“High finest English hotel so far.”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel fully desrve to be one of the small luxury hotels in the world. Classic English luxury in every detail. Hotel spa and restaurant make the experience true luxury. One of the most memorable weekend escapes we have had.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NailyaB
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear NailyaB,

Thank you very much for your very kind review of the Bath Priory. I am very glad that you had such a memorable time. The staff all work very hard to make sure that guests enjoy their stay with us and it is very nice that they are appreciated.

I look forward to your next visit.

Simon Franks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We enjoyed the country house style and ambience of this hotel for an overnight stay. The reception rooms were particularly enjoyable as were the extensive grounds. The hotel is an easy walk to the centre of Bath.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking garden will facilitate a quieter night
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rgmit123
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel with lovely facilities and charming staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic break. The food in the restaurant was stunning and the service was excellent: the friendliness of the staff and their attention to detail helped make our stay really special.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline A
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a review about the Spa although we went through the hotel to get to the Spa and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I booked the Winter Warmer Half Day Spa package for my daughter and myself and we have to say that we could not have received better treatment. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and could not do enough to ensure we had a lovely experience.
Our only negative was the heat of the swimming pool, it was rather cool, but having said that I had my first experience in a steam room and I found this most enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Kaff_12,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Garden Spa at the Bath Priory. The Spa is a haven of peace and tranquility and the perfect place to relax.

I do hope you will return to the Bath priory soon and you will find the pool up to its normal temperature once again.

Best wishes

Simon Franks

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of Bath city centre which enables you to forget the Bath's parking problems. The hotel is exquisitely furnished, both the common rooms and the bedrooms. The food in the Michelin Star restaurant is to die for, the portons are not huge (are they ever in Michelin Star restaurants) but the quality means that you go away extremely satisfied. Can't wait for our next visit

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith C
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I took my wife away to a secret romantic birthday treat - she thought she was there for just lunch and not the weekend - the staff played along which as great. Our "standard room" was very special - on the second floor overlooking the gardens - it was beautifully furnished and a good size - 6' bed (I think 2 x 3' beds fitted together but you couldn't feel the join!). Super bathroom with walk in shower, seperate bath and wc - the basin was in the lobby area to the bedroom, which may sound a bit odd, but it works really well.The room and bathroom were spotless and I mean really clean - a credit to house keeping. The staff were all delightful, helpful, friendly but not over board - very professional. We had dinner at the hotel on our first night - superb - a good selection on the menu - not huge but some interesting dishes. They were beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. The deserts and petit fours are to die for - top tip - don't have dessert just go for the petit fours you won't regret it. One thing, whilst I thought the food was a bit expensive (superb, but expensive) I thought by contrast the wines were reasonably priced.
Breakfast was equally tasty, again a good selection and the staff very helpful.
The hotel throughout is fantastically furnished tasteful and in keeping.
Yes it is expensive to stay and eat there, but to be fair I doubt you would be going there every weekend - this is a real case of you get what you pay for - top end hotel and staff is never going to come cheap. And that I would suggest is what makes it special. Would I go again - Yes in an instant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank michael_d_brown
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent last night in the Honeysuckle Room. It has an Ammique bed which is made up of plastic tubes that go up and down with a mattress that is approx. 1" deep. Neither of us slept and in fact I tried to get to sleep in an arm chair! Not something you'd expect at this price. Gidleigh Park and the Devenshire at Bolton Abbey are of a similar price bracket and have very comfortable beds. We kept hoping to get to sleep when perhaps we should have demanded a better room. We were not told that we would have this particular bed when booking.
Apart from that the hotel was charming, if a little tired in places, and the bathroom was very clean with a good shower/bath.
The food was excellent and the vegetarian menu was varied and unusual (without too many mushroom based dishes!). Micheal Caines has obviously passed on useful knowledge to the chef.
The staff were very helpful, friendly and well trained.
I was surprised that when we complained that we didn't sleep that no apology was offered. They told us that others found the bed comfortable but I have read other remarks about this bed on other reviews here so we weren't alone in thinking it appalling!

Room Tip: Avoid the Honeysuckle room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CornwallDaisy
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear CornwallDaisy,

Thank you very much for for your comments regarding your stay at the Bath Priory Hotel. I am sorry that you did not sleep well indeed we would have been very happy to have moved you if necessary. I must apologise for the lack of response when you checked, it is not how we expect our staff to react when given such comments.
I am very glad that you did enjoy the rest of your time in the Hotel. Sam worked with Michael Caines for a number of years and clearly he has learnt a lot.
I do hope you will return to the bath Priory in the future and we will make sure you have a good nights sleep.