“Great location and lovely accommodation”
Review of Pulteney House

Pulteney House
Ranked #18 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My daughter and I came to Bath to celebrate her 40th birthday and stayed one night at the Pulteney B & B. It was particularly good that we could park our car securely on site, a real bonus in such a busy city. We were welcomed on our arrival and shown to our nice room on the lower ground floor, with it's own outside entrance it was nice clean and cosy with really comfy beds. We were given really good ideas on places to see and a map which she marked out for us so we could find our way around. Breakfast was perfect and the service was good. If we come back to Bath again we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the coach house. The room was cosy with everything we needed and a very comfortable bed. The train line runs literally next to the room but we like trains so it was not an issue (and they didn't run at night). A good breakfast and a very nice welcome. We'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Pulteney hotel as part of a short stay in Bath a city we had not visited before. On arrival we were met by friendly staff who gave us some excellent advice and information being first time visitiors. The off road car parking and location were an imediate attraction. We booked a double room as it turned out in the separate building behind the main hotel which proved to be very pleasant for our needs. Very cosy bed, all facilities were adequate and well maintained. We awoke the next day after a good nights sleep so much so we had not realised there was a railway running behind our room so I can testify it not being an issue. There was a good choice for breakfast again served by very friendly staff. Bath was a great place to visit enhanced by our stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: The 4 poster best was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Warmly welcomed by the owner of the guesthouse upon arrival we were looking forward to our stay. But sadly we left slightly disappointed. Put very briefly the shower was extremely poor probably an embarrassment even for the Romans, barely enough flow to rinse your hair. The shower isolation switch was located on the ceiling as normal but had no cord to be able to switch it. This proved a little bit of an obstacle to both of us and we had to stand on something to be able to use the shower. We were placed in the annex building and this was extremely noisy with trains rumbling by, other guests doors banging shut and conversations in other rooms could be heard. Also when asking about wifi I was pleased to hear that the hotel provided free wifi but it didn't reach to the room in which we were placed. Frankly I am annoyed by this excuse in the various hotels/ guest houses I have stayed as having another router installed isnt the hardest of jobs especially when you are charging a premium rate for a room and not providing what can be considered the basics for today's modern life. Luckily I didn't need to conduct any business and my trip was purely for leisure. Upon checkout we were unable to find anyone in the whole complex to be able to hand a key too and any comments we had. Hence this review now! We had to leave the key with a note just outside the breakfast room as there was no dedicated reception area.
On the plus side though the bed was extremely comfortable, the room was lovely and warm, breakfast was delicious and the location to the centre of bath was perfect. So all in all a comfortable stay and i realise Bath is an expensive place to stay but I feel it was slightly overpriced. Of course just my opinion but I will not return or recommend to friends or family

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dogfish343
TeenBathUK, Manager at Pulteney House, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are most disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had hoped to and will pass on your comments to the necessary staff.
We appreciate the opportunity to respond to some of the comments made. The showers are electric and have the on/off button located on the control unit and it is not necessary to use the isolation switch. This should only be needed for maintenance, hence the unit is designed not to be easy for guests to get to. The showers are operated on the shower unit itself. If the shower is not used correctly ie wrong heat settings, then the flow rate will not be at its optimum. I can assure you that these work fine if used correctly.
Wi-Fi is available in the communal areas for those who are located in the annex as stated on our website.
If there is no one at Reception ( yes, there is one ) we have a Ring for attention button or the door bell to attract staffs attention. At times it is necessary to help other guests, so there may not be some one manning the desk especially after 11am. Our check out time is 10.30am when Reception is always manned up to 11am.
However we are glad you liked the comfy bed and the breakfast. We will try to explain the shower use to others to avoid such problems in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Pulteney Hotel as part of a family weekend break.

We had a family room in the main part of the hotel which had a double bed and two single beds for the children. This was fine and the room did not feel too cramped. The bathroom was at a lower level and was very well appointed. Not the cheapest room to be honest, but more convenient than booking separate bedrooms.

Other members of my family were in the annex building to the rear of the hotel. Again the bedrooms here were fine and were well appointed - more modern compared to those in the original building. No complaints of train noise.

Check in was fine and the owner of the hotel was very friendly asking lots of questions about where we had all come from and what we wanted to do that weekend, recommending restaurants ,etc. The car parking is rather tight at the rear of the hotel and you probably need to arrive early in the day if you want to get a good space.

I did like the residents lounge in the basement of the hotel as we could all relax here and have a drink at the end of each day without disturbing anybody. Breakfast was just ok overall, a bit cramped and claustrophobic at 9am when everyone seemed to be in there. I don’t think that the low ceiling helps with this.

The hotel is in a good location for walking into town and this was not a problem for the children - no more than 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JLDarlo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked rather late for New Year's Eve in Bath so options limited but this appeared to be best value (that's relative to Bath as prices are higher than elsewhere). It's excellent for location for city centre sights and free parking is rare this close. Obviously the proximity to railway is a minus but we were not too troubled as sevice doesn't run through the night. We had the small twin room in the basement so knew what to expect (and it was small). It did have outside windows and radiator kept room warm although ensuite did get cold. Breakfast not brilliant as no sausages one morning as commented on by others and selection of fruit and juices etc limited. Staff very friendly and use of internet handy. In our view hotel/guest house (not sure what it is) could benefit from refurbishing. Impressive building from outside and nice garden if visiting in summer.

Room Tip: Obviously if a light sleeper do not have a room in stable block or at rear of building
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrandMrsSJ
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived at the Pulteney Guest House relatively early on the day of our stay. The woman who showed us in told us that we had been upgraded to the main house instead of the outside annex/coach house. After reading the other reviews I now realise how lucky we were!

Our room was lovely and spacious, and although the decor was old fashioned I would call it elegant rather than tacky. In fact I was very, very comfortable in the bedroom. And we had a lovely selection of tea, coffee hot chocolate and biscuits.

The only downside was the en-suite as it was very poorly insulated and had a lot of condensation on the walls. In the morning it was trickling down the walls and I suggest the owners get this fixed in some way. However, saying that it was beautifully decorated and relatively spacious with a nice warm shower.

I personally found the owners very friendly, but then we didn't have much to complain about - so maybe things would be different if that were the case. in fact in many ways they went out of their way for us so I really can't complain.

I found the breakfast okay and there is a really good selection to choose from. It was a bit mediocre on the food front but certainly not awful. I also had the vegetarian breakfast one day and the tomato and mushrooms didn't taste particularly fresh but I think I am being a tad picky there. My friends who I was with thoroughly enjoyed theirs.

I would say they make up for friendliness what they may lack in other areas and based on my own stay I would thoroughly recommend. But don't stay in the out house!

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the house which was lovely and quiet and away from the train line at t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends