“Wonderful Georgian House, excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Apsley House Hotel

Apsley House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Shoreham-by-Sea
“Wonderful Georgian House, excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed for three nights early March. We were greeted outside by Anél who instantly made us feel very welcome.

Being shown to our room (Garden Room) we could see it was very clean and well presented.

We met Duncan in the evening, who was very very helpful. Being a trained chef he also prepared the mornings breakfasts. I must admit, the Full English Breakfast was perfect only using good quality food. Excellent. None of the cheap stodgy stuff you find in other B&Bs.

Having a chat on our last night about pancakes with maple syrup, he said he would make that the special the following morning. He did not let us down. Perfect.

Apsley House is perfectly priced.

Taxis cost about £6 each way, Buses about £2 each (bus stop right outside). We walked into town a couple of times but prepare for a half hours walk (downhill in and uphill back).

If you are reading this and you fancy staying in a period house with traditional decor then this would be the place for you.

We only have one regret. We didn't say good bye to Duncan.

Duncan and Anél, Thank you. You were both wonderful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night last August and what a pleasant night it was. Apsley House is a beautiful Georgian building, with beautiful furniture and a fantastic breakfast room. (lovely sausages!) Overall a perfect place to stay whilst visiting Bath.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Llanymynech, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

We first stayed in the main house this time last year, and were full of praise for everything. This year, as we were staying longer, we booked into the Coach House on a self-catering basis; having our own parking space right outside the door was very convenient, too.

We walked into town on the first evening, and it took us 35 minutes to reach Queen's Square ~ we don't walk fast, but being downhill all the way it was an easy walk.

We were offered the chance of breakfast in the hotel on our first morning (a Friday), but not the following two days as they were full with Valentine's Weekend visitors. That said, the hotel provide the self-catering accommodation with enough supplies for a full cooked breakfast (and then some!). Knowing how great are the breakfasts, we dined "in house" on the first morning, and Jane found the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs as delicious as last year; I had the "chef's special" of French toast with bacon, which was excellent.

Our lounge was comfortable, with a wide selection of DVDs to watch if there was "nothing on the telly" :O)

We're looking forward to a third visit ~ and Jane hopes it's for a proper romantic weekend that doesn't involve the old motorcycles for a change!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

After reading the reviews of this hotel on this site I booked our weekend away. The staff were very friendly and could not have done more to help, booking taxis, recommending restaurants, and suggesting a scenic route into town. The room was very clean and quiet (we were in the old kitchen room on the back of the property) and well specced with a lovely 6ft wide bed. The breakfast was very good. Would definitely go back.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, Great property
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

Based on other reviews on tripadvisor we decided to stay at Apsley House overnight on our return leg from Cardiff to London. We were travelling via National Rail and the taxi from the train station to the hotel was not overly expensive. As we were a family of four (2 adults and 2 children aged 10 & 14) we stayed on the ground floor of what would be referred to as the coach house at the front of the hotel. Two bedrooms with separate lounge and kitchen included. The two couples who run the hotel were very friendly and helpful. You really feel you are experiencing true history when you stay here. Our accommodation was well appointed and we had no complaints.We loved Apsley House, you can walk to the city centre as it is downhill all the way. However, I strongly suggest you catch a taxi back, as it's all uphill. Make sure you do a guided tour of the roman baths, its worth it.

• Liked — Well appointed, yet historic feel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BrisbaneSmiley
Marlborough, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a nights stay at the Apsley House Hotel. Overall it was an ok hotel, but what let it down was it’s poor location and out of date bathrooms.

We stayed in a ‘four posted bedroom’ called ‘Romance’ which was elegantly decorated but I felt the bathroom was a little tired and shabby – definitely not a 5 star bathroom perhaps a 2 or 3 star. The lino was very dated, the shower head did not work properly as it was blocked with limescale and the toilet and basins had those horrid mats that fit around them. It really needed upgrading.

The hotel is located on the Western side of Bath. On the website it clearly states 1.3 miles to the centre of Bath (Queen Square). However, this is not true and it is more like 2-3 miles. Definitely NOT a ‘leisurely walk to the centre will take about 30 minutes’ – perhaps if you ran, it might take 45 minutes. Also the hotel is not set in a ‘secluded’ part of Bath as it is very build up everywhere and overlooks a school and hospital. I feel the website is very misleading.

The breakfast was very nice, although you are only given an hour slot in which to have it in – between 8-9am. Which I felt was a little inflexible and slightly early!

The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

My husband and I have stayed in Bath many times in several different hotels, but will not be returning to this one. It is not suitable for people visiting Bath as its location is impractical and was not worth what we paid. Overall we were very disappointed

• Liked — The room we stayed in was quite nice - but needed updating
  • Disliked — Poor location and misleading website. And out of date bathrooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank MrJSmith
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

I contacted the Apsley house based on recommendations on this site and could not have been happier with the recommendation. From my first contact with this business they were professional and personable. Booking the room was a joy, with quick and efficient email contact. I was able to choose the room that I wanted from pictures on their web site. I was also given a listing of restaurants in the town for dinner.

Upon arrival I was greeted and shown to the room. It was impecable. The couple that own and manage the B&B were very friendly and helpful. The walk to Bath was a bit longer than I expected, but very nice. There are umbrellas available at the front door for your use (which my wife and I did not take because the sun was out, our mistake).

Breakfast the next morning was excellent and the views from the dining room was very nice. There is a "honor bar" available in the lounge for late night use, which we did not make use of due to having just arrived from the US.

This was a very nice experience and a great way to spend my first night in England. I only wished that plans allowed us to spend another night there. I would definately go back to this establishment and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. The only negitive is that it's a little ways out of town, about a 15 -20 minute walk (which seems longer in the rain).

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff, very clean accommodations
  • Disliked — distance from town center
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business