“Cream Tea!!!!”

Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
plymouth
“Cream Tea!!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Being from Devon I love a cream tea, so when my hubby and i went to bath for the weekend we popped in to Patisserie Valerie for a cream tea and were not disappointed , we enjoyed it so much we went back again for another :) well worth a visit, very friendly.

• Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
“Nice place to come for a coffee and a cake”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a small cafe but it provides great coffee and some out of this world cakes. Perfect place to visit if killing time waiting for a bus or resting weary feet from shopping

Mallorca
“Didn't realize it was a nasty chain restaurant. Disgusting breakfast.”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The cakes look great in the window. The decor looks authentic. The sign over the door says, "Established 1926", so I assumed they had been in Bath that long. Silly me.

We went in for breakfast. I ordered the full English. My friend's simple order of toast and butter was fine. My dish, on the other hand, was appalling. The scrambled eggs had been cooked so long and at such high heat that they had the consistency of rubber pellets. The sausages were of the lowest quality, and the mushrooms were overcooked. I am guessing that the food had been first, over cooked, then frozen, then microwaved, then served to me.

The woman at the next table ordered a croissant. She took one bite, and then asked the waitress to take it off the bill, because it was inedible. The waitress did take it off without a problem. Her casual attitude suggested that this was a common occurrence.

2 Thank SojournerMallorca
Weston Super Mare, United Kingdom
“Very poor 'knock off' of the origional!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

When a hugely successful and popular business such as Patisserie Valerie decides to expand into the chain/franchise arena, it takes its well earned reputation by the by the proverbials! Alas such is the case with (most of) the cafés and restaurants in this particular chain and Bath is one of the poorer ones. Way below the excellent Old Compton Street, London original.

I thought I'd give this particular branch a try only because the small independent café just up the lane was full (and it was freezing cold and I needed a hot drink). It was around 11 a.m. midweek and dispute there being three waiting staff plus a manager to serve six customers, the service was dreadfully slow.

My coffee was OK (hot at least) and I ordered eggs Benedict but really wish I hadn't! The bacon wasn't crispy, it was just warm and frightfully overcooked, the eggs were as solid as if they had been hard boiled (they had in fact been over poached in those small poaching tins mum used in the 1970s) - how come a restaurant can't make a poached egg? Worst of all was the yellow gloop purporting to be hollandaise sauce.

All this for £12 which, if I'd only been able to go up the lane, would have cost me half!

While I admit that the cakes and pastries all look really scrummy, there is a nagging feeling I can't help having that their total uniformity suggests something that is mass produced and while not on the scale of Mr Kipling's empire, nor do they live up to his reputation.

To any tourists to the wonderful city of Bath I would thoroughly recommend that you try one of the many small independent businesses and leave the chains alone. There are so many of them and like as not they are run by very friendly locals. Sorry Patisserie Valerie but I'm going to leave you alone until I'm next in Soho...

4 Thank Paul W
Naestved, Denmark
“A little piece of Paris in Bath”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is very popular and you may have to queue at certain times but it is worth the wait, nice atmosphere, take away for bread and cakes, croissants, patisserie etc. The serve simple sandwiches, croque and great coffee. The staff are quick and friendly, great place to take a breather from shopping or sightseeing.