“Happy Camper”
Review of Pulteney House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
Pulteney House
Ranked #22 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach, VA USA
“Happy Camper”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I made this reservation with trepidation because of some of the reviews, but I needn't have worried. Everything was flawless. Check-in was a breeze. Although there isn't much parking, there aren't many drivers, so that was fine. It's located closer than I thought to everything, so walking was also not a problem. The bed was comfortable. The water pressure and temperature were good. I liked that the place had character and was done in the old style. The room and bathroom were larger than most places I've stayed (they even had a desk so I could sit down!). I was in the basement, but had no problem picking up wi-fi in my room. Breakfast was hot, quick, plentiful and fresh. I am not sure what else anyone would ask for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Girlie weekend away in Bath, couldnt have asked for a better place to base ourselves. Room was immaculate, spacious and well decorated. Staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was to die for!! We will definately be going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

On arrival we had to wait to be seen and let in by another guest! Although owner was very helpful we were surprised to be led outside to the annex and were told that although we could use their computer wifi was only available in the main house. Sound proofing was not great and you could hear the man below coughing and we were conscious of the squeaky floor in our en suite. The bedroom and en suite was clean and spacious but could do with updating. The towels seemed so thin and old. Breakfast was a big let down. Not the quality of food but by being rushed to order off the menu but we didn't even have time for our cereals. I had to lift my bowl off the mat as my breakfast was brought in so quick and finish my cereals holding my bowl. The staff seemed too eager to please which came across as false. Unfortunately I would not recommend this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Illinois, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Room was clean and comfortable, bathroom clean and roomy. The proprietor was fun, full of history, and helpful about where to go and how to get there. The breakfast was awesome and the ladies working the breakfast room and housecleaning were well above average. We recommend this Bed and Breakfast!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights in a very attractively decorated single room with a comfortable bed and a large, separate bathroom. Staff were very friendly and everything was clean and well presented. The freshly cooked breakfasts were far better than I often get in 4 star hotels where everything is pre-cooked and kept warm - the light and buttery scrambled egg was wonderful!
Although the hotel is close to a main road and train line, effective secondary glazing ensured that my room was quiet and I slept well. The separate bathroom was not ideal but, considering the price and the fact that it is only a 10 minute walk to the centre of Bath, I was very happy and would stay there any time I visited the city.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Grimble_cornet
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We have just returned from Bath having stayed in Pulteney Hotel Overall this was a superb place to stay its location could not be better as its only 8 to 10 minutes walk from city centre. The owners were helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious and beds extremely comfortable and we had great sleeps each nignt. Even though our room was at the front of the house and the hotel is on a busy street we did not hear any of the traffic.The room was well furnished and very clean.Tea and coffee facilities were in the room and this was well stocked with very nice biscuits supplied each day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The location is great! Only a short walk to town and super close to the swimming pools and criket ground.
The room was good, three star is a good rating for the room. It was clean and comfortable. The shower pressure was weak so not easy to wash long hair. Also, when people were moving around upstairs it was very noisy.
The service...well...not great. When we first arrived we rang the bell three times and knocked loudly with no response. Finally someone came to the door she said she had been out the back so couldn't hear the bell - maybe they need a portable bell? At breakfast time we were pretty much ignored both mornings; other tables were seated, asked for their order and fed before we were even asked for our order. On the second morning, we left our room key on a table while we got some juice and when we went back to the table the staff had seated someone else there and moved our key! We did feel a bit invisable during breakfast. On the bright side I liked the music they were playing which I hummed along to to drown the noise of my rumbling tummy. When we checked out in the morning we asked if we could leave our bag there as our train didn't leave until the early evening. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us do this as it was mother's day and both owners would be out, at the same time...luckily the people at the swimming pool around the corner we super helpful and let us leave our bag in the office there, for free! They suggested the pools but said we might have to pay for a swim. They did not offer to phone anyone to ask where we could leave our bags. I asked if there were lockers at the train station to be told that they were taken out due to IRA bombings (wasn't this decades ago?) and that finding somewhere to leave bags is a problem in Bath. I'm not sure why they haven't made any effort to find somewhere for bag storage since they have clearly known about the problem for decades. I recommend that if you stay here and need to leave your bag, ask before you book. I never thought to ask prior to booking as I have NEVER had a problem before, anywhere in the world. I think this is being run as a B&B not a hotel so beware.
To top things off it was my birthday so this was not the best way to start the day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends