“Great location, comfy room, nice people”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Bath
Warwickshire
“Great location, comfy room, nice people”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed over after going to the theatre and will definitely stay again. The staff couldn't be more helpful and the location is simply unbeatable for sightseeing, restaurants, shopping and theatre. Our (standard) room was compact but had been well thought out and had everything you could reasonably need. Infact this applies to the whole place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found all the staff to be helpful.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel based on Trip Adviser reviews and we were not disappointed.
Easily found with a sat nav, maybe slightly harder if no sat nav but once it's found you're not far from anywhere in city centre. We stayed one Sunday night, temperature was high during the day and pretty warm at night but no problem with noise anywhere nearby.
The hotel is decorated tastefully and well laid out although the building is relatively small. There is no on-site parking but you can book a local car park at an extra cost. The car park is close and within walking distance. We booked this at the same time as hotel.
The room was spacious, modern and the bed was very comfortable. the shower was a decent size, and toilet very well laid out.
Breakfast is excellent. There are continental breakfasts, orange juice, orders will be taken for tea and toast and breakfast is in menu form. We both opted for a cooked breakfast which was quite substantial.
Staff are very friendly and helpful. I would definitely use this hotel again, and recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlasgowGuitarist
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the hotel to your liking.

I am glad that you enjoyed what was on offer for breakfast, and found all the staff in the hotel to be helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Had an excellent weekend in Bath at Harringtons. I went for the package which included the private jacuzzi which was a nice touch. The hotel was right in the centre of town so everything was a maximum of 5minutes walk. Breakfast and the service was flawless. Wasn't the cheapest but it seems that the whole of Bath isn't either! Would go again

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us. I am extremely glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Hot Tub, it has proved very popular.

We are lucky with our location, and I am glad that you would stay with us again in the future.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a charming, small hotel in the heart of Bath's historic district.

Our room was larger than most rooms in older, boutique hotels and was well equipped with a very comfortable bed, large wardrobe and a bright, functional bath. There's no lift but stairs and landings are well designed and easy to navigate.

Breakfast was excellent, with a full selection of hot dishes and a good cold buffet spread. It's served in charming rooms that take you back to Georgian times if you squint your eyes.

The staff are friendly and helpful with restaurant and sightseeing recommendations. We will definitely stay here when we return to Bath.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeanpW
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

All of our rooms do differ in size, and we do our best to maximise the space. I am happy to hear that you found the room to be spacious and the bathroom to you liking.

I am thrilled to hear that you found all the staff to be helpful and friendly, and glad that you found the recommendations to be helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Loved this hotel! The rooms were nicely appointed, the location was outstanding (right down the street from the Roman Baths/other sights), and the staff was helpful/courteous. These were the most comfortable beds we slept on for our entire trip through England, pure heaven. The breakfast was outstanding: they offered a wide variety of choices as well as the standard "meatie" as well as a spread including lots of fresh ripe fruit, multiple types of juice, cereals, yogurt, etc. The only drawback is one that you find in most European hotels: no elevator/lift. However, the staff carried our bags up to our room and so we didn't have lug them ourselves. Felt like we had a little "home away from home" at Harington's and we'd definitely go back if we return to Bath.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TaraRoadTrip
Thank you for taking the time to make such a positive review about you stay with us. I am extremely glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found all aspects of the hotel to you liking.

Unfortunately we do not have a lift, however we are happy to assist with bags to the rooms. I am glad you found the hotel to be like "home away from home", and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We checked in on Fri 21st June and stayed for 2 nights.

Haringtons is a perfectly pleasant base and we would stay there again - very central and we could walk all around Bath without having to get a taxi.

I received an email from the manager about a week before we were due to stay to advise us to book a restaurant if we were visiting at the weekend - we took note of this advice and did just that. (really wanted to go to Sotto Sotto but fully booked-hotel recommended this restaurant when I rang asking for advice on an independent Italian restaurant).

Our room (no 10) was nice and clean, bed & bed linen looked superbly clean.

I assume that for most people, all you need your hotel for is somewhere to sleep so I wasn't fussed that the room wasn't huge - it suited our needs perfectly. Nice hot shower, clean, good lighting.

Breakfast was nice my husband chose the full monty which consisted of 1 sausage, 1 bacon, toast, choice of eggs, 1 tomato, black pudding and 2 mushrooms. I opted for the veggie option which was veggie sausage (which was lovely), choice of egg, toast, beans, fried bread, tomato and mushrooms. There were other options available such as pancakes, scrambled egg & a bagel or porridge. They also had a selection of fruit, yogurts croissants, cereals and juices.

We heard no noise at all from any pubs etc only the seagulls (our room overlooked the back of the hotel)!!!! Next time I would take ear plugs (you can buy these from reception if you choose).

Staff were nice and helpful.

We visited the thermae bath spa (take your own towels) otherwise you get charged.

Would recommend a trip down the canal only £8 pp.

We went to an indian restaurant one night called Rajpoot - very tasty food-best curry ever.

The pump room was lovely - we went mid morning for coffee and a bath bun.

One evening we went to Martini Italian restaurant for an evening meal.

If I were to suggest anything to the hotel it would be menial things such as: have more than 1 teabag in the room per person - I did ask for another 2 teabags & they gave me 4 more.

Would have been helpful to know about taking our own towels to bath spa.

We did book a feature room but I'm unsure of what the feature was??

It is quite expensive and I would slightly agree with another review made re: I wouldn't go so far as to call it a boutique hotel more a very good b&b.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review of you stay with us. I am glad that you found all the staff helpful and enjoyed your stay.

I am glad that you found the pre arrival email useful and that we could assit you with the planning of your trip.

I am glad that you enjoyed what was on offer for brekfast, we do have many positive reviews on our breakfast offerings.

All of our rooms do vary in size and layout due to the hotel being a listed georgian townhouse, so we are limited on what changes can be made to the internal fabric of the building.

We are very proud that we are officially recognised as a 3 star Metro hotel by the AA. We do offer a fully manned reception desk and a residants bar up until midnight each evening. We have also a residants lounge serving light food up until 9pm each day.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and do look forward welcoming you again the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an extremely expensive b&b for what you get, I defiantly would not call this a hotel. The bedroom was tiny ( about two foot one side of the bed, 4foot the other side ), dont know why they call it a boutique room probably so they can charge more, ceilings low,bathroom barely size for a bath,guess that's why it was a half sized bath, the bed was really poor! Only place that in the middle of the night I had to get up and sleep on the floor... Windows had blinds in place but let in all the light,pointless there being blinds there at all 6am wake up call more a less. Breakfast was average, no fresh juice and hardly any toast, selection was poor, if you wanted anything over one sausage and and egg you have to ask for it... There is no outside area,they say a hot tub, to be fair they have one and the have blinds down so others can not see you, hot tub is right outside back door and window. The place is not for the elderly or disabled as there is a crazy stair system in place, steps everywhere and not just on the stairs!

Bath is a nice place, don't let this place spoil it for you.

• Stayed May 2013
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Harington's Hotel. I'am very disappointed to see that you were not happy with certain aspects of your stay with us. Our rooms do vary in size and as we are a listed town house building we are unable to alter the fabric of the building very much. So our room layout will be different from a new built hotel. But I think this is one of our strengths as we are individual unlike the big chain hotels. Again being a listed building we are unable to have a lift. Generally as you go up the building our rooms will get smaller. Our standard double rooms are on the third floor of the house. If a guest prefers a larger room and wants to be on a lower floor I would suggest they book a superior double or Feature double room which are on lower floors. Or best of all call us directly and we would be delighted to go through our various room options with you.

Our outdoor area consist of a patio courtyard with our hot tub. When someone books the hot tub we close off the area for the guests private use. Otherwise is is available for general guest use.As we are located right in the very hearth of the city of Bath we do not have a large outdoor area. I dont quire understand the point about our breakfast being only a sausage and an egg. Our English breakfast consists of 2 x bacon. 1 x sausage, 1 x flat mushroom, 2 x slices of black pudding and egg of you choice. So you can have as much or as little as you want. We also have numerous other options on our menu, such as pancakes, vegetarian breakfast, Kippers, our healthy morning glory, various gluten free products, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, not to mention all our options on our buffet table. Some days people order pancakes and a full English and this is not a problem. I apologise if you were not asked if you wanted more toast, if you had asked we would have been delighted to replenish the toast for you.

Regarding the level of light coming into your room, our rooms have a combination of curtains and blinds and we have not had any adverse comments from guests about his in the past. Having said that I would like to know which room you stayed in to see if we can improve in this area. All our bedrooms have top quality Hypnos beds which go into 5 star hotels throughout the country, so again I would like to know which room you stay in to access the bed.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the guest to contact me directly (please ask for Peter or Julian) to discuss their stay, as I would be interested in understanding their concerns and how we can improve our level of guest satisfaction, and hopefully entice you to give us a second chance!!

We are really sorry you were not happy with your stay, but we work very hard to ensure all our guest have a great time when they stay with us at Harington's. We will endeavour to address the points you raised to see if we can improve our product and service. I look forward to hearing from you.