“Great place, opposite station”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Bath
“Great place, opposite station”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Lovely Georgian Hotel, designed by Brunel, good breakfast with lots of variety, excellent service, nice en suite, limited parking, book in advance-small extra charge. Room 101 a little noisy, but it was hot so we had the double glazing open.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Annie_Wolston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Princes Risborough, Bucks
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Spent last night at the Royal Hotel and felt compelled to write a review as we had such a great experience. Spent a considerable amount of time comparing numerous hotels in Bath that were within our budget and are pleased we made the correct choice in selecting The Royal.

We parked at the Bath Spa train station car park which is only a 2minute walk from the hotel and very reasonable at £6.90 for 24 hours. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. We found our room to be very clean and spacious with everything (and more) that you would expect from a 3 star hotel. We were particularly impressed with the complimentary bottle of mineral water, ihome docking station (nice touch) and ample supplies of complimentary hot drinks.

The hotel is very conveniently located in close proximity to the train station, Southgate shopping complex and the city centre. The only drawback of this is that during the night you could experience quite a bit of noise from outside but this can only be expected for a hotel in a city and did not stop us having a normal night’s sleep.

The breakfast was above our expectations for the price and rating of this hotel. We chose to have the cooked breakfast which was very tasty and set us up well for a day of exploring Bath. The staff in the dining room were very friendly and attentive.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. If you are like us spending time deliberating over where to stay then don't waste your time just go ahead and book this, you won't regret it.

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent last night at The Royal with my husband and young daughter, the triple room we had was perfect for us, the beds were very comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean. We ate at the hotel in the evening and the food was fantastic, great selection, cooked and presented really well. The breakfast was fantastic and a great choice. All the staff I dealt with, were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. We had a very pleasant time. This was a spur-of-the-moment trip for us and we loved what we saw of Bath. We will go back and wouldn't hesitate to book The Royal again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Senmcc
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here two nights in a twin room. Directly across from the train station. Beds were both singles, which I'm not used to in a twin room, but that was fine. Room on the small side, but for what we paid for that was fine. The included breakfast was only okay (steer clear of the Eggs Benedict) but a good start to the day. The hotel advertises free wifi, but in our second floor room our devices dropped the signal 90% of the time and we needed to visit the bar in order to log in reliably. We stayed here as it was the best value for money deal we could get, and it definitely delivered on that, just don't look for any wow factor.

• Stayed August 2012
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. Before we introduced Eggs Benedict, Scrambled egg with smoked
salmon was very popular after the Traditional English Breakfast. However now that we offer Eggs
Benedict, that has changed. We serve more Eggs Benedict than any other dish on offer and I am
very disappointed that you did not enjoy yours.
We must have done something wrong because yours is the first adverse comment we have had
on this dish.
Please accept my sincere apologies and hopefully you will give us another try on your next visit to
Bath.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My partner and I have returned from a weekend in the beautiful city of Bath with the only disappointment being this hotel. I booked after reading the reviews and I can only assume that we were given the worst room or the majority of the other reviewers have low standards.

- Reception upon arrival was ok although I was struggling with a few items of luggage and the gentleman behind the desk did not offer to assist me (I couldn't expect the girl to as she was heavily pregnant). Car parking is not included so my partner was off parking at the cost of around £10

- We had a room on the second floor and after my ascent up in the smallest lift in the world, the doors opened to what can only be descrbed as extremely tired decor. I was hoping that this would not be a reflection of the room but it was.

- Upon entering the room I was not impressed by the facilities provided (although the bed did prove to be comfortable). A standard selection of tea and coffee with a kettle circa 1960. Carpets were frayed and some paper was peeling on the ceiling with what looked to be damp in places. The hotel claim that it has recently been refurbished to keep in with a certain period but there are no real signs of refurbishment. The bathroom was adequate with some nice little shoe shine and sewing kits provided. Windows were opened immediately as the room was so stuffy. Ipod dock provided which was a bonus given the din from outside.

- My partner and I had a lovely stroll around Bath and went for a fantastic meal at Jamie Oliver's place and then a few drinks afterwards. I didn't notice as much noise during the night but then i had indulged in a fair few alcoholic beverages and was dead to the world. The next morning however was a different story...The gulls started with their dawn chorus which is what stirred me from my slumber, I drifted back to sleep to be woken again by the general hub-bub of traffic, people chattering, kids screeching excitedly etc but what really grated on my nerves was the beeping of the pedestrian crossing every minute or two. I appreciate that the hotel is in the centre of town but this was ridiculous.

Unfortunately we could not bring ourselves to attend breakfast but then, given the over-inflated views of this hotel I'm quite certain that we would have been disappointed.

- On checkout I was not asked how our stay was and found the whole experience very impersonal. There is a reason that this hotel is amongst one of the cheapest for it's location.

We will be returning to Bath but staying elsewhere

7 Thank Jasminx
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest
I am sorry you left with such a poor impression of The Royal Hotel. The receptionist who checked you in had told her colleague that you were waiting for your patner, hence the reason he did not
offer assistance.The lift is exactly the same size as the Ritz in London and obviously they have
a number of lifts given their size in comparison to The Royal.
I have checked the bedroom thoroughly and cannot find the paper defects you described. It is possible that the light bulbs in the bedroom may have cast a shadow which caused you to believe
there was a damp patch.The hotel has been totally refurbished over the last three and a half years
with new carpets, beds, bathrooms etc. Our maintenance team are constantly checking and putting
right any defects. We offer limited car parking facilities and we always direct guests to the best value car parking sites when our spaces are full. I believe we are one of only 3 hotels in Bath that
offer a selection of high quality teas, coffees, drinking chocolate , biscuits and fresh ground cafetiere coffee in the bedroom. We also provide complimentary bottled water.
We also offer room service for food and beverages. It is a shame that you did not try our breakfast,
which is included in the room charge. Our breakfast has received a special award from Visit Britain.
This award has to be earned and I can assure you it is awarded to very few establishments.
The price we charge for our rooms is based on offering great value to our guests.
The Royal was designed and built by the famous,Isambard Kingdom Brunel and we have used
professional designers that our refurbishment was in keeping with the building.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

booked for two nights dinner but after the dining room staff being more interested in getting ready to go home, resetting tabled for breakfast around us, despite them giving us a 9pm booking, we cancelled the second.
when the bill was incorrect the receptionist was not only rude but aggressive.
shame that the customer service let the fabulous building down so badly.

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank jwb1701
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Guest

This review has me baffled.
Breakfast tables are only laid up when the last dinner guest has left the restaurant, never before then.
It is impossible to envisage any of the receptionists being rude. It is not in their nature and I would
not tolerate it from them.

Genera Manager
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We have now eaten at this restaurant 5 times and are unlikely to do so again. I am vegetarian along with a proportion of the population, and we are very poorly catered for. There is a pasta meal which is poorly described and is tasteless. The following evening there was the same meal and a mushroom rissotto meal. As these are usually overly full of mushrooms I looked for something else - even an expanded starter, but no luck. It would be so easy to extend the menu. We were told that the menu is only changed every few months so good luck to any vegetarians who wish to eat there!
My partner commented that the Men's toilets on the ground floor were absolutely disgusting, and there were no hand- drying facilities.

2 Thank Tricia H
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for dining with us on several occasions. Our menu which is featured on our website has
10 starters of which 6 are vegetarian. The main courses have a selection of 13, of which 2 are
vegetarian. On reflection I believe we should increase that number. We regularly change the menu
in line with the seasons and we are always happy to accommodate guests if they have a particular
dish they would like us to cook for them. Provided they give the chef advanced notice to ensure he
has all the ingredients. Our toilets are thoroughly cleaned every night and they are constantly
checked by management throughout the day. The gents toilets have 2 hand driers located next to the sinks and they are in perfect working order.
We sincerely hope to see you both back at The Royal.