1,429 results
All reviewstrain stationcream teawowcher dealtravelling by trainbath spa railway stationground coffeebreakfast and dinnersuperior roommanvers streetspa breakroman bathsbiscuitsrestaurant staffexcellent locationlovely hoteleggs benedictenjoyable stay
Reviewed September 18, 2017

Chose the two course set menu. Really poor value for money. Half size portions really,making the meal actually over priced, especially as the food was poor, nothing special and not that hot. My starter was cold and I was asked if I wanted a replacement!!!!!. No I'm just going to sit here and watch my friends eat theirs! What came out wasn't much better. All of us remained hungry so had dessert which was slightly better value and quality. Absolute rip off.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
5  Thank patbodur
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

I was disappointed to read this review and wish to respond to the critical points which you have raised.

Having spoken to the manager who was on duty that evening he especially recalls your party of 6 as you were disappointed to find that as you wished to use your gourmet card you would, in accordance with the conditions of the card, need to order from the a la carte menu to enable you to receive the 25% discount. We understand that having checked with the Gourmet Card this policy is clearly communicated to all Gourmet Card members.

My understanding is that you were therefore upset that you could not order from the fixed price menu which is already a heavy discounted offer.

Turning to the food I do not accept that this menu offers poor value for money as it offers 4 starters, including dishes such as Chicken and fresh mango and Salad nicoise, four main courses which includes Beef bourguignon and Navarin of lamb with any two courses costing only £10.95. In addition, you are offered a choice of 8 homemade desserts for our a la carte menu which are priced at £4.95 for only £2 extra. I therefore consider that this menu does represent excellent value for money.

Your only adverse comment about the quality of the food was that your starter was cold and I understand that this was immediately replaced with a freshly cooked dish which to quote our manager was “piping hot”.

I very much regret that you did not enjoy your meal but do not accept that it was either poor quality of offered bad value for money.

Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

We visited here for drinks after a day shopping in Bath. We ordered two cocktails from the waitress and the photo shows what they arrived looking like! The smaller one was apparently a strawberry daquiri ! Never seen one served like this before ! It was very strong and my friend had to ask for something to dilute it . The bar staff member said it was a new cocktail menu and she had thought it strange it wasn't diluted as she made it . £7 each .

5  Thank Reality123
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

I was very embarrassed to read your TripAdvisor review as the blame is firmly in my court. As General Manager all bar staff were trained on the new cocktail list with the exception of two part timers and that was a complete oversight on my part.

Not only were you served the wrong ingredient mix but also in the wrong glass.

Please accept my sincere apologies and the next time you are in Bath please ask for me and I will ensure that you have two cocktails with my compliments.

Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

Spent one night in this lovely Hotel.
Friendly staff, fantastic dinner and breakfast. Bedroom fine, well stocked tea and coffee tray. Will be back in a couple of months for a longer stay. Very close to Railway Station.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

Thank you for your review and for awarding us 5 stars.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

I enjoyed my stay overall and the staff were exceptional - very friendly and down to earth. Breakfast was also fantastic and the bar area is welcoming and comforting. I was a little disappointed int he room itself however. While it looked perfectly lovely and was spotlessly clean, it was very very small, with no frills - it felt very basic and a little as though I was in a dorm room. While having a small room isn't necessarily a bad thing, from the pictures I saw on the booking site I was expecting a bit more then we got. I was expecting a four poster bed but just something a little more special than the room we were in - I didn't feel the room tariff was fair overall taking this into consideration. Our room was right next to the lift/ top of the stairs as well so there was considerable noise with people coming onto the floor. However the hotel is lovely and I would like to thank the staff for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts/ stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjmcalpine
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for your review and for your complimentary comments in particular regarding our staff and award winning breakfast.

However, I was concerned to learn of your disappointment regarding your room and in particular its size. The Royal Hotel is a Grade II listed building, built in 1846 and the bedrooms are all different sizes and individually decorated. I was surprised to read that you felt that it was very basic with “no frills” as our rooms have an extensive hospitality tray which includes complimentary quality teas, freshly ground coffee with cafetiere, hot chocolate, biscuits and mineral water. Also all rooms have a trouser press and hair dryer together with a flat screen TV with DVD player.

I am pleased to note that overall you thought the hotel was lovely and we do hope to welcome you back on a future occasion when I would suggest that you ask if we have any larger rooms available.

Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

A lovely greeting on arrival followed by a delicious 3 course meal was welcome after a long day. The rooms were spotless, comphy and the staff were delightful. Our breackfast was fresh, tasty with plenty of choice. I can highly recomend this hotel and we will be back again.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2017

Thank you for your review and for awarding us 5 stars.