“I would rather sleep in the car park”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here last year and thought I'd add my views to warn off the unprepared. I used to live around the corner so know many of the hotels but just wanted something cheap and central. I had a single room which I booked through a late rooms website. What a mistake! This has got to be the dirtiest and most uncomfortable room that I have ever experienced. I put my shoes on to walk on the carpet so that my feet didn't touch it. I would recommend the Kennard opposite which is expensive but without doubt the best hotel experience in Bath.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here with 14 mates in June 2012 and can only agree with all the negative comments I have read so far...

The hotel smelt, the carpets were sticky an filthy, staff were rude, breakfast was rubbish and rooms were dirty and cramped..!!

We booked and paid for 7 twin rooms although on arrival we were all squeezed into 5 small rooms. This was bought up at reception, staff didn't care! Two of out party didn't even have proper beds, they slept on fold out camping style beds...!!

As you can guess 14 hungover blokes were looking forward to a nice cooked breakfast on the first morning, afterall this is what we had been promised and paid for. Much to everyones annoyance when they arrived at breakfast only to be offered tesco value cereal, toast, warm cheese and processed ham..!! Again the hotel weren't bothered about this either..!!

I have been trying to speak to the manger about this since June 2012 as we should be entitled to a refund for the 2 rooms that we paid for but never recieved. But like others have mentioned he never replies and reception staff are of little help. I am still awaiting a reply from him and we are now into 2013, I'm not holding my breath..!!

Please please please do not stay here, the place is a dive..!! It will ruin your stay in bath, issues at the hotel with he service we recieved, breakfast and state of the rooms ruined what should've been a good weekend away with friends..!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was a new years eve stay and there were three of us whom stayed in a family room. This was the cheapest hotel in a good location. The rooms were clean but when I went to use the shower there was no hot water and even none coming out of the taps. Aside from the hot water it served our use which was as a hotel to come back late to.

1  Thank Sapphire2829
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here in Oct 2012, and I am still waiting to be refunded for a night I didn't have. The so called manager told me he did not have the power to refund my card, but Head Office would sort it. After several visits to this 'dump' to confront the manager, he refused to give me a contact number for his office, on one occasion telling that there was no Head Office and that he didnt care that I had not been refunded.
The bed was awful, I was lying literally on bare springs, Worst place ever!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

When you arrive your greeted by being read the rule book and then asked to pay for the car park and room upfront.Then we were told that they don't serve breakfast on a sunday.Our room was dreadful , broken bed ,broken floor tiles , broken tv and outside floodlights that mean that sleep is impossible. If it was free I wouldn't stay here again

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Please don't book this hotel. Whoever you are, you don't deserve the Redcar Hotel. Everything that has been written about the hotel being run down and the staff being rude and unhelpful is true. This hotel, and the staff, is entirely capable of spoiling your stay in Bath, and Bath is a lovely place.

I made the mistake of booking the hotel for a group of 6 people. We were in Bath for a weekend of walking in the Cotswolds and I didn't think we'd spend much time at the hotel so didn't think the state of the hotel would matter.

I was very very wrong. When we overstayed the check-out time the incredibly rude staff tried to force their way into our room (this was less than 15 minutes after check-out time, by which time we'd already had 2 phone calls from the front desk). My girlfriend was getting dressed at the time, but according to the staff she had no right to privacy because it was her fault for "being naked in a public place" - ie inside our hotel room. I had to lean against the door to stop them from getting in. The manager came back with a burly man from housekeeping who was presumably there to intimidate us into making a speedier exit. When I pointed out that we were in the process of packing and that it would actually speed things up if they left us alone we were told to "leave the room without stealing anything"!

The rude and offensive manager first told us that we would be charged £10 for the overstay, 5 minutes later this became £20 "because he had had to walk up the stairs to tell us". By the time we made it downstairs with our bags (in total about 30 minutes past the check-out time), the manager told us that he was going to charge my card (again) for the full amount of the original booking (ie 3 rooms for 2 nights)! I ended up canceling the card that I had used to pay for the booking because I didn't trust the hotel with my card details.

Other highlights of the check-out process included the manager implying to my girlfriend that she was a prostitute that I had found the night before, being called a racist (the manager and some of the staff is Polish and he tried to make out that we were xenophobes), being told that if we didn't leave quickly enough they would call the police (I told him we'd gladly wait to hear what the police would have to say, but he never called them in the end), and being told that we were "special needs". I'm not sure, but I assume that he knew what the term meant and that he didn't use the term by accident (his English was good but not perfect), because he said it in the context of us not having understood the conditions of booking a room at Redcar Hotel, it felt very much at the time as though he was in fact implying that we were mentally disabled, and the Polish man from housekeeping knew what the term meant (he said so when I asked him).

The whole incident looks bizarre when I see it written on the page right now but this was a horrible morning and that's what happened. We ended up leaving out bags in Henrietta House next door because we didn't trust Redcar hotel with our stuff after the argument with them at check-out.

Bottom line: don't ever stay at this hotel. It is very run down and apparently staffed by sociopaths.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Martin B
Reviewed December 16, 2012

At time of stay this hotel was rated #30 out of 30 hotels in Bath on Tripadvisor. To no surprise: the rooms were awful, hardly any water coming out of the shower and the worst was the incredibly unfriendly staff. Do not stay at this place.