“Our first hostel experience turned out very well.”
Review of Bath YMCA

Bath YMCA
Ranked #12 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Bath
Massachusetts
“Our first hostel experience turned out very well.”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Much nicer than we had expected, not being familiar with hostels. We had a private twin room that locked, simply furnished and clean. Our room was quiet, even though the YMCA is near the town center and there was also a school group staying while we were there. Had wondered if the other guests would all be under 25, but there was a wide age range of ages, from older kids to a few retirees. The location is very convenient to the sights. The people at the desk were cheerful and continental breakfast was included. Some maps shows two entrances, but head for the one on the left side of the building. If you plan to walk from the train station with ample luggage as we did, be aware that it's uphill.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ANewEnglander

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We picked Bath as a central location to make side trips to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and the Cotswolds, so we wanted a place that we could stay for an extended time without breaking the bank and the YMCA fir the bill perfectly. It's not exactly roughing it, but if all you want is a clean place to sleep after a day's adventure, this is a good choice. The rooms are spartan with communal shower and toilets, but it is well run, secure, and convenient. Be prepared for youth groups that frequent this inn, they can be noisy and underfoot in the lounge (where there is a TV and wi-fi). But you are a short walk from the Roman baths, good restaurants, and most attractions. Breakfast is included.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kansas57
Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night in a private double room. The beds were twin size and somewhat comfortable. I was really disappointed the restroom was all the way down the hall. I was nervous using the restroom because there were men who were loitering near the door. The restrooms were clean but had a very pungent urine odor. I was completely grossed out by the smell. The restroom reminded me of an old high school gym locker. In the shower stall, there was one tiny hook and nothing else to hang towels or clothes. I would have just walked out in a towel but as I mentioned there were men loitering near by. Although this place was very inexpensive, I would not stay here again. If you are planning to visit Bath, then splurge a bit and stay in a B&B. We only selected this place because we decided at the last minute to visit Bath and all other accommodations were booked. On a more positive note, the location is good. There was a nice Italian restaurant right across the street. It was about a 10 minute walk to central Bath. The staff is very friendly. Breakfast was decent and very affordable.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Basically, the price is reasonable. Much cheaper than other similar inns. However, it was very noise in the first floor. Perhaps, the rooms right above the kitchen were affected. The staff there are usually friendly. A tall strong gentleman even showed me how to get hot water from a machine. However, a lady staff worked like a robot. She could not do two simple things at the same time. Anyhow, I felt not too bad, could be regarded as 'comfortable' during the 3-day stay. The location is good. You may not find it easily.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Very good hostel, clean and cosy with warm rooms with a sink and desk and cupboard in the room (we had a three bed private room). Bathrooms were clean and bright, with plenty of hot water. Breakfast was included (continental) but you could buy a hot brekkie for a decent price.

Good location, but a bit hard to find. Look on a map before you get there. No parking - but they do give you a map to a long stay car park if needed.

Highly recommended hostel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank straykate
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in the dorm. Actually we bought 2 beds in a 10-bed mixed dorm but I think there must be 8 bunk beds (16 people?) in the room assigned to us. Didn't go back to reception to ask since it was just 2 nights.

Location:
Unfortunately, we did not consult google maps online nor take a map before leaving the train station (which would have been incredibly helpful). According to directions given on Hostelworld, the YMCA is properly signposted on both streets it straddle, but we kept missing it because the alleys it hid behind were unassuming. And if you're carrying heavy luggage, go by Broad Street as there is a flight of stairs to navigate if you go via Walcot Street.

It is however, right smack in the middle of the attractions Bath has to offer. All within walking distance, which made getting back from the Royal Theatre after watching a play very convenient and safe for a lone girl (just hold on to common sense).

Service:
Male reception desk staff who helped with our check-in was polite but detached, female coworker of his was not friendly at all (and this was with a smile on my face and over a few "conversations"). Case in point: we asked if we could print a coupon off from the National Rail site and she dismissed us very lightly while keeping her eyes on the computer screen THE ENTIRE TIME. It was really not very pleasant.

