“Cancellation money taken beware”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
uk
“Cancellation money taken beware”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We made a booking to stay at this hotel, we had to cancel the same day. I rang the hotel and have the records to prove it. The receptionist said it was fine and that we had cancelled, but we our now in dispute because they want to charge us a cancellation fee,they say because we did not contact bookings .com. They did not suggest that in our phone conversation. Be very careful with these people. Their attitude is awful.

I agree with all the other reviewers steer clear.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Humphrey P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Not worth the £50 paid. The bed, although a glamourous four poster, has the worst mattress I have ever slept on. Judging from the other reviews, room 104 is not the only room in need of a new mattress. The staff are friendly but clueless and unable to help. They blame management who are unwilling to upgrade. Steer clear of this place.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

two night stay for my wifes 40th birthday, booked here for a four poster bed as i thought it would be cute, romantic etc. well we arrived a little early and the rather smelly man on the reception's words were, what are you doing here!! no hello how can i help etc. on return we found the room next door to ladies toilet almost in the bar, could hear everything coming from within. room g1. enquired about breakfast times only to be told no breakfast although website states we do breakfast. room was at least clean, shower was over bath type but the shower head was loose and you had to hold it with one hand. parking was an extra £20 per stay. mattress was lumpy. ok not the end of the world but! all in all i would not use again. i would however return to bath as it was a lovely place to visit.

Room Tip: try to avoid room G1
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taffyboy66
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just returned from a hen weekend. After reading the reviews I was dreading the stay, and to be honest the rooms were pretty dismal. However, the sheets were clean, I've seen worse bathrooms and the room was warm. Some of the girls on the top floor didn't have any water pressure so couldn't take a shower, but we all mucked in to make the best of it and shared the showers that did work! A troupe of females wrapped in towels, going in and out of different rooms, was actually very funny. But what actually made the stay bearable was the staff. After a mistake by the booking company (i.e not reserving enough rooms or even passing on payment), they made up extra beds for us very quickly. On both Saturday and Sunday morning they gave us a private area in the lounge for breakfast, which was a constant and ample supply of toast, cereal, tea, coffee, juice, cheese and ham which were eaten in the comfort of our pj's. They then allowed us a late check out and gave us a secure area to store luggage when we went off for the day. The staff are well aware of the 'limitations' of the hotel and we all agreed that they were the reason our stay was actually quite a happy one. I wouldn't choose to go there again, but credit should be given where it's due.

Room Tip: Lower floors are more likely to have hot water.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booking in was a shambles as we'd booked with Release travel - don't use them they hadn't paid the hotel so we had no rooms. Had to pay again and am still trying to get that money back from Release (haven't been able to contact them all weekend). Anyway, the hotel did everything they could to make things better for us. It is like Fawlty towers with no hot water in some rooms - no pressure on the top floor so no water at all (ask for a first floor room) and the hotel looks like something from the 70's. you'd probably wonder why I've rated it so highly but the people were fab. They set us up our own little breakfast room each morning for the hen party and kept the food coming (toast, cheese, ham, cereal, yoghurt) until we couldn't move. They were really helpful and friendly generally and we eventually just ended up laughing about the state of the hotel itself. Definitely not luxury but lovely people

Room Tip: Get a room on the lower floors to ensure hot water
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I complained to booking.com that they were false advertising by showing they even have a dining room. Beds were awful window wouldn't open as storage heater would not adjust. Fire alarm was covered. They say it was good value for bath. Sleeping on the street would have been nicer. And no breakfast :(

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank kimloo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was booked into the Redcar Hotel by a company I was working for. After reading the reviews on here, I immediately started researching alternatives - and was planning on booking myself into the Travelodge at my own expense for £60. The deciding factor was if there was Hot Water for a shower...

We arrived, and the exterior and lounge looked quite nice - but then, we got to the rooms... The first thing I did was check the shower. Hallelujah! Hot Water! My bank account was happy! Then I took a little look around, which didn't take long as the room was absolutely tiny.

The carpet was so badly fitted that the nails from the wooden tack strip were clearly visible - obviously Health & Safety hadn't been round. There was a huge delve in the middle of the floor which was impossible to avoid given the miniscule size of the room; was constantly worried about ending up in the bedroom downstairs when walking over it. The bathroom was so small that I couldn't sit on the toilet witout the door open - just a good job I wasn't sharing! And the sink was so full of grime and limescale that I outright refused to wash, shave or brush my teeth in it the following morning...

Speaking of the following morning, I awoke at 6am with quite extensive pain in my lower back from the broken springs in the bed, eagerly anticipating my morning shower... As if by some form of anti-Magic, the hot water for the shower had disappeared!!! You can imagine my fury...

The Red Car Hotel is an insult to the word 'Hotel.' I've travelled all around the world, and can say with confidence that this is THE worst place i've ever stayed in.

Please, Please, PLEASE!! Avoid this place like the plague! Book the Waterside Travelodge if you're on a small budget! At least you know what you'll be getting. Luckily, they didn't serve breakfast at the time we had to leave... I dread to think what the state of the private kitchens are in if the public rooms are in such a dismal state...

The Red Car Hotel needs to be shut down.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business