“Very nice hotel for a special stay in Bath”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Toronto
“Very nice hotel for a special stay in Bath”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with the family on a vacation in the UK, and had a very nice experience.

My wife and I had a very nice room overlooking the gardens in the back which had a fantastic view and furnishings, and the added benefit of multiple windows to cool down the room given the recent heatwave. Amenities in the room were very up to date as well, including a room safe and iron/ironing board. I always appreciate it when a heritage/country estate-type property has the same features you get used to and want to see in a modern professional hotel.

Our children's room was a little cramped and not quite as nice facing the front of the house, but still a very nice setting and no complaints. The pool is a little small and covered in leaves, but the property is exceptional.

Only minor complaint is the service in the restaurant for breakfast (see my restaurant review as well). They were rather slow to take orders for hot breakfasts (we had already finished our continental once before they asked if we wanted anything else) and not tremendously friendly. But, not a big issue. Overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you and your family overall had a lovely stay at The Bath Priory. Your comments regarding the team I have taken onboard and have addressed with immediate effect. The restaurant team are young and realitively new at present, however I will use your comments to re-train them. I feel strongly that the constructive critisim that we occasionally receive can be used to improve us all and make The Bath Priory a better hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Surrey
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

The Bath Priory is an absolutely lovely hotel with superb spa! The Michelin starred restaurant was out of our price range but the facilities that we used were excellent and the service was exceptional! The beautiful gardens and outdoor pool were an added bonus during the sunny afternoons! Everyone was so friendly and helpful!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind review, I and team were delighted to read your comments. we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Shepperton
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from a 1 night stay at the wonderful Bath Priory. On arrival staff were friendly and took us straight to our room, Lily, with the biggest bed I've ever slept in. On the booking I had mentioned it was my birthday so was delighted to find a birthday card signed from the Hotel Manager and a bag of complimentary toiletries, lovely touch. We enjoyed the use of the pool and spa facilities before a meal in their restaurant selecting from the a-la-carte menu. From starters to desert our choices were so well prepared and presented, and flavour combinations were amazing. Our petit fours were brought on a platter that had been iced with the words Happy Birthday which again was very thoughtful. Breakfast choice the following morning was good with a Continental selection plus cooked options and we walked around the attractive gardens before check-out.
The room, food, staff, and atmosphere of the hotel have made this a birthday to remember.

Room Tip: Lily is at the front of the hotel above the kitchen so there was a bit of noise from the gravel driv...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I and the team love to spoil our guests especially on special occasions. We are delighted that you had a fab time, we hope to welcome you back on your next special day.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just spent a fabulous day at The Bath Priory, treated my sister to a spa day for her birthday. Wow, everything from start to finish was perfect, including the weather!. All the staff were so friendly and welcoming, the service was first class. The Spa is wonderful, I had the Frangipani body wrap, and my sister had the Heavenly touch treatment, we then spent some time relaxing and then swam in the heated indoor pool, the French doors to the garden were open which made it feel so pleasant, then we alternated between the steam pod and the sauna and then back into the pool, perfect. We enjoyed a very lovely two course lunch, and then later had tea and cake in the garden. Didn't want to leave. Well done The Bath Priory staff.... Excellent.

1 Thank birthdaygirl186220
Dear Guest,

Our Spa team are delighted that you enjoyed your Garden Spa day from start to finish. Watch out on our website for our latest offers you might want to treat yourselves too and relive that Wow day all over again.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I took my friend to the Bath Priory for a special birthday treat on the 10th July. We sat on the terrace drinking champagne and enjoying the gardens, then went in for a superb lunch.
The food was beautifully presented and the flavours were amazing, I particularly enjoyed the goats cheese starter,while my friend who is a chocoholic thought the desserts were sublime.
The perfect end to the day was a visit to the spa and very relaxing treatments.
I will definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I and team are delighted that we could make your birthday experience so memorable from start to finish. We look forward to your next special occasion that you might share with us.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My friend and I had the most magical of times here, staying in the very hot week of Juy 2013.

I cant even find the words to say how lovely everything about our stay was, from service down to the wonderful L'Occitane bathroom supplies.

We are still hugging ourselves with joy to have found such a wonderful place and we hope very much to return, maybe even with our husbands!!!

Room Tip: We had a twin room, "Wisteria" which was facing the garden. Large and luxurious with every...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to learn that your stay exceeded your expectations. I and team look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distance future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in four rooms at the Bath Priory Hotel for 4 nights in mid-July. The hotel is simply lovely and very peaceful - the rooms are all named (mostly for flowers) and each has a different look and feel. I stayed in Rose, which was a little over-the-top for me on the Rose theme (wallpaper and matching window treatments) but my family's rooms (Clematis, Bluebell and Orchid) were lovely. All of the rooms were very comfortable except for the lack of air-conditioning which was only an issue because the UK is experiencing an unusually long and oppressive heat wave. The hotel did provide a fan and I had no trouble sleeping with the windows cracked and the fan trained on me. The rooms were immaculately maintained during our stay by the housekeeping staff. I particularly enjoyed walking in the garden (2013 Relais Chateaux garden of the year) and using the small but complete fitness room in a (thankfully) air-conditioned area of the hotel.

We had dinner several times at the hotel and were impressed with the quality and creativity of the food served by the chef (who I believe has a Michelin star to his name now). Front of the house staff were exceptionally helpful and very friendly. The only area I felt might need some attention was the restaturant staff. Some, but certainly not all, of the servers were a bit abrupt at times - attentive but not particularly warm or welcoming, especially at breakfast (which is stuctured mainly as a continental buffet with the option to order cooked eggs, porridge, etc.) The head server at dinner was very nice and accommodating; I just felt that some of their younger staff (notably, non-English) could have been more friendly.

To my fellow Americans, just a quick note on tipping here: we never signed for a single meal in the restaurant so it wasn't clear to me whether the sometimes standard 10% automatic gratuity was being added in by the hotel. We mentioned it to one of the waiters early on and he indicated that we were welcome to add a gratuity to the final bill at checkout if we were happy with the service, so that's what we did, but it's a bit of a challenge to know what kind of gratuity to add to an entire stay (especially when it's not clear whether meal gratuities were already included in the meal total). Presumably it's shared among all staff at the hotel, including housekeeping, concierge, etc. Can't decide yet whether I care for this system.

Also, the complimentary biscuits and water waiting for us in our rooms when we arrived were a nice and tasty touch. My mom had some issues with her room and the sink not properly draining, safe not working, and some other minor things that took longer to address than they probably should have (the safe was never fixed during our stay), but those were small issues that did little to detract from the stay in my book. Overall, a great option in Bath if you don't mind being a few minutes away from the center of the city (and I looked at that as a plus considering how quiet and relaxing the Bath Priory is). I'd certainly recommend the hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Check out their website - they have helpful hotel video tours and photos of every room so you can re...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent TA. I am delighted to read that you and and your family enjoyed your time at The Bath Priory. I can confirm that all gratuities are always left at the discretion of the guest and are distributed evenly amongst the team, we currently have no service charge policy in place.

Our restaurant team are a very young but enthusiastic group of people at this present time, however i can assure you and I'm doing everything in my power to train them to ensure we deliver a seamless service. On the positive note im delighted to read you enjoyed our gardens and location as a peace hotel.

i do hope you will visit us again in the future.