“more interesting than I expected”

Museum of Bath at Work
Ranked #34 of 165 things to do in Bath
Reviewed May 18, 2013

As other reviewers said, it's really mostly about one business. But the business did so many things, and the workshop was preserved so well, that we enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't travel far to see it, but if you're in Bath, and have some time, it's well worth a visit. I now have a much better idea how brass foundries ran and how unsafe they were, for example!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Interesting to my wife and I. It is really a collection of the relics of a personal business, run by - apparently - a cheapskate who did very well for himself. I was interested in the factory as it was before government safety regs! No guards or safety details in this shop - no one thought of it back then! I assume if you lost an arm to the overhead belt that drove your piece of machine shop equipment.....oh well, don't come in tomorrow - you are of no use to me now. If you ever worked in a machine shop - this site is for you!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We enjoyed it , but it was mostly about one old business in Bath that they manage to buy the remnants of.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The faithfully reproduced factory settings were fascinating and gave real insight into the workings of a mid-1900s workshop. There was lots of information available and the displays were all wonderfully set out and visually appealing. This will delight anyone who is mechanically inclined or interested in how industry can shape a city.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This museum is different and very interesting. As the brochure says, 'The Bath engineering workshops and fizzy-pop factory of Victorian businessman J B Bowler closed in 1969 after nearly 100 years of trading. Tens of thousands of objects - from sealing wax to steam engines - are displayed in authentic settings.' In fact, the whole lot was carefully photographed and set up again in this building so it's just like visiting the original - it even smells like a factory. I found the old 'shop front' and office particularly interesting, and there are other fascinating displays as well. I know nothing about manufacturing or tools or machinery, but I found it a fascinating step back in time.

1  Thank profecto