“Misleading information” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 192 Bath B&B and Inns
London
“Misleading information”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

The information given on their website is misleading. It sates on their 'Breakfast' page that "we strive to cater for everyone". This is clearly NOT the case. They are a vegetarian house and not prepared to serve non-vegetarian food. This was not made clear on their website or at the time of booking. The attitude and response of the owner when challenged on this point was not one you would expect from someone in the hotel industry. The cost of staying at this guest house is also quite high compared with other hotels/guest houses/B&Bs.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HogTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
West Chester, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the last night of our trip to Paris and wandering around the UK. Peter was extremely helpful in getting us settled, giving us the choice of several rooms. We selected a very roomy spot on the first (2nd to Americans) floor with a king sized bed, and a lovely view of the town out the window. He recommended the upper floor if we had any troubles with traffic noise, but we were never bothered the whole night into morning. The room had lots of nice extras like bottled water, full tea service, biscuits, and decorative features arranged just so that made it really special. Peter also provided a map of the town, recommended several walks about, a restaurant for dinner, and was very warm and helpful during our entire stay. The bed apparently has a new mattress and was incredibly comfortable - I didn't wake up through the whole night and slept great. The bathroom, as many seem to be, was very small for us tall Americans, but clean. My boyfriend loved the big flatscreen tv, and the location was excellent - just a few blocks from the downtown so we walked everywhere. Breakfast was delicious, and I wish we could have stayed a few more nights to fully relax. Next time we're in Bath, this will be our first choice of where to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

What more can I say? From the minute we walked in the door, we were welcomed by a very friendly Peter. He gave us advice on sightseeing, showed us to our lovely room. The house is beautiful, we felt right at home.
Room was spacious, immaculately clean, had everything we needed and more, including beautiful en-suite, flat-screen tv, tea/coffee making facilities! Breakfast the next morning was delicious and plenty! Everything is fresh, organic and made right in front of you. Great cook!
The guest house is located minutes from the centre of Bath, walking distance from the main attractions, and easily accessible from the train/bus station (4/5min drive).
There was not one thing we didn't like about it and would DEFINITELY recommend to anybody!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

Before I start typing the review I wanted to inform all the readers that this is a VEGETARIAN guesthouse. There is no bacon, sausage (except for the vegan one) or any other form of meat for breakfast. I was not informed about that, which made me upset, but that still did not destroy my great experience with this guesthouse.

As I was living in Bath as a student and required accomodation for myself and my parents during graduation I had a comfort of checking most of the offers around Bath in person. I can honestly admit that no other guesthouse that I visited was as nice as Marlborough House. I was given the Floral Room. It was spacious, the double bed was large (single bed was sufficient), with a nice decor and view. The bathroom was clean and modern. I really enjoyed the tea and coffee station, as they also included a bottle of home made liquer which was refilled daily.

The whole guesthouse is spotless. The smell of flowers that strikes everyone once walking through the main door is amazing. The breakfast room is great. The location is perfect.

One more time, the only thing that I did not like was the fact that there was no information that this is an entirely a vegeterian guesthouse. On the website it clearly says "At Marlborough House, we strive to cater for everyone" - well, unfortunately they did not cater for me as I eat meat. But I settled for some yoghurt and eggs and I made it through.

All in all, in my opinion if you are vegetarian you will not find a better guesthouse in Bath.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kuba24
Novato, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Marlborough house is an easy walk into Bath. The room was large and the hospitality was wonderful. We had a large bed and a flat screen TV. The breakfast was good but not great. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Spent a wonderful day and evening in Bath, choosing Marlborough House for its location. Could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. Peter is a warm and charming host and most gracious. The rooms were beautifully furnished and very well kept. When we walked into our room my sister wanted to spend our entire stay there and skip seeing the town. There was a bit of street noise but did not keep us from drifting into a wonderful nights sleep in very comfortable beds. The breakfast was well beyond our expectations and a welcome relief from the usual "English Breakfast". Perer sent us to eat dinner at the Circus and it was a great find. All in all a 5 star experience for a B&B.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

The guest house was everything that was described in their web site. Rooms were immaculate, furniture was stunning and well chosen. The staff made us and our little dog very welcome; being vegetarian and having a dog might have made our holiday uneasy, but the host was able to suggest a wealth of restaurants and places to visit. Absolutely splendid.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple