“Nice stay in central Bath”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel on Good Friday - we booked via Late Rooms although still paid a premium rate since it was a bank holiday. I would say that we would normally expect more for the money but also know that it's hard to get anything for much less than £200 per night in Bath.

The biggest selling point of this hotel is the location - slap bang in the middle of town, near shops, sights and bars/restaurants. The hotel offers parking (10mins walk) - you collect your permit at check in (just pull up on the double yellows outside the hotel and rush in!).

The hotel itself is nice - it is trying to be very 'boutique', so expect neutral colour schemes with a flash of red/aubergine/turquoise, etc, and some nice features (old school telephones, stag heads, etc in the rooms, etc). There is tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary water. Downstairs, there is a small lounge area/bar and a breakfast area, all well presented and cosy.

We stayed in room 8 on the first floor - the room itself was fine, reasonably spacious but with a small bathroom. The bathroom door didn't close properly but we raised this at check out so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

We opted for a continental breakfast which was simple but fine - a choice of cereals, yoghurts, toast/jam, etc. It's a help-yourself approach but it was fine.

Service was a bit mixed - some very good (check in, bar service) and some a bit slow (check out, breakfast, etc).

All in all, a good stay, but would probably expect more for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Would avoid a room on the ground floor as there is some noise from the local bars/pubs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed your visit to bath.

We have now rectified the problem you had with the bathroom door. All of our rooms are individually decorated and we try our best to keep them all in good order.

I am glad you found the service in the main good, however I am sorry you found some areas a bit slow. We try our upmost to provide excellent service in all areas.

We are lucky with our location being right in the centre. However I am sorry to hear that you were disturb in the night. Generally we do not suffer from noise due to the hotel being located on a side street.

We do hope you will visit again in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights in this lovely hotel last week, the staff are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble, even at the time of booking, last minute trip. The breakfast was delicious with a large selection to choose from and all cooked to order, delicious. Its location was perfect, right in the middle of bath, close to all the places to we wanted to visit. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your very kind review. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy to hear that you found all the staff helpful.

We have numerous positive comments about our breakfast, and I am glad that you enjoyed what was on offer.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Lovely hotel staff very friendly they cant do enough for you, rooms very clean and modern, would not recommend to people with waalking dificulties as there are a lot of stairs. This hotel is idal for shoppingas its a few mins walk to main town centre , my sister and i took my mum for 2 nights for her birthday we realy enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation staying here again

Room Tip: we had a triple room very spacious
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for reviewing you stay with us at the hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad your enjoyed her birthday treat.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at Harington's during a leisure visit to Bath. Chose the hotel based on reviews here at tripadvisor.com and it certainly paid off! Very lovely hotel. Well decorated and very stylish. Staff are all very friendly and helpful. Room #11, a double on the top floor, was larger than I expected and very nicely appointed. The bathroom featured a towel warmer that actually worked (a first in hotels I've stayed with in England)! Very good shower, larger than typical in English bed & breakfast hotels. Breakfast each morning offered a good selection of cooked items, including American pancakes with banana and syrup (imposible to find over here!), as well as the usual continental breakfast items. I felt very comfortable here as a single traveler. One pointer: do be sure to look the hotel up on a map prior to visiting Bath, as it would be quite difficult to locate if you didn't know where you were going. It's a roughly 10 minute walk from the train station and just a block off the main shopping street, but tricky to locate (luckily, I'd marked the route on a map). The location is very convenient to all major attractions in the city, as well as numerous restaurants. Definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Be aware there is no elevator to the upper floors. Maximum three flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about the hotel. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel to you liking and had a comfortable stay with us. All of our rooms do differ in size and layout due to the age of the building and we do our best to maximise the space available. I am glad you found this the case, as well as finding the room well decorated.

I am also glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, we do have a varied menu to try and accommodate everyone.

We are lucky with our location being close to all the major attractions.

Thank you once again for you positive comments, and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recommended to me by a friend for a business trip. I was staying alone and made to feel very safe and welcome. The room I had was fantastic, on split levels, and with a coffee machine! The bed was comfy, room nice and warm. Just perfect. I had the continental breakfast which was great, but I have heard the cooked breakfast is very good. Great service. Would most definitely return!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you took your friends recommendation and stayed with us recently. I am also happy to hear that you found your room well decorated and well appointed, all of our rooms have recently been refurbished and are individual in style. I am also glad you found the service great and the breakfast to your liking.

I am glad that we welcomed you back again recently, and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent the weekend at Harington's and have already decided we'll be back.
The hotel is ideally situated, right in the very centre of Bath and no more than a 2 min walk from everything!
Room 10 (a king feature room) was lovely, at the back of the hotel so very quiet and beautifull decced out.
The staff could not do enough, even bringing up couple of Baileys to the room at midnight.
The continental breakfast was a spread, lots of fresh fruit salad, croissants and cereals. My boyfriend upgraded to the fry up on day and said that was delicious as well.
All in all it was a lovely weekend in a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Book an hour in the hot tub (£7.50 per person) for a special treat!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about the hotel. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in bath. I am glad to hear you found the room well decorated and the staff helpful.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I visit Bath fairly regularly for work and have found The Harrington Hotel to not only offer excellent accommodation (great bathrooms and wonderfully comfortable beds), friendly and helpful staff and a hearty breakfast spread, but also an unbeatable central location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stays with us. We are lucky with our central location.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.