“A great weekend in Bath” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Royal Hotel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Devon
“A great weekend in Bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2008

Having read some of the reviews I was somewhat sceptical about staying at the Royal, however after staying there for two nights I do not have any negative comments. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed with a very nice en-suite, I do agree that the rooms opposite the station were noisy, in the main I think this was due to a lot of passing traffic (taxis) and also late night revellers returning home but I think this is expected in a town centre and of course Bath is a major tourist atraction. It was quite warm on the top floor, however if you kept the windows closed and the secondary double glazing shut there was little noise and the oscillating fan provided kept the room cool.

We did dine in the restaurant and I could not fault the food in any way at all, in fact on our table of 12 people every single person agreed that the food was well presented, served piping hot and was of a very good standard, in fact it was delicious - also very good value at £17.50 for three courses. The restaurant staff were both friendly and efficient and the bar was also comfortable and well kept. The hotel locked the doors at 11 pm and the bar was then for residents only.

We could not find any fault with the breakfast, there was a very good choice and it was all served hot and was of a good standard.

All in all the hotel was very good value and was only a short walk from the town centre, we would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Liked — Well located, friendly hotel with efficient staff
  • Disliked — It was noisy outside at night however I did expect this in a town centre and near the railway
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kazzi_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Cranleigh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

My wife has for years has wanted to visit Bath. At last we arranged a weekend away, Bath was great but sadly the Royal Hotel was an enormous disappointment.

We upgraded to a four poster room which may have been a mistake although the upgrade was at no extra charge.It was a warm weekend but not a heatwave. The room was hot and airless and there was no air-conditioning. In order to get any air into the room we were forced to open the windows. The first night we suffered in silence but the second night we requested, and got, a fan although still we had to sleep with the windows wide open. What we did not know that this hotel is a) less that 50 yards from the main railway station, b) immediately next door to a pub and c) 100yards away from a hostel for the homeless. What we were also unaware of is that Bath seems to be something of a magent for "Stag" and "Hen" parties. The least disturbing of these was the train noise which was almost non existent. What was disturbing was the noise of drunks at 3.00 sitting outside the station awaiting the early train having missed the last train home the previous evening and putting the world to rights at the tops of their voices. The walk up Manvers street into Bath was a gauntlet run past various members of the local wine society littered over the steps outside the hostel. Admittedly they di not barrack us as we passed by but my wife found them rather intimidating and insisted that we cross the street to avoid them.
Te restaurant was a disaster. To quote from the letter I wrote to the hotel following our visit; "The standard of food in the restaurant was well below that we had been led to believe would be the case from your brochure and web-site. We had booked for dinner both nights; however, after our Friday night experience we felt it would be more enjoyable to eat elsewhere on Saturday. On the Friday night the ‘amuse bouche’ that was offered to us consisted of a ‘bought in’ pastry case filled with a mixture of what I think was a mayonnaise and vegetable mixture that must have come straight from a tin. I ordered the local pan fried field mushrooms as a starter. They arrived leathery and covered in what appeared to be a melted slice of processed cheese. This was followed by the honey glazed breast of duck which was rather overcooked and very far from tender. You claim to have something of a reputation for your steaks. Perhaps we should have chosen from these however neither my wife nor myself a particular fans of steak so this was not really an option.

Breakfast from my point of view was rather less than appetising on both occasions. The first morning I had your full English breakfast which arrived luke warm having, quite clearly, been kept hot under lights rather than being cooked to order. Nor was I offered the choice of how I wished my accompanying egg to be cooked. It arrived looking rather small and greasy having been liberally doused with oil whilst frying. The following morning I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg. Here again the egg arrived quite clearly having been cooked some time previously, kept warm under lights and surrounding by a liberal amount of liquid. I know you do not claim to be a Michelin starred restaurant but the food we were served fell well below what I feel could be considered a satisfactory standard in any hostelry."

In short, I could not possibly recommend this hotel to anyone. We were charged £180 per night for our weekend stay. This was exorbitant.

I am currently awaiting a response to my letter of complaint.

On a positive note however we ate on the Saturday night in Martini Restaurant in George Street. here we had excellent Italian food, hot and well cooked and with first class service despite it being very busy. it was not expensive and my wife and I felt it represented excelletnvalue for money

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TimRCranleigh
north east
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

Having read the "disappointed" reviews after booking the hotel we were a little wary.
However, our fears were completely unfounded; the hotel was comfortable, the staff very welcoming and friendly, there was never a noise problem.
The choice at breakfast was wonderful; much better than most hotels I've stayed in and the cooked options were well-prepared using good quality ingredients.
The hotel is perfectly situated within easy walking distance of the city centre.
All-in-all we were very pleased with our choice of hotel and will be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Oxford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

I have debated whether or not to post a negative review as it's not something I have ever done before but I was so disappointed by my experience here that I felt I should.
I visited Bath for the first time last year and decided to stay at The Royal based on its star rating and website. It looked like it was in a good location and would be comfortable and welcoming. The service I received over the phone was good so it all seemed rather promising.
When I got there however, I was hugely disappointed. I had booked a single room and for the price was expecting something much more inviting than what I received which was a sloping box room, I wasn't allowed to open the windows and I just didn't feel secure. It was constantly noisy and I was very unhappy. Later that evening I requested to be upgraded - I was willing to pay any extra costs- but the staff were extremely unhelpful and I was told that there was nothing available. So I took them at their word and had a very disturbed night's sleep.
At breakfast the next morning (which was as unimpressive as the room - the service was cold and unfriendly) the restaurant seemed empty for a supposedly full hotel, so I got someone to call and make a room enquiry. Surprise, surprise there had been other rooms available despite what I had been told so I requested a move again, this time they had to accommodate me and I was subsequently moved to a bigger and slightly more comfortable room but I was made to feel very uncomfortable about the whole thing even though I was paying for the upgrade. The next morning, the breakfast was worse than the day before, I had a poached egg with half a shell still on the plate when I tried to ask for a replacement I was ignored and then it was taken away before I was finished.
I was too disheartened at the time to complain but the whole experience left me feeling very upset and ruined what was otherwise a very pleasant holiday.

I shall not be returning to the Royal and would not reccommend it to anybody else either. I think that there are other places in Bath which offer much better value for money and understand the principal of good customer service.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank OxfordBlueEyes
Essex England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

Let me start by saying I am not a complainer and fortunately have never felt the need to place a negative entry onto Trip Advisor

We have just returned from a 'two night special spa break 'at this hotel and were very disappointed with the whole experience. I spent some time on the phone with a receptionist prior to booking, she was very friendly and helpful and she recommended I upgrade to a "Superior" room as she could not guarantee the normal rooms would be up to my requirements as I was looking for somewhere special to take my husband to celebrate a special birthday.
The "Superior" room was very noisy with constant rattling of pipes , creaking of floorboards in the corridors and the noise of a door slamming down below which we later realised was the service door between the restaurant and the kitchen. This banging reverberated up through the room until late at night and early in the morning.
I reported this to the General Manager and she was not even prepared to come and listen. I asked to check out as we did not want to spend another night here . She insisted I would have to pay the whole price of £400.00 but would deduct £10.00 each off our bill for that evening's meal and also the price of the room may be refunded should she let it but could not predict if she would as there was not a rugby match that day. I said that I was happy to pay for what we had had but wanted to check out . She replied that as she had my credit card details she would just take the whole amount of £400 anyway. I got upset at this point and said I was so disappointed as I had wanted my husband to have a special time on his birthday , she then grudgingly offered me another room which we took as it seemed better than the room we had occupied initially and we found that this was indeed the case, the room was smaller but at least quiet.
The problem really was her attitude and unwillingness to accept that there was a genuine problem. I asked if she had heard of Trip Advisor and she replied that I would not be allowed to put my comments on it.
My husband is a qualified surveyor and immediately recognised that the constant banging of the service door could be rectified by adjusting the door closer to prevent the door from slamming agaist the door stop. Better still to install double hinges to allow the door to swing both ways unimpeded. The General Manager was unwilling to listen to what was a genuine complaint. and a desire to help.

With regard to the menu . We were only allowed to have food on the menu indicated by an asterisk . This was not mentioned when I booked ,although I was sent a sample , As the hotel claimed it served the best steaks in town we wanted to try one but found we were only allowed the rump steak ( the cheapest) as part of our £200 a night package and not the Fillet, T bone, or Sirloin therefore as we had fillet we incurred an extra charge of £30.00. Both of these were burnt despite us requesting one medium rare and one medium. They also tasted very stringy and tough. the rest of the meal was fine though, if uninspired. The scrambled egg my husband had for breakfast was very poor
The refurbished bar was modern and attractive but the actual retaurant was time warped with peeling damp stained wallpaper where we sat ,as far away from the banging service door as we could.
All the restaurant staff were competent and friendly. Also both of the receptionists we met were very helpful.
Every cloud has a silver lining though and by choosing to eat elsewhere on Saturday night we had a fantastic meal at Tilleys Bistro and then we felt we could start to celebrate!
To summarise, this break at this old fashioned red drayloned hotel was a very expensive mistake but one we shall learn from!

Stayed February 2008