HOWEVER, there was this older man (he has grey hair but twinkling eyes - and this is for real) who works the reception at night who is extremely nice. My friend approached him for recommendations for dinner and he noted them down on the map very seriously and while consulting a regular stayer. Did not get his name, but he always says hi to us with a big smile and asked my friend about her day ever since then (and not in the creepy sort of way). He's the best thing about the place!

Room:
Musty. Cold. Very cold. I come from a tropical country and am usually a deep sleeper but I was really stressed out sleeping in the room and woke up in the middle of both nights shivering. I hated the room so much, mainly due to the lack of heating. Looking back, not even sure why I did not think to ask reception about it. Probably because the 6 other people in the room seemed to sleep fine anyway, but it was really a bad experience after being able to lounge around in shorts at our prior hostel in London (snowing as well). Or maybe I am just really very spoilt and not that good with hosteling.

Never had to wait for the shared showers/toilets, but maybe because I usually only use them past 9pm when everyone seemed to have gone to bed.

Food:
The eating area is no-frills. The free breakfast was nothing to write home about at all. I did see quite a few people having the (paid) English breakfast though.

Environment:
Not a very strong hosteling vibe about the place. One television which we were afraid to hog at first, but eventually realised that nobody stayed in the lounge anyway. By the way, if there are no plugs in your private rooms, there is one below the window near the television in the lounge. You can probably hog it for a bit.

Overall:
The place seems rather outdated and quite stuffy like it hasn't been aired properly in a bit. The free Wifi broke down the day we left, so we had to buy the internet card for access on the available computers (unfriendly lady was on desk duty and I had to suffer her indifference to get the card). Otherwise, best thing was the nice man at reception.

I'd probably look elsewhere if I were thinking of staying in the dormitory during winter, but the location is too good. Might splurge out for the Hilton across the street if I were there again (kidding! too much money) or a B&B across the River Avon, or just wear more clothes to sleep during winter so I don't feel the bitter cold when I wake and leave the comforter.

Other tips:
1. We bought internet time at Bath Library to print out the coupon, and the time ran out faster than it should and we wasted time on getting it done. Moral of this story? Print out all the coupons you need at home, kids.
2. If you travel to Bath by National Rail, you can get 2-for-1 discounts for Roman Baths (among other attractions) but there are no available 2-for-1 coupons at train stations like the ones they have for paper travelcards in London. You have to fill up a form online and print it out for it to be valid. Also have your railway tickets obviously.
3. At the theatre, drop the £18 (last few rows) and get the £6 bench seats at the top of the theatre, but only during less busy periods. Half of them were empty were empty during the "Merry Wives of Windsor" play I watched so people with £6 tickets could move a few rows up. Not much difference other than assigned seating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank leepypy

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I was only staying three nights over the weekend and wanted somewhere affordable to stay. Like one of the previous reviewers, I had already done the whole "hostel" thing a couple years ago and yes, "been there, done that". I too decided to take a gamble and, like the previous reviewer, I lost as well.

I was in a four bed room my first night and a 12 bed dorm the next night. The first night was ok as I was the only one in the room, but the 12 bed dorm was awful. The room I was in was beside a room full of trashy, beligerent binge drinkers who had vomitted all over the bathroom. Rooms were basic and cold. Bathrooms were slightly disgusting. Shower water temperature was lukewarm. Water all over the floor. Interesting smells throughout the building. It was all a bit much for me, so I cancelled my third and last night and found a better budget hotel outside of the City.

Budget travelers beware: there is no self-catering kitchen; only a microwave and hot water. The cafeteria is only opened on weekdays for lunch, not dinner. Also no communal lounge/hang-out area.

Location is great though. Free wifi. Some staff were very helpful. Some were not.

But altogether a neutral/bad experience (although I do admit it is extremly hard to find a quiet hostel during a rowdy Saturday night). Would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo