“The Royal has it all”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Whangarei, NZ
“The Royal has it all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Royal Hotel is very conveniently situated directly opposite the station and within easy walking distance of the central city attractions. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well-stocked with beverages. The restaurant had very tasty food and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the ambience of an historic and elegant hotel, which was very much in keeping with the city itself. We would rather have liked to stay longer.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have recently had a very pleasurable 2 night stay at "The Royal". The Manager & staff work very hard & succeed in creating a friendly atmosphere throughout. The restaurant produces good, well-presented food..... and the tea.... is made with traditional loose tea-leaves..... although if your preference is for strong tea, make it known.
A very well-run, period hotel, well placed for all amenities. Excellent for visitors arriving by train, as car-parking is very limited.
Will we stay at "The Royal" again?.... a resounding YES!!
Ralph & Marie.

Room Tip: Ask questions and state preferences at time of booking,as all rooms have their own individual charac...
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked a Spa break in Bath with The Royal. Our room was lovely and the staff very friendly.
Our Spa towels and slippers were ready for us and our room was ready early. The facilities in our room were excellent, large shower room and tea and coffee included a cafetiere and `real` coffee, nice and warm and elegantly furnished, creaky floorboards but they added to the charm.
We used the stairs because I`m not good with lifts and it was small.
Breakfast was good and plenty of choice freshly cooked.(and leaf tea, wow) We didn't eat in the hotel but would do on our next visit, the bar had real ale!

1 Thank linda b
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

On planning a weekend in Bath, we looked at a number of places, but chose the Royal hotel because of Tripadvisor reviews and also because of the location which is close to the train/bus station and the city centre.

We were paying £145/night for our rooms, so had fairly high expectations. We checked in and got a small room, albeit with nice toiletries, quite a good hot drinks selection, free WiFi and a complementary bottle of water.

We had a terrible night's sleep due to the small size of the double bed. I am 6ft tall and found my feet kept poking out of the end of the bed.

We asked for our rooms to be changed and the staff were eventually accommodating. We got moved to a larger room that had two single beds joined together to make a double. This gave us a little more room, but still was less comfortable than I was used to.

Some research afterwards revealed that standard English double bed mattress sizes are shorter than standard European sizes. I guess I have been lucky in my previous stays in British hotels. (mainly in international chains)

If I'd paid half the price I did for this hotel I would have been satisfied, however I felt slightly ripped off after paying a premium price. However, Bath does have a reputation of being an expensive city, so it may well be that my expectations should have been lower for this trip.

PatronHandR, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
As one of the director’s of The Royal I wish to respond to this review which our guest kindly took the trouble to post.

I am pleased that we were able to offer this guest a larger room once he brought the issue of the bed being too small to our attention.

I am also grateful to our guest for highlighting the quality of the “extras” which we provide in all of our rooms.

With regards to the rate of £145, this is the rate for Friday and Saturday nights and is probably at the lower end of rates charged at weekends in most hotels in Bath. However, our guests I am pleased to say on this occasion took advantage of our half price Sunday offer when it is “bolted on” to a weekend reservation which means the average rate for the three nights worked out at £121.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Hotel is opposite Bath Spa railway station so very convenient if, like us, you are travelling to Bath by train. The hotel has a really nice atmosphere, feels vaguely old fashioned in a very nice way. The cooked breakfast is good and there is also a continental buffet which has some lovely pastries. The staff were very nice and friendly. The room we had was on the second floor and it was fairly small, I have to say we were disappointed in the room. The one thing that my partner disliked was that there wasn't a proper wardrobe, just a cupboard with a hanging rail and lots of old pipework But having said that we really enjoyed our three night stay and we would stay again only next time we will book a larger room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PatronHandR, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013

I regret that they were disappointed with the size of the room but as one can imagine with a property which was built in 1846 our rooms do vary in size with some very large ones which tend to be classified as our superior or family rooms.

With regards to the wardrobe, although our guest has described it as not being “proper” it is in fact a custom built spacious wardrobe with a door as opposed to a “cupboard” as described in this review. The only “pipework” is a small piece of pipe which has remained since moving a radiator which was formerly positioned in this part of the room until we constructed the wardrobe. However, I am pleased that the guest highlighted that this pipe is still there and I have given instructions for it to be removed as it is no longer serves any purpose.

Last but not least I am delighted that our guests enjoyed their three day stay and will be returning, hopefully soon, and when doing so that they please request one of the larger rooms.

Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on Tuesday 22nd October, this was our first time at the hotel and Bath. We booked the hotel after looking at trip advisor and Spa website.

We stayed in room 201.

Bad points
Hotel was too hot, I know this sounds silly but it was like a sauna. I had to open the 2 windows in our room, still couldn't cool the room down.

The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, which meant I had a rubbish night sleep, it was a rubbish mattress.

Also, I hate on bed there's throws and old wooly blankets with sheets, I much prefer a duvet.

There was no plugs for bath or sink.

Good points

Very friendly and helpful staff, so sweet and caring.

Excellent clean room

Amazing breakfast

Great location

Overall, I would stay again, it's reasonable priced too.

Room Tip: Read above
1 Thank SnorlaxandNibbles
PatronHandR, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
As one of the director’s of the company that owns the Royal Hotel I wish to respond to this particular review.

I am unable to explain as to why the guests felt the hotel was too hot unless it was due to the particularly mild autumn which we have enjoyed to date and the fact that the heating had been turned on too soon. However, guests are able to individually adjust the radiators in the bedrooms by simply turning the thermostat down.

We are sorry that this guest found the mattress uncomfortable and we do realise that choice of mattress is very much a personal one, some guest likes them soft, some hard, some in between.

We purchase a high quality hotel medium weight mattress from one of the country’s top mattress suppliers to the hotel industry and since receiving this review we have checked the mattress in room 201 and discover from our records that it is less than 2 years old and it is in good condition. Again choice of duvet versus sheets and blankets is a personal one but we do only use Egyptian cotton sheets and Merino wool blankets.

With respect to the guests there is a plug in the bath as it is housed in the bath itself as opposed to being on a chain and there was also a plug for the sink.

I am pleased that the guest enjoyed the other aspects of their stay and we look forward to welcoming them back on another occasion.

Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

No different I guess from all Bath hotels but not great value for money. Room ok, quite comfortable and well equipped. Welcome at reception good although advice on car parking differed from advice received by telephone a few days earlier! Bar food good fine as was breakfast although we had to wait a long time for our order to be taken with the usual explanation of being very busy (always frustrating as customers don't pay a lower rate at busy times to reflect reduced levels of service). Great location though so close to the town centre especially if travelling by train.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family