumpy and very uneven and they could not sleep at all. When we went down for breakfast the room looked very pleasant and we were hopeful. There was a buffet style breakfast. When I put some bacon on my plate I realised it was stone cold and we noticed the hotplates were turned off. When we mentioned it to a member of staff they fiddled around and eventually plugged it in underneath the table (it obviously hadn't been turned on at all that morning!). We were then told that it would soon heat up the food. We explained in strong terms that it was really dangerous to reheat food. He then went off and came back with some hot sausages and proceeded to put them on top of the cold ones (it seems the staff do not know the basic health and safety rules to do with food). One of our friends went out to reception to complain about this. The manager came to see us. We said we wanted a refund for our breakfast. She said she couldn't do this and they were now cooking fresh food. We didn't want to chance eating this. She said she would see us outside. When we went out she said they were one of the cheapest hotels in Bath. I can understand that it might be a bit run down but dirty rooms and unsafe breakfasts - I don't think there is any excuse. Eventually she gave us back £20 per couple. We are not normally the type of people to complain about things and we did make the best of it but I would never ever ever recommend this hotel to anyone and would not dream of going back there.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Breakfast and cleanliness of rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

West Sussex
Reviewed May 5, 2008

FILTHY DIRTY HELL HOLE -

Our party had 2 rooms both of which were filthy and unclean, the toilets were both badly stained and are in dsperate need of some bleach!.
The decor is awful and in desperate need of complete redecoration. None of the furniture matched and were all badly scratched, basically looked about 50 years old and picked up at the local rubbish tip!
The bed covers and linen were also stained and not clean.
Our bed was almost falling to bits (room 104 - four poster) and the matress was so bad we both had trouble sleeping and work up with stiff backs!!!

To top it all was the wonderful unedible potentially salmonela riddled breakfast :-
We noticed that the food warmers that all the breakfast was kept in was stone cold and so was all the Bacon, Sausages and eggs etc..!!! A waiter promplty turned it on then chucked some hot sausaged on top of the cold ones!!
We pointed out that you cannot re-heat food and mix hot meat with cold meats but they just continued to allow people to serve themselves this cold food that they were re-heating.

We along with another guest complained to the manager who said that they will cook more food for us, we declined and persued a refund to which we were given £20 per couple in a brown envelope.

We strongly complained to the Manager about the state of the hotel, the state of our room and the health hazardous food to which she replied "Well this the cheapest hotel in Bath" - SORRY BUT CLEANLINESS AND BOTTLES OF BLEACH IS CHEAP!!!!!!!!

This hotel really is the pits - Please do not stay here EVER, we only did because they were one of the only hotels that allowed us a single night stay during the bank holiday, now we know why.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Vermont
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We were looking for a place to stay [without car] in central Bath, and this fit the bill. Our room was clean, a solid four-poster with a very comfortable mattress. We were quite warm, though it was clear that the wind could come through one of the windows between the sashes if it tried. Our daughter's room was quite small and in a colder part of the hotel, over the dining room. The bath was older, but adequate.
The only thing to complain about was the breakfast, which did not serve perked coffee, and much of the hot food was unappatizing. Also, the staff seemed to be short in the evening, with three women expected to run the kitchen, bar and front desk, all with a rather large wedding party staying there. They did not seem prepared for this.
Still, an ok experience though not great.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank VermontProfessor
Colchester
Reviewed March 23, 2008

I have just returned from a two-night Easter stay with my wife and son in a Triple Room at the Redcar. Having seen some of the other Trip Advisor reviews I was a bit apprehensive to say the least, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The staff, especially the oriental lady who may be the manageress, were wonderfully cheerful, helpful and friendly and such a contrast to the corporate dummies with plastic smiles at some of the chain hotels, or the "bad smell under the nose" approach of staff at some expensive hotels (like Bath's Royal Crescent, so I understand).

The location is fantastic -- the Georgian Henrietta Street is beautiful and leads onto spectacular Great Pulteney Street and is five minutes from the Roman Baths and Abbey. You also have Henrietta Park at the back of the hotel and Sydney Gardens five minutes away, so plenty of places to go for a quiet stroll.

Breakfast was OK, basic and filling (buffet) -- the bacon was lovely, the sausages less so. But again, for the price and location, you couldnt fault it.

To sum up, make no mistake, this is NOT a luxury hotel, you may not be able to watch 50 satellite channels or surf the internet, but if you are in Bath to actually SEE BATH while not paying through the nose, this is a good place to try.

• Liked — Location, price, staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Athene27Colchester
Kent
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Having researched hotels for Bath this came up as quite reasonabley priced for a 3 star but now I know why. It is in a great location. However, the decor was very dated;the lighting in the room was limited and very dark; cold at night; the four poster bed was very fragile; and on leaving the hotel when I checked we had not left anything under the bed I found an insect detector box!!!!! Breakfast was ok. Bar expensive particularly for the level of service. We had asked the receptionist if she could book a table at a local restaurant for us to be told we don't usually do that but I will give you the telephone number (she was not even busy).
If you expect basic you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Insect detector under bed; uncomfortable bed; unhelpful staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I used this hotel for a business trip for work in Bristol, as the Cheltenham Races had made Bristol full - what a shame!.

There is no parking allocated to the hotel, therefore you have to rely on a space being available on-street, which you have to pay for.

The hotel decoration is 'weird' - its like they have tried to update it, and got an interior designer in, but have either run out of money or forgot to finish it off! - the dining room is a mish mash of contemporary wall decoration which is nice and crappy 1960's chairs and carpets. The hotel foyer is also a bit strange with almost an oriental theme to it, twinned with a traditional Bath Georgian house????

The room rate was £73 per night, which was definetley not worth it! - compared to other hotels I have stayed in, if I were paying for it myself (company paying) I would have only been prepared to pay £45 per night.

The rooms are a bit tired, old curtains, old bathroom with tempermental temperatures on the hot water. The beds are rubbish mattresses and crap pillows. The furniture is tired, and the TV only had 5 channels, in this day n age you would expect Satelitte TV at least the freeview channels.

When I went to my room and realised how crap it was and noticed a few problems with the rooms, I asked if they had another double room, they did show me to another room, but this was even worse! - wood pannelled bathroom that had a foul stench to it, so asked to go back to the other room!

I hope that someone from the hotel reads this, and either carrys on finishing the update of the decor or reduces the prices!!

I only ate breakfast in the hotel, which was nothing to rave about, the sausages were deep fried, the bacon not particulary appetising, and if you were having a hot breakfast, you ate of cold plates!! - not what you expect for £75 a night!!!!

Also to the girl from reception who - when asked about the windows rattling (it was a windy night and the windows were sash windows) and the bathroom that had a funny noise in it - I would advise that its not really nice to tell a lone female traveller that " well we do have a few problems with this room and apparently the hotel is haunted".......Thanks - slept well that night!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)