“The worst place on 4 continents!”
Review of Bath YMCA

Bath YMCA
Ranked #12 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Bath
London, UK
“The worst place on 4 continents!”
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Possibly the worst hostel I have even stayed in on four continents. We had room no. 123, the one with the concrete, 100-year-old matresses and condensation running down the walls. The nearby bathrooms were filthy and smelly. I took the shortest shower I could and my husband took one look at the cracked mouldy tiles and filthy floor and declined. I was told that there was a female only shower on the ground floor in the ladies toilets, but the door was screwed shut and had been so for some time. The staff were completely unaware. Breakfast was some toasted bread with jam - blah.
The lounge downstairs has a massive flat screen TV which cuts out every 25 seconds on the dot - very entertaining.
We paid 40 pounds to be treated like ........
And it isn't because I'm used to 4 star - I've stayed in cheap backpacker hotels all over India. All were better than this.
I was going to say it was like the 3rd world, but I've been there and it was paradise with great food compared to Bath YMCA.
Anyone from Bath YMCA who disagrees with my review is welcome to spend a night in room 123. I would say "sleep the night" but you won't.

• Liked — There was nothing to like.
  • Disliked — Everythings
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doctorsally

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This YMCA had everything you need.

It had laundry and internet facilities.

The rooms were clean and pleasant. It wasn't noisy.

The staff were friendly.

Its close to the sights.

Breakfast was good and you only had to pay 2 pound extra to get a full breakfast.

I'd recommend it

• Stayed August 2007
british columbia
Reviewed October 11, 2007

This hostel was a good find. It was right in the heart of Bath, walkable to everything! My husband and I got a two person room. It was so clean and comfortable, we even had our own TV. It was a great couples alternative to renting a hotel room. And inexpensive too! The breakfast was really good also.

Stayed September 2007
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This is a good choice for anyone on a budget. The lobby area is just as it appears on their website. Big bonus is free wifi in the lobby, although if you don't have your own computer they charge to use their desktops.

Had a bit of a hard time finding it at first, but location was excellent - maybe a 10-15 minute walk to the train station, 5 to the baths and abbey. Two minutes from a grocery store - try the store brand chicken tikka masala and heat up in the microwave (on the table where the bread and toaster is in the morning) at the 'y' for a quick, cheap and delicious dinner.

Breakfast of toast, cereal, juice, coffee tea is self service and all you can eat. A bit hard to figure out because they also serve a cooked breakfast, but just ask one of the staff and they'll explain it all to you. Cooked breakfast items were very reasonable, but being on a tight budget the continental did me fine.

Hallways upstairs were a bit sparse, and peoples doors echoed horribly, but never really woke me at night. The room itself was a good size with a desk, 2 chairs, a basin, a wardrobe and a bunk bed. They were out of singles, but gave me a bunk room for the single price (25 pounds). I didn't like the bunk, but the fact that they were out of singles speaks to the quality for cost of this place. Mattress wasn't very comfortable, but certainly wasn't the worse I had on my trip. The shared washrooms/showers were clean, and I almost never saw another person in them (once someone was showering). I was a bit leery at first because they are shared gender too, but never a problem. There's a phone on the stairway landing to each floor, so it was nice that I could receive calls from home. They would page me and I would run to the phone.

The staff were okay, not overly friendly certainly but not rude either. Other guests pretty much kept to themselves, and there was never any problems with noisiness or drunkenness.

I think this is an absolutely terrific option for the budget traveller, who is willing to go for hostels rather than hotels. This was the first experience I had ever had with this type of accomodation (I've always stayed in hotels before), and I would stay here again.

• Liked — free wifi in the lobby
  • Disliked — notting being able to sit up in bed (bunk bed)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank ktowntravllr
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Stayed there for two nights during short vacation in UK. I got a single room with shared bathroom facilities for approximately 25 pounds a night. Continental breakfast was included with room(enough food to give energy for the day).

Very clean and quiet facility, only minutes away from major attractions in Bath. Rooms were quite spacious as well. No late night parties or noises from drunken backpackers. Crowd were mostly adult travellers or school groups and everyone respected the hostel rules.

• Liked — Value, quality of service/cleaniness
  • Disliked — It's slightly far walk to the bus station (10 to 15mins, depending on how much luggage)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank mcmug2002
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2007

At the end of our walk on the Cotswolds Way we, 3 single guys, spent our last night at the YMCA in Bath. We paid 17 pounds each for a quadruple bedded room for 3. Great value.

The beds were pretty comfortable and the towel service, 75p per towel, was reasonable. The room had a sink and wardrobe. the communal bathrooms were fine but you felt like you needed sandals to walk around in and in the shower.

The location is excellent, just up from the Abbey, across from Wagamama restaurant (Japanese style chain from London) and within easy walking distance of lots and I mean lots, of good pubs.

Inexpensive internet access in the lobby. Good security up to the accommodation floors.

The continental breakfast, which is included, is very confusing and takes quite a while to figure out. Cereal is on one side of the room, milk on the other. Coffee is included but comes from an espresso machine that you would think wouldn't be included. Full English breakfast is available for about 2 pounds.

All in all an inexpensive, centrally located accommodation option that fit the bill. Wouldn't stay here with my family but for three guys looking to celebrate the end of a long walk worked perfectly fine for us.

• Liked — The price and location
  • Disliked — Feeling like I needed sandals in the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank BuccaneerDave
Viernheim, Germany
Reviewed May 27, 2007

The rooms are very basic, but they have a sink. It is in a good location off the main street in a courtyard, with friendly and informative staff, clean unisex bathrooms, and for a good price. The only minor downsides were having to pay for the towels and the rather bland breakfast. The breakfast was only cereal, toast and coffee, however, there was an English breakfast available at a reasonable price. One big plus that really impressed us was the availability of free soy milk with cereal instead of cow's milk! Overall, this place was just what we were looking for!

• Liked — price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple