“Return to Bath NCA & JA Chester” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Hotel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Chester, United Kingdom
“Return to Bath NCA & JA Chester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We were with a coach tour, and had a lovely five days. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts and dinners excellent We had a room at the front of the hotel, this was very convenient for the stairs and lift. It was lovely to have mineral water provided and a good selection of teas and fresh coffee in the room. The hotel is close to all the sights and shops in Bath. We had a most enjoyable few days.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

4 of us stayed at the Royal for a pre-wedding shopping weekend. It could not have been better. Right opposite the brand new Southgate Shopping Centre. I have stayed there before on a few occasions and they are constantly updating and improving this lovely old building. The room we had was wonderful and very spacious - brand new bathroom, sofa, massive wall mounted flat screen tv. Everything was fresh and new, including the carpets and lovely relaxing decor. Fine attention to detail including complimentary mineral water, chocolates, a wonderful range of teas and even a cafetiere and fresh coffee in the room. Dinner was delicious - Smoked salmon to start with followed by steak, the others had similar and one duck which looked fabulous. We treated ourselves to a bottle of their house champagne and found it incredibly reasonable and delicious and beautifully served. Breakfast was excellent - a choice of prepared peeled, sliced fresh fruit plus large bowl of individual fruit, mueslis, yoghurts, honey, fresh buttery croissants and pastries and the full range of cooked breakfast from eggs benedict to full english ..... the list goes on! The staff throughout the hotel were charming, polite, friendly and helpful. Couldnt rate it highly enough and all at an excellent price for the weekend. I will be going back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Responded to an advert in the Daily Mail on Saturday 19th May that same day for a special offer of £99.00 two nights Bed and Breakfast with a meal the first night up to the value of £22.00. Sounded too good too be true - sadly it was - as I was told the offer had ended. I was advised that a similar deal was now being offered for £119.00. I challenged this and got to speak to the General Manager Mike Macdermid who explained that the offer had closed on 30 April and the advert should have been pulled. It had not and he apologised. I am sure Mike will take steps to avoid this happening again but I expect adverts to be honest, truthful and accurate and on this occasion the Royal Hotel was found wanting and my time was wasted. No matter I will stay somewhere else.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Once again may I offer my sincere apologies and on reflection I wish I had honoured the offer
despite the fact I only had 1 room left to sell.

Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just returned from a weekend break in Bath, stayed at the Royal Hotel.Stayed on a bed breakfast and evening meal basis.Food was very good,our room was perfect for our needs and all the staff very friendly and helpful.All in all a terrific weekend, happy days!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steve190953
Truro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Fantastic location, and an awesome post Christmas deal. Dinner was included, but I would recommend eating somewhere else as it was very poor, tried very hard but came up short. All the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy dinner with us.
Our menu offers a choice of 11 starters, 17 main courses and 10 desserts.
You are able to select a 3 course meal for £22.00 which represents excellent value.
All food is freshly prepared and we source our meat produce locally . Our meat is from family
butcher" Church Farms" in Broughton Giffard and our steaks are aged for 28 days to ensure
excellent flavour.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I can't believe I forgot to write a review about this place from my January trip.

So, I was traveling through the UK partially on business and partially (mostly) to visit family. And while the Royal wasn't my first choice (The hotel I wanted was booked solid) I truly enjoyed my stay.

Since I was traveling by train this turned out to be very convenient as I simply crossed the street and was there.

I got a deluxe room, which was quite large and had very good wi-fi and water pressure. While very old school it was very comfortable and again very retro-quaint. I was a little concerned that the room was both right next to the elevator/stairs and directly across from the train station but there were no noise problems and I slept very well.

The bar while not open too late was a very good jumping off point every evening. I love watching people and this seemed to be the first place people came to off the train and the last stop before getting back on the train at the end of the night.

The staff of the hotel are all characters in their own right (in a good way) and made the five day stay quite enjoyable. I took my aunt to dinner in the restaurant attached to the hotel and we both enjoyed a very good meal.

Next time I'm in Bath I do actually want to try the other hotel (I like to mix things up) but this would certainly be at the top of my list of places to stay in Bath. Again this is not a 24/7 type of place and very old fashioned in terms of decor and how it's run but if you like quirky you'll love the Royal.

My only small problem was that they do not offer a laundry service, had I known I would have taken care of that little problem in Paris before heading to Bath but there was a laundry mat nearby so I trucked my stuff there and did laundry while enjoying a book, muffin and cup of joe. But since I am a lazy traveler would have preferred sloughing that responsibility onto someone else.

All in all very fun for a fair price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ramblinAmerican
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very welcome comments. We do offer a daily laundry service. The information
is in every bedroom in the welcome folder. I am sorry you did not see the relevant information.

Anthem, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Recently returned from a 3 night visit. Excellent value for 99 pounds per night including full breakfast and one 3 course dinner. I think we were very fortunate with our room. Very quiet. Lovely size. Nice size bathroom, with all the amenities. Breakfast was delicious as was the dinner. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Loved the location, right by the station and just a few minutes walk from the main sights. When I return to Bath, the Royal will be my choice of hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends