“Used to like it a lot...but...”
Review of Bombay King - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have been to this place many times. I liked it so much that i used to take Indian visitors to this place as a representative of good Indian style food cooked by competent Bangladeshi restaurants. The lamb dishes used to be very good. The lamb bukhara was succulent and lightly spiced. It was a dish that was cooked to the same perfection every time i ordered it. I remarked on how all their dishes were not covered in oil and he said something which i liked...'sir we are not a restaurant from the 80s'

The decor is neat and pleasant. The waiters are young, smartly dressed and polite. Quite efficient too. The waiters dont change every week as in other places, so there is a bit of continuity and they recognise regulars. Car park is huge.

Then one day it went downhill. I did not recognise the Lamb Bukkhara. It was totally different to what i was used to and loved. The rest of the dishes seemed different too. Far too oily for my taste. Literally you could spoon out ladles of oil from the top of every dish. Yes you guessed it. They got a new chef in, who was stuck in the 80s.

So i stopped going there for the past few months. Hope they get back to what they were good at.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We have been to the Bombay KIng on many occasions. I would first off say that the food is always lovely with the super touch of an orange slice once you have finished eating. Try the fish curries, wonderful.

Unfortunately, sometime the service and surroundings can be not so good. On several occasions I have found myself putting my coat back on as it was chilly. Tonight they forgot our main curry (we share one main and have side dishes) but were very apologetic and quick in rectifying the problem. This still left us waiting with our side dishes cooling on the table. Also the beer is all bottled though the house white is quite acceptable.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Although a bit off the beaten track, this place is very popular. We have eaten here several times & always had a good meal. Prices are low & quality of food is high. Staff are very friendly & nothing is too much trouble. They were giving a free bottle of house wine if you presented them with their own menu(from a previous visit), but not sure if this offer is still on. Give it a try - you won't be disppointed.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Gorgeous food and great service! We had an unexpected brilliant evening here, as we just happened to stumble across this restaurant which seemed in a remote place. Lovely people and well yummy food! As we sat, we realised that it was filling up very quickly, so we weren't the only ones to discover it! Best Indian food we've had in ages!

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Called into the Bombay King on the way back to Bath. I ate here about 2 years ago. On that occasion the food was ok and was fairly typical, standard fayre. I expected more of the same. I have to say that we were more than pleasantly surprised.

We didn't have starters or pappadoms, to be honest I don't understand why people have a first course when eating Indian food; I would rather spend the money on extra dishes to accompany the meal. Anyway enough of my rant ;-))

I chose a Nepali lamb curry called 'Nepali Root' which was beautifully spiced predominantly with root ginger, absolutely delicious. My partner chose Chicken Passanda which is a mild creamy coconut and almond curry, similar to a Korma. The curry was mild but it wasn't bland, as is often the case. The portions of rice were large which was another pleasant surprise, as more often than not the portion of rice dished up in other curry houses is ridiculously small. Our Pershwari Naan was hot, yummy and packed with coconut as opposed to the usual token sprinkling. The Tarka Dahl was very tasty and was a nice consistancy, compared to some of the wishy washy ones I've been served elsewhere in the past. We also had a Saag Aloo and a Brinjal Bargi (Aubergine) which were lovely.

We spoke briefly with the owner as we were leaving and he informed us that he had taken on a new Chef who had previously worked at 'Chutney Marys' on the Kings Road. If you ever get the oppurtunity Chutney Marys is a restaurant that you really must visit, it will truly open your eyes to the vast array of flavours and spices offered by India.

Anyway, the meal was wonderful. The cost was about £36.00 which included a glass of wine and a soda water. The service was attentive and polite. The restaurant itself was a Public House in a previous life. My only gripe would be the decor. Everything is basically white, well, the walls are. I think that a few nice pictures/paintings would help to give the place a more homely feel.