“Enjoyable stay at the Royal Hotel Bath”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I have just returned from a weekend away in Bath and I must say apart from the poor weather we had a most enjoyable weekend staying at the Royal Hotel. The staff were all friendly and were helpful when we were asking advice on where to go, the room was nicely decorated, comfortable and most importantly impeccably clean and breakfast served in the morning was delicious. A great city centre location we shall be visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed July 12, 2009

Stayed here for two nights from 6th July 2009. When checking in staff were helpful and friendly . Although we were there at 2 oclock and check-in was not until 2-30 pm guy on reception went up to check if our room was ready. It was and we were very happy with general appearance of room which was clean and bright. There were tea/coffee making facilities with a good selection topped up daily. Evening meal was a little disappointing- good service but rump of lamb very tough, and chicken overcooked.As menu is limited I think a lighter touch could improve things quite easily as portions and decor were fine. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection, as good as I have seen anywhere. From our experience I do think some reviews are harsh .

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I travel quite abit on business so have seen several hotels during my time. After reading other reviews i will keep it short and sweet.
The rooms were not what I expected - rather dated and like other reviewers are in need of a good clean.
The lady on reeception was welcoming enough, although the older lady when I checked out was rather abrupt and not very friendly.
The meal was disappointing and would recommend to eat in a resturant in Bath - there are plenty out there for better value.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank dmxtraveller
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I don't usually write reviews but was so disgusted by the state of the room I thought I should warn anyone intending to stay. I dont know where the last couple of people who have written a review stayed but it wasnt the same place as we stayed!

We found the room dirty, hair in the sink and toilet not cleaned, we did let the young man on reception know in the morning, and was reassured it would be clean - on our return it was as we left it - nothing had been cleaned. The room was expensive for what you get.

We travel to Bath regulary to visit our daughter and stayed in several hotels in Bath - The Royal is not one we will recommend or return to - there are better hotels in Bath with better service and clean!!
The meal in the evening was overpriced and overcooked - tough steak and soggy veg.

Breakfast on Sunday morning - what a total shambles - not enough staff, yoghurts had gone off, the wait for cooked breakfast was ridiculous and then they got it wrong, the manager didnt have a clue - rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol567
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Having had lunch at The Royal Hotel in March with girlfriends, we decided to return for a weekend get-together. I have just returned home today after a wonderful 2 night stay. I travelled by train and only had to cross the road from Bath Spa station to the main entrance of the hotel. We had comfortable rooms with the usual array of complimentary toiletries and teas/coffees etc. At dinner on the first night we were spoilt for choice. Each course from the a la carte menu arrived beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. There was also a very impressive wine selection to accompany our meal. In the morning there was an equally wide choice of cooked breakfasts in addition to the usual self service buffet of cereals, fruit, pastries and yoghurts. Our breakfast kept us well sustained whilst we 'shopped till we dropped', and then we returned to a delicious cream tea served in the bright and airy, recently refurbished bar area. The staff were all polite, helpful and attentive, without being intrusive. The General Manager of the hotel has a happy and hard working team of staff who are committed to ensuring that guests have an enjoyable stay. I will be very happy to return to The Royal Hotel on a future occasion.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We booked a break in Bath at The Royal, which was recommended by friends, and on looking at Trip Advisor were understandably concerned at some of the negative comments. However, following our stay we feel it is only fair to say how much we enjoyed out stay. The staff were welcoming and friendly throughout. The room was very clean and offered many nice "touches" which you normally only receive in 4 star hotels. The choice at breakfast was extremely good and the food in the evening was excellent. The location was ideal, being in walking distance of all of Bath's attractions. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would certainly return to The Royal.

DM
Kent

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Having stayed at the Royal recently for a girls weekend away I wanted to make sure I recommended it to others planning a trip to Bath as we had such a wonderful time. I am really surprised to read the negative reviews as I have nothing but compliments to give both the hotel and its staff.
The location is so convenient,especially if you are travelling by train.Easy to nip in and out of the town centre with shopping bags! The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was amazing. We had the dinner,bed and breakfast deal. All my food was cooked to perfection and I especially enjoyed the Tuna nicoise and the creme brulee. Breakfast was a feast with a choice of pastries,fresh fruit,yoghurts,actimel drinks,any sort of tea imaginable,and a large selection of cooked breakfasts. I would recommend eggs benedict!
I will dfinitely be returning to the Royal when I can think of another excuse to need to go to Bath.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends