“Good bed and a yummy breakfast”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I came to Bath for a spa weekend with my mom. We loved staying in the quirky Harington's Hotel. It was a nice room, super nice staff and a delicious breakfast. The room set up was a little weird with the bathroom being upstairs and there was some street noise as the bars let out at night. But overall, everything was great -- very clean, really close to the spa and shopping. It was everything we wanted for our weekend trip. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am very happy that you had enjoyable stay with us at the hotel, and found everything clean and comfortable, and found the staff helpful. I am also glad that you enjoyed the breakfast.

I am sorry you experienced some street noise, due to the hotel being in a side street we don't often suffer from noise. The majority of our rooms at the front of the hotel do have secondary glazing which cuts this out. We are in the process of installing this into the remaining two rooms.

All of our rooms are different in layout due to the age of the building; this means our rooms do have some quirky features.

I am glad you would stay with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I came here for the weekend with my boyfriend and booked the only room they had left which was the Feature Double room(14)actually rather glad now as it was amazing!

The room is separate to the other rooms and has an individual spiral staircase leading up to the room which was nicely decorated and had a comfortable bed and pretty furniture.Shower/wetroom was nice,clean and modern and the stairs on a seperate level made it feel quite homely being a duplex room. The coffee machine was a nice touch as I love my espressos and we also took advantage of using the DVD player and borrowing a DVD ,another nice touch I felt.

The location is great ,right in the centre and if using the satnav the car park was very easy to locate and a short walk. We dropped our bags in the lobby first and was made to feel very welcome and even offered to use one of their umbrellas as it was raining when we arrived.

Breakfast was nice ,a good choice of cereals etc and there was a cooked breakfast option which can be ordered at the time also.

We took advantage of the hot tub both nights and thoroughly enjoyed doing so ,nice way to relax before our evening meal.

This place was lovely and the staff were exceptional nothing was too much trouble,they put a fan in the room for me and then swapped it when I said it was a little noisy,didn't seem annoyed either seemed happy to help.

We plan to go back very soon

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel.

I am glad that you found Room 14 to be to your liking, and found it clean and comfortable. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed using our hot tub, which is a recent addition to the hotel and proving popular.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, I will be sure to pass these on to all involved. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Harington's Hotel is a constant for our visit's to Bath.
The staff are always happy, willing to help with anything from minding your bags if you are too early, the same for check out if you are leaving Bath later.
The porridge with a drop of whiskey excellent on a cold day. The central location makes this a good stopover for both Theatre Royal and The Little Theatre. Restaurants all round with an abundance of choice.
Another great stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about the hotel. I am glad you had and enjoyable stay with us again.

Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the coming year.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My partner booked this as we had some treatments she was given at the Thermae Spa thing round the corner and I am the laziest tourist on this planet for walking anywhere.
Arrival was no problem, very helpful and polite. I requested the parking and went off to their 'off site' parking, thought...'Hmmm' ... But that's just me......the chap behind the counter who looked like Alan Carr, said my vehicle might be too large for their on site parking and yes it was tight, very tight but I got my big off roader in at a squeeze which similar to the previous disgruntled reviewer mentioned she did not fancy leaving her expensive car at the car park, I agree entirely, I had visions in the dark of bandits, cut purses and highway men walking back to the hotel but had to get out 'Dukes of Hazzard' style as the walls squashed me in.
Ok, the hotel was clean, decor was fine, no complaints really, couldn't have asked for more really, our room was up two flights, bad for me, fine for others no doubt.
I actually liked Bath as I found shop staff polite, friendly and helpful but the staff at Harrington's were outstanding for a little place like this. A lovely lady on reception was more than helpful, charming and polite and gave us directions to Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant....next review coming folks!)
Breakfast was just fine, good quality stuff, I very rarely having breakfast but this was great. They kindly let me keep my car there even though we had checked out and offered to pay but they daid it was fine until I wanted to go but we scooted out of Bath just before 1600 and they were a lovely bunch people working there. A very nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time for making such a positive review about the hotel and staff. Charlotte Street car park does have CCTV, however whenever the space behind the hotel is available we are happy to assist. I am glad I was able to help in this case.

I am glad you found the rooms and breakfast to your liking. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff I will be sure to pass these on.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Booked a feature room for my wife and I for a lovely weekend. Room 14 has a spiral staircase and is well equipped with TV, coffee machine, free WI-FI, and complementary bottled water. We had a lovely choice of Breakfast each morning, which consists of Full Monty (cooked), Salmon and Scrambled egg, along with buffet style, which was Cereal, Fresh Fruit and Juices.We also had lunch there on the Saturday afternoon which again was lovely. We wish we had a drink in the Bar at night though. All in all it was a great stay, helpful staff, great location ( 5 mins from everywhere it seems !) and nice food. The parking is as others have said, in Charlotte Street carpark but its 5 minutes walk and perfectly secure. Haringtons comes highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for traking the time to wrie such a positive review. I am extremly glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel. Thank you for the compliments on the breakfast and luchtime menu I will be sure to pass these on.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in this hotel at the beginning of December for a couple of nights and found it well positioned to do the central sights of bath and our Christmas shopping.
Our suit was very confortable, although the bin and delivery lorries start early in the morning.
Breakfast was brilliant and the residents bar stayed open until midnight.
A Very pleasant stay

Room Tip: Back rooms might be protected from early morning noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel. We are lucky with our position being in the centre. I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and had a comfortable stay.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

A small 'boutique' hotel with 13 rooms situated in the heart of Bath city centre. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Bath Spa Station and within a short walk of all Bath's attractions. Parking can be arranged by the hotel if required. The hotel is a conversion of an old traditional Bath stone building and features individually designed rooms fitted out to a very high standard. The staff are friendly and very helpful and there is a pleasant resident's bar and restaurant on the ground floor. The restaurant only serves breakfast but there are a host of eating places round and about which the staff will be happy to discuss, book if required and provide directions to etc. There is a good quality continental breakfast included in the room rate but you can chose to pay an additional £7.50 and upgrade to a cooked one. I would recommend the upgrade as the quality of the cooked breakfast was fantastic, cooked to order and comprising first class locally sourced ingredients.
Rooms are spotlessly clean, my bed was very comfortable, fitted with lovely cotton sheets etc and the bathroom facilities were excellent. Mine had a good walk in shower stall but no bath. I was perfectly happy with this. There were excellent complimentary toiletries provided. There is genuine free wi-fi throughout the hotel and complimentary bottled water in each room. Bath is not a cheap city but the hotel is fairly priced for it's central location and quality of accommodation. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will certainly return.
The only word of caution I would make is that the old building is tall and there is no lift. My room, 12, was on the top floor and there were 52 steps and four landings between it and reception. Staff are happy to carry your luggage for you if required but for anyone with mobility problems it is worth checking with the hotel to see if they can have one of the lower rooms at the time of booking.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alastair S
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the room clean and comfortable.

Unfortunately the town house does have a number of stair leading to the top floor and do to our listed status we are unable to install a lift. However we will allocate rooms on lower floor if available and we are always happy to assist with luggage to rooms.

I am glad you found the breakfast to your liking. We do offer Full English Breakfast included in the room rate when booked directly with the hotel.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.