“shocking”

Parade Park Town House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #153 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We went for a weekend break to Bath without our kids, and wanted a comfy room from which to explore the city, I had tried to book more swanky places but (I guess due to Christmas shoppers) most places were full. The Parade Park looked promising though,the website showed contemporary rooms that looked fairly basic, but clean, crisp, and comfortable, well lit and attractively furnished. On booking I was offered a choice of a small double or a four poster room, not liking the sound of a small room I plumped for the four poster .
Imagine our disappointment when we got to our (pre paid) room to find it resembled student digs or at best an old people's home. It was a back room overlooking some air conditioning units of adjacent hotels. It was dark and dingy with one badly fitted lampshade barely concealing the (at best) 40W bulb. The bed side lights were not the modern table lamps as seen on the website, but pub style tassled wall lights with such dim bulbs you could barely read a book. The bedside tables and chest of drawers were missing half their knobs. The four poster bed did have four posts, but was as naff as can be imagined. An Argos (I'm being charitable) frame stained an attractive shade of marroon and finished with cheap flimsy ready made drapes velcroed to the frame, If I had had a saw with me I'd have done any future occupants a favour and hacked the posts off. The bathroom was similar to the one I had to use in hospital when giving birth, but a bit less cosy the main difference being that in hospital there was a constant supply of hot water, unfortunately we left on Sunday morning without showering as there was not a drop of hot water to be had at ten to eight. The confusingly named 'continental' breakfast consisted of white sliced 'plastic' bread you could queue up and toast yourself with a portion of butter and marmalade with individually wrapped weetabix all washed down with a cup of Tetley or value orange juice, my 9 year old could have put together a breakfast with more finesse.
Oh it was just awful, probably fine if you have very low expectations or are a rugby supporter and need somewhere to rest your head after a skinful in the bar downstairs, but if you are a couple steer clear, I can honestly say we'd rather have stayed at home. No one was available to complain to when we left, but have written since arriving home, but unfortunately no one could be bothered to reply, which just about sums it up!

Reviewed November 22, 2009

I would certainly have to agree with the majority of these reviews; 'Terrible, Tatty, Disapointing & Noisy.

My partner and I booked a weekend away in Bath as a Birthday treat, however we were so appauled we choose to return home on the Saturday as opposed to the Sunday. The location is fantastic, however the noise from revellers outside was a BIG problem and so was the most uncomfortable bed in the world - both resulting in a sleepless night. The bed was so uncomfortable we chose to sleep on top of the duvet, but could still feel every spring! The room was dirty, mouldy and smelly and needed completely refurbishing. The bathroom was so small you could just about turn around and the shower curtain and skirting was mouldy - absolutely disgusting.

The staff themselves were reasonably friendly although didnt bother to show us to our room let alone offer to help with the bags. All in all I would advise anyone to choose somewhere else to stay!!

2  Thank RivieraCentre
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Booked as central location in gorgeous city, and ideal setting for an anniversary trip. Let down by the noise all through the night as people from the club next door smoke outside the front door to the hotel. Couldn't hear the music at all so that isn't an issue. The police arresting disorderly clubbers was though. Arguments galore ending after 3am. Not ideal for a romantic evening.

Bath is beautiful but I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

Reviewed November 2, 2009

Having stayed at the hotel some years ago, I was expecting a pleasant, relaxing stay. The hotel is right in the centre of bath and on arrival was allocated a room on the top floor with views of the abbey and the Parade Park.

Our room was spacious but some of the furnishings and decor were rather tatty. The bathroom was clean apart from the rubber bath mat which had black mould underneath.

We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night but got very little sleep. There was a bar and a nightclub at the end of the block and the noise of revellers hanging about outside the hotel went on till about 2 or 3am. My friends were staying in a room at street level and found the noise even worse down there.

The continental breakfast was OK but I was disappointed there was no cooked breakfast as on my previous stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2009

A nice looking building in the centre of town, we were quite pleased when we first arrived. The room itself looked a bit shabby, it was a 'four poster' room and was smallish but adequate. It did whiff quite badly and we had to open the windows each time we came in. We wouldn't have taken it on those grounds if we'd seen it before booking. The main problem was the noise at night. There is a nightclub at the bottom of the building and you are treated to the youth of Bath shouting and screaming outside in the street, till 3 or 4 in the morning. It was completely impossible to sleep. We also had the choice of keeping the window shut and suffocating with the stench, or opening it and getting twice the volume of noise.
When we were leaving I mentioned the noise to the receptionist, who told me I was in the city centre and obviously didn't give a monkeys. Find somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2009

the room it self was a tight sqeeze. there was about 30 cm gap around the bed and then you reach the cupboard, the dresser, and the door for the bathroom.
there was no lift so if you were unfortunate to have the rooms on the third floor you would have to carry your bags up yourself. the staff dont offer you any help with the bags at all even though they can see its a struggle.
there is no room service and even when there is a menu on the desk in your room with food to order from downstairs there is not a chef available to make the food.
breakfast was unbelievable and not in a good way. basically toast is availble and so are hard boiled eggs with butter and cheese. if you are lactose intolerant or are allergic to wheat lets just say your going to be very hungry!
the best and only thing that was good about this hotel is that it is right next to city centre.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Stayed at Parade park over the bank holiday weekend and booked it very late so wasn't too sure what to expect.

Superb location, overlooking the park and river so great as a base to explore Bath. Had a room at the front and we were warned it could get noisy as the hotel is next door to a club. Although we couldn't really hear the music, there were a lot of drunk people shouting outside in to the early hours but it was a bank holiday weekend. Good service and although only a continental breakfast, it was OK but I felt they should have offered a full english option.

There is no hotel car park and parking is expensive in Bath so if your just going for a weekend, I recommend you take the train which is a 5 min walk from the hotel.

Good hotel and Bath is a great city for a long weekend

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple