“Central location, and no bed bugs but that's where the good points end”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed September 16, 2012

To call this an hotel is stretching the description, the room was tatty and the bed, well i could feel every spring in the matress. This could be a lovely hotel, but i suspect that the Redcar has suffered from many years of lack of investment. Also the walls are paper thin we could hear every word spoken in the next door room. I would avoid the Redcar if at all possible.

Room Tip: Don't choose tge Redcar
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joeok

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Am I contractor and stayed in well over 400 hundred hotels!61 since January.and this has 2 be the worst!staff are arrogant and snobby.shower was useless and the interior was a disgrace.parking is ok if u get ther b4 6am!!!!!!!!! Wen I arrived I asked I simple question have u got flat screens or wifi?i got the reply do we look like a hotel with that!!!!!!never stay here!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Billyroach85
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The website and charges would make you believe you are booking into a classy hotel. I made a big mistake by not look at trip advisor first. £300 for three rooms, no breakfast as the restaurant has been closed for a few years. The 1 member of staff wasn't helpful at all, I practically had to pour my own drinks. The rooms were awful and the beds torn and tatty. It was clean though I have to say. Had to pay £20 for the car park which is stupidly small and I had to leave my keys at reception just in case they needed to move it, needless to say I didn't leave the keys! Great location has great potential, charged top rates but delivered a sub standard service and room. You have been warned, stay away this hotel is cr*p.......

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WayneHansford
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I made a great error in booking this place on booking.com before reading a review, however the pictures looked ok on the site.

What a mistake, I have stayed in some bad places but this took the biscuit, the car park was so small it took me many tries to get into the space, but that was the least of my problems. When I went in the smell hit you, and it got worse the further in you went. It was dirty, unkept, and I thought I cannot stay here.

The room was also dirty, the wall paper was peeling off, and the bed linen was dirty.

My partner and I just turned round snd I then drove the 300 miles home.

How anyone can say this hotel is good must live on another planet. I shall be contacting booking. Com, this needs to come off the site.

What a waste of £80

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Bluepennent
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have to admit that I was dreading my visit to this hotel. After reading the reviews I was expecting the worst. I had a pleasant surprise. The staff were amazing, very friendly and more than willing to help with any of our requests.

The rooms were a bit shabby and in need of updating but everything was clean and all the services you would expect were provided.

Would say great value for money and the best location you could ask for. A two minute walk from the centre but far enough away too not have passing noise

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 4 years ago,was ok,but 4 years on!
I read reviews on here,and just think people are fussy,but now i wished i had taken note.yes its a cheap hotel,but its so run down,springs coming through mattresses,smelly,The staff are so rude,one guy called Peter behind reception,asked us to move our car from its space it had been in the previous night(£10 per nite),i had a look and thought why should i move it into such a tight space,where u struggle to open the doors once parked.with that he hung out one of the top windows at rear of hotel,and shouted he would move it,to which i replyied No,then remonstrated that his and his friends cars were better than mine!He then again verbally abused us at the front,which really upset my wife,as he was so aggressive.I called Booking.com to try and move to another Hotel,as we felt quite unsafe as he was speaking in a foreign language with others and gesturing at us.I have never experienced such bad customer service as this,it totally ruined our anniversay weekend in Bath.
Will pay the extra in future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We travelled to Bath for a wedding and booked 5 rooms were booked for us at the Redcar Hotel, unfortunately the person who booked them didn't check the reviews and relied upon the hotels own description. We arrived at 13:15 to be told our rooms wouldn't be ready till 14:00, when I enquired if even one of rooms was available to put our cases in I was told no as they only had one housekeeper on duty and she still needed to clean the rooms! Returning at 14:00 all five rooms were ready - amazing! The hotel exterior looked a little faded but it is part of a beautiful Georgian Terrace. The hotel lobby was small, dark and dingy with a smell of body odour courtesy of the receptionist. There is no lift so we walked to the second and third floors up some very uneven stairs. The floors on each landing were all uneven and squeaked - charming you may think - no dangerous, as the carpets were ill fitting and loose. The rooms were small but for £70 I expected that what I didn't expect was the dark purple paintwork in every room - very oppressive. The shower in our room was adequate, but the one in my daughters room didn't work at all and my sons was a pitiful trickle. The bathroom floors were tiled - the tiles were grubby and in three of the rooms they were cracked. The bedding was clean but all the paintwork was dirty - lots of finger marks. The TV's in the rooms were small but this was ok - the picture wasn't clear. Our room was on the back overlooking the carpark, the rooms on the front do have a nice outlook. The carpark is tiny and it is impossible to get out without help from the staff. Our daughters room was above the bar and the noise made it impossible for her to sleep untill the early hours. My father had a single room which was tiny no room between the bed and the wardrobe - you couldn't have swung a flea let alone a cat. We didn't have breakfast - we couldn't have eaten with the smell - this time a different receptionist but the same personal hygiene issue!. The one good thing about the hotel is the location - very central, but personally if the Redcar Hotel was the only one available - I'd stay at home!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family