“Fantastic Hotel !!”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Romford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel !!”
Reviewed May 17, 2006

I booked this hotel as a 60th birthday gift for my mum, both my mum and dad are very fussy about the accomodation they stay in, when they arrived at the hotel they were able to check in 2 hours earlier than normal check in time wthout any fuss at all, and when my parents got to their room they had been upgraded to an executive suite as a gesture of goodwill and the hotel had off their own back, placed a box of belgium chocolates on the bed with a hand written card made out to be from me, which was such a lovely gesture.
my parents dined in the hotel restaurant on both nights they stayed there and found the food excellent, and again they are very fussy with food as well!., they also commented that the breakfast was superb too!.
They thoroughly enjoyed their stay at this hotel and said they will definately be returning.
Remember that most people that make reviews are those that wish to complain, not many people do ever write to companys to say that service was good, they only ever write to complain!
This hotel made my mums 60th one to remember........and all for the right reasons!!!

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank SPerfect72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Reviewed April 13, 2006

Reserved a single, was upgraded to a double (although I can't imagine how small a single must have been... the double wasn't a big room). The room itself was fine, clean, nice big windows, comfortable bed. The bathroom was clean with a great, deep soaking tub, which I love. Two complaints; my room looked out over a bus route, so it was noisy. And the door lock...very flimsy for a hotel. I didn't feel secure until I put a chair against the door. The lounge/bar rooms, which have a non smoking sign but ashtrays on the table, smelled of stale smoke. The breakfast room was beautiful and serene and served a good breakfast. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. Not a bad place but because of the door locks (which I mentioned on the feed-back sheet) I probably would not stay there again as I often travel solo.

1 Thank Milore
UK
Reviewed March 29, 2006

We stayed over the New Year period at this hotel, and experienced the worst hotel stay ever. Paying for an Executive room you would imagine that there would be some benefit over the standard double. Unfortunately at the Lansdowne Grove this means extra cobwebs, broken and flickering lights, and a visible layer of dust around the edges of the room where they hadn't bothered to vacuum properly. On top of that you get a bath plug that doesn't fit the hole, a lack of noise shielding from the corridor and rooms beyond, plus the annoyance of a courtesy light going on and off all night from one of the neighbouring houses.
All of these things on their own you can put up with, but when you add in the terrible service, the very poor food (this is apparently a 4* hotel - it shouldn't be serving obviously-microwaved salmon fillet), and the fact that the staff don't know what they're doing, PLUS the blatant attempt to charge you for items you've never had, it becomes ridiculous and offensive.
If you're a vegetarian or have specific dietary requirements, expect the hotel not to be able to meet your needs. I requested the option of a cheese souffle omelette at dinner and after a lot of fuss eventually received a simple, plain omelette folded up on a side plate as my main course.
They have a long way to go to improve this hotel. Starting from scratch would not be a bad idea.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank sykander
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed March 1, 2006

Rooms clean and comfortable, with good size bathrooms and decent temperature control. TV channel choice limited. While I was there there were clearly not enough staff to go around, and those present were overstretched. It was necessary to ring reception in order to get service at the bar, for instance. Breakfast and dinner were average at best, and I overheard other guests complaining about the food. However, this mediocrity was not reflected in the price, which I considered very expensive. Thereafter I frequented Bath's numerous excellent eateries, obtaining a 100% improvement in quality and service, and a 35% reduction in cost! To top it off, when we left the hotel tried to charge us for items we hadn't purchased, although they were open about how the bill was derived and we were able to rectify the errors. I will probably stay there again as my employer insists that we use the hotel, but I wouldn't spend my own money, or eat there, and nor would I recommend anybody else to do so.

3 Thank Richard P