“Love this venue”

Komedia Bath
Ranked #3 of 13 Concerts & Shows in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Komedia Bath operates in the beautiful former Beau Nash picture house, a grade one listed building on Westgate Street. Since opening in 2008 it has become an important element of the arts quarter in Bath and presents a large and diverse programme focused on comedy and music, and extending to cabaret, spoken word and kids events. Cornerstones of the programme include the all conquering Saturday night Krater Comedy Club, and the bi-monthly Ministry of Burlesque’s Twisted Cabaret. The venue has become a feature on the comedy touring circuit, hosting acts such as Russell Howard, Ross Noble, Jenny Eclair, The Boy With Tape on His Face and many others. Music shows have constantly increased in profile since opening with a wide range of genres attracted to the Komedia Bath including The Feeling, Kate Nash, Ronnie Size, Lulu, The Levellers, Ash, Bellowhead, Clare Teal, Candi Staton, Noah and the Whale, Dry the River, Fink, Frank Turner and Chase & Status.The venue boasts a 615 standing capacity and a 427 cabaret seated capacity which includes a balcony seating 173 people. Komedia Bath also operates a daytime Arts Cafe, offering the only menus in Bath that are accredited to the Soil Association Gold Standard. The Arts Cafe is host to VIP customers at the weekend and on weeknights often operates as a studio venue, with the regular Komedia open mic nights for aspiring performers. The project to develop the Beau Nash to host Komedia Bath won The Building Excellence Award for The Best Renovation of a Listed Building in the UK. Since opening the Komedia Bath has also won The Chortle Award for Best Venue in the West of England five times, cementing the venues position at the top tier of venues in the UK.
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Komedia for a variety of things including burlesque and live music.
The staff are all very friendly and want to ensure you have a good time.
I went to see Stiff Little Fingers with my dad a few years ago and it was incredible. The venue is big enough to feel like a concert but small enough to feel very intimate. The sound system is incredible and I thoroughly enjoyed myself that night.
More recently I went to see the burlesque show in July and very much enjoyed myself. The girls who performed we fantastic and their routines were flawless. The lighting that accompanied them was good and enhanced the experience.
The compare was a little hit and miss but he consistently received laughs, even if the jokes were a little cringe worthy sometimes!
I was surprised by the way the audience got into the feel of the night with a large proportion of the ladies dressed in corsets and the like. I was very pleased to see this and the next time I go I shall be doing the same.
Can't wait to go back to Komedia another time for another great experience.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I visited on the last occasion as a work lunch. We pre-ordered our food as we only had 1 hour. The service was very good. Our food was served within 15 minutes and was absolutely delicious. Lots of choice on the menu and prices very reasonable. We will definitely be going back.

I have also visited Komedia Bath twice before this. Once for Burlesque High Tease, which was excellent and also for a work party, where the food was excellent.

Would recommend

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stopped for lunch at Komedia and ordered a bowl of soup each. It took about 15- 20 minutes to arrive (they weren't particularly busy). The soup was delicious but the service was a bit so-so. The staff were nice enough but there didn't seem to be one person who was in charge / knew what they were doing. It took a while for the table to be laid properly and we had to ask for serviettes. I don't usually write negative reviews but this irked because a) it wasn't cheap and b) it wasn't busy. The food was excellent and it's a shame it's let down by the very casual approach of some of the staff.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Last night, my 19 year-old grand daughter visited Komedia in Bath, and at some point during the evening, she started to climb up onto a dais-type area before realising that this was out of bounds to the public.

As she was climbing back down, a bouncer (probably employed through an agency, but if Komedia want to comment about this, let's hear what they have to say) grabbed her from behind without a word and threw her to the floor where she landed flat on her back.

At no point did he ask her to to come back down verbally, he just laid in against a young woman with all his considerable force. When my grand daughter's boyfriend saw what happened, he was horrified and went over to see what had happened, and if she was hurt.

The bouncer implied he should mind his own business and leave him alone.

Bath is becoming polluted with badly trained and badly behaved bouncers, and I am surprised that a chain like Komedia allows them on the premises. I thought that Komedia was a comedy club? Where's the joke in employing brutes in what is usually a peaceful and fun-loving establishment?

3  Thank Tom S
KomediaBath, Manager at Komedia Bath, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Komedia Bath does take the safety of our customers very seriously and we are very surprised and disappointed to read this review on trip advisor. Given the seriousness of the complaint it would seem the most sensible course of action would have been to contact the venue directly regarding any incident. We would invite your granddaughter to do this now.

I have now spoken to the security and venue staff who were working on Saturday night and an incident did take place, which involved two girls being verbally asked to come off stage during an event. They chose to jump off and fell in so doing. At no point did the security touch your granddaughter. There were witness’s to the incident who can confirm this. The main risk to our customers being on stage is that they can fall off. This risk is obviously higher when customers have enjoyed a drink. The incident concluded with your granddaughter’s friends apologising for their behaviour and the aggressive nature of one of their party towards the security staff. Our security team are part of a reputable company that we have been working with for the last 2 years,. We do not employ agency staff. Our door staff are experienced, well trained and polite. We take extreme pride in ensuring we give the best possible service, which includes ensuring that we have excellent door staff to keep our customers safe.

Komedia has consistently won the Chortle Award for Best Comedy Venue in the West and Wales, but this is part of the wide offer of entertainment that spans all types of music events to cabaret, theatre, kids events and film in partnership with The Little Cinema. Every Saturday the Krater Comedy Club is followed by Motorcity, a Motown night that is hugely popular with our comedy customers and, unlike nightclubs, has a regular Bath audience across all the age ranges.

As previously mentioned please ask your granddaughter to contact us directly at infobath@komedia.co.uk if she wishes to make a formal complaint.

Komedia Bath

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stopped at Komedia for an impromptu lunch this week and were pleased we did. We knew the cafe when it was River Cottage - and wondered how it would have fared since the change of hands.We were thrilled. The food was fresh and lovely, with generous helpings and a good variety to tempt from the menu. Our server was freindly and prompt and Komedia served us a fabulous lunch that will certainly return for, next time we are in lovely Bath. Thank you.