“Much better than expected :)”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hi all,
Right i like most people read reviews for this hotel when my friend had booked it for a group of us going on a girly weekend away, i have to say i was really worried from the reviews i read. I was really pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We walked for about 10 minutes from the train station and 2 of went intot he hotel to check us in and check the rooms before we handed any money over to the staff. The rooms were clean, they were big and ok some of the decor needs updating but the pictures on the web are not what we saw. Yes there is no elevator but that didnt bother us and 2 of our rooms were on the top floor. We had a great time in and out the hotel, the staff wer elovely and very helpful. The price is very cheap for the location and i would recommend this hotel to anyone who was wanting to have a weekend away in bath.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 2, 2012

It's true - you can be in Bath centre on foot within 5 minutes. Get there early enough, you can even park your car for only £10 a night. Very pleasant and helpful reception staff and the room seemed clean enough, if you didn't focus too much on the carpet. And it's cheaper than anywhere else in the centre. So what's the problem? The bed in our room (109) was so-o-o lumpy, with hard metal parts predominating, that I couldn't sleep. I only weigh 135lbs and I was sleeping with a girlfriend as the requested twin room hadn't materialised. She's even smaller than me, whuch is just as well as it was inly a 4ft 6in bed! Believe me, I was trying to be as quiet as a mouse. Unlike the ladies that turned up noisily in the small hours and then proceeded to talk for the next 40 minutes. I couldn't hear what they said, just the constant growl of voices. To add insult to injury, there was no towel rail in the bathroom and no hooks so trying to put shower and hand towels for 2 people anywhere was a pain. This hotel is not fit for purpose no matter how cheap it may be. After all we did spend £175 for 2 rooms and parking for 3 people for 1 night so it wasn't even that cheap, merely cheaper than the other over-priced establishments in lovely Bath.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Babsanne
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Considering the fact that this hotel is only a three minitues walk away from the centre of Bath and that is has a parking for its guest, you can't stay anywhere in Bath at this low price. Reading the other reviews, I must say that my room and my parent's, was really nice and tidy. The beds were comfortable as well and the bathroom was clean. The staff was also very friendly and helpfull, even carying my heavy suitcase for me to my room! One donwside: no breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Petra V
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I so wish I had read the reviews before booking this for my daughter and her boyfriend! I will NEVER rely on a hotel website again! I appreciate the Redcar is considered a budget hotel and yes the location is great but what a dive! The wallpaper was hanging off in the bathroom, there was unidentified liquid running down the wall in the bedroom and a hair in the bed!!!! Add to that a window that didn't close (they were on the ground floor) and grubby decor that hadn't been updated since the 70s, staff that were surprised when I complained and a mattress that that been covered with a duvet to try to make it more comfortable (it didn't work!!) and you might get a better picture. I appreciate that £85 a night is a good price for the location but no breakfast and squalor didn't compensate for the price. NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Great location. Car park to the rear which is handy in unparkable Bath!! Rooms were clean and quiet. We booked a 4 poster room which was lovely. The kind of room which you didn't want to leave when the morning sunshine is drenching your sheets in warm light! One member of staff I swear was there for 2 days and night straight and looked haggered by the end of it but was always friendly and polite.

Room Tip: Push the boat out and upgrade to a 4 poster. Treat yourself :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrsKinver-Wrigley
Reviewed July 2, 2012

What a nightmare! I read the other reviews on Trip advisor while I was in bed at this hotel, around 4 in the morning, after a seagull on steroids , decided to scream outside my broken window for 20 mins.
It is extremely shabby, stained, and worn out . The carpets and fixtures and fittings look like charity shop rejects that are currently on offer at your local municipal dump!
Dreadful odors permeating from the drains and a stench of mold and musk.
The TV was the size of a matchbox and it didn't work! Perhaps it's just for show when the Hotel Inspectors are in town??
I honestly don't know how they stay in business! It's a bloody mystery and it should be a crime. Another author said you'd be better off sleeping in your car. I'd go one further, you'd be better off sleeping standing up against a shop window along the high street! It is that grim! The stag and hen's that say its not that bad must have been too hung over to notice the appalling condition. Whoever the owners are, SHAME on you! What a dreadful excuse for a hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Morrisdancer5
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just returned from a weekend in Bath staying at the Redcar. I booked this hotel because of the location and that it has a car park (although very small and there is a charge).It was also happy to take a booking just for one night. Many hotels will only take reservations for two nights minimum at weekends which apart from the added expense, didn't suit us as we couldn't travel till Saturday morning.
The hotel really needs a makeover but it was clean and had everything you need. Location is perfect with everything within easy walking distance. Once you've parked your car there is no need to use it again for the rest of your stay.The staff were friendly and the continental breakfast was fine. The room was small, but this is because they have built in en-suites which i would rather have than having to share bathrooms. If they did spend money on doing it up, it would obviously cost more to stay here. Considering that most hotels and B&B's in central Bath are a lot more money, including a well known chain of motels that boast rooms from £29 but charge £119 for Bath, the Redcar is good value for money.

Room Tip: No lift in this hotel so if you have mobility problems make sure you contact the hotel to request ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple