“Two nights”

The Lansdown Grove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Strangely enough my wife and I stayed in the same room as Nomad room 232 and I agree the loading etc works fine.
We bought the two night on a special offer, so it worked fine. I certainly would not want to pay full rate.
Nice staff very helpfull.
In general I liked the quirky layout, not to everybodys choice. Stairs everywhere.
Breakfast was a very wide choice and limitless for cerals porridge grapefruit croissants etc but the cooked bit was very dissapointing. I could have played hockey with fried eggs on the first morning, the sausage was a burnt offering of what tasted like cardboard and the bacon was terribly salty. Next morning my wife asked for scrambled eggs. What was served was I think the recently reported "liquid eggs". Whatever it was, it was inedible and looked disgusting. Pale coloured wishy washy floppy rubber. Yuck. My eggs were fried eggs were marginally this morning but still not good. What a shame that what could be a nice hotel was let down by it's food. I certainly wouldn't dare to try an evening meal if the breakfast is anything to go by.

Room Tip: for ease of loading as already said, the rooms 232 and in that area are good, but it is a trek to ge...
2  Thank NomadDorset
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear NomadDorset
Its great to see you though our staff were nice and you liked the quirky layout of our hotel.
Sorry to hear you didnt like the cooked breakfast this is unusal as we get great comments about all our food including dinner at night. As a hotel we feel we give value for money in all areas.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have just spent the weekend at this hotel, my first impression was not good it is in bad need of decoration wallpaper is peeling and paintwork is all chipped and the inside of the lift was horrid with ?carpet stuck to the walls however we had a very nice weekend the staff were great and could not have done more to help us,the food was good always piping hot and the choice was quite good.
Bed was comfortable and linen nice bathroom was modern with bath and shower, towels were great and stain free
The lady who cleaned our room was great she left us extra milk & tea thank you to her

Room Tip: I noted some rooms seem to have a balcony room 211 did not
2  Thank travel5620313
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear travel562313

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I like to call our carpeted lift quirky !!! But I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed for two nights in August 2013.
Our room, 232, opened out onto the rear car park which made unloading very easy.
Room and bathroom modern and clean. The bed was very comfortable.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
The cooked breakfast on the first morning wasn't great (fried eggs hard) but was fine on the second morning. Porridge was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 232 - it opens onto the car park via patio doors.
2  Thank N0madD0rset

N0madD0rset
What a great review Thank you.
I have shown your lovely comments to all the staff concerned. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to this hotel from Monday to Friday with Shearings coach holidays, the hotel was set in beautiful surroundings and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The food was fabulous and there was a good choice to. The staff were all friendly and our cases were taken up to our room by staff. The location is ideal, the bus stop is only down the road, although we walked everywhere to walk of all the good food we ate off It reminded me of a mansion, all the communal areas were decorated lovely and it was so clean, the gardens were beautiful and we sat outside just admiring the hotel and views from there. Shower gels and shower caps left in bathroom for us and lovely big clean towels. I will definitely be going back there, I love it. Thank you Lansdown grove hotel for making my holiday one to remember..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Dawn H
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you Dawn H for posting a fantastic review . I am so glad your enjoyed your stay with us ,I will pass on all your comments to all staff concerned and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Had a weekend stay in this hotel. The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The room (202) was fine with everything we needed, although the decor was a bit tired. Communal areas were nicely decorated. We needed a cup of tea, but I had to wash the cups as they weren't clean. The bed wasn't great, somewhat lumpy, but not too bad. Breakfast was fine with a good selection of choices, but dinner- as I am a vegetarian- was awful. The only veggie choice was a quorn dish (which I am allergic to), so I opted for the cheese salad which was a lot of cheese, with a miniscule salad garnish. Totally inadequate for a main meal. However, the pudding was fine.

The following evening meal was no better, I had the one veggie option which was some kind of butternut squash patty which was very burnt, so I found the food inadequate and disappointing. My partner is a meat eater so had lots of choice.

The location is at the top of a steep hill, a 15 minute walk to the town centre, but as others have said there is a bus no. 2 for avoiding the walk back.
The most important things I want from a hotel are a clean room, comfy bed and nice food, unfortunately the last two were lacking. I wouldn't want to stay there again.

1  Thank dee01273

Dear dee01273
Sorry to hear we didnt cater for your vegetarian needs this is surprising as we offer a meat,fish,vegetarian and chefs special main course on our table d' hote menu as well as two vegetarian main courses on our al a carte menu each night . I ask all future guests if we can help you with any special dietary requirements please just ask.There are two buses that run up and down the hill to the city centre. The number 2 and 31.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as it had parking and was within walking distance of Bath centre and in this regard it was fine. Walk down into Bath and get the bus back - perfect. Unfortunately the hotel itself did not come up to scratch. What we had not realised was that it was owned by Shearings and was used by their coach parties. We are both over 65 ourselves but when we arrived at the dining room at 7.30pm (the last available time to eat) it was full of old people with no tables left and definitely a care home atmosphere. We were told to sit 'anywhere' in the Garden Room, a smallish room off of the main dining room but when we sat down by the window we were told we had to move as 'that table has been laid for breakfast'. Having moved, we waited 20 minutes for a waiter to take our order for drinks and then were told the scallops were not available and we could have fish gougons instead. These consisted of deep friend fish, so overdone that we could not cut them. Our main course was vegetable lasagne which was just a splat on the plate. To be fair it tasted OK but presentation was terrible. The atmosphere in the Garden Room was chilly with several other people complaining about the service so we did not enjoy our evening at all. The following evening was went into town for dinner even though we had paid for dinner at the hotel - it was that bad. Our room was large with a very good sized bed but the bathroom was very tired with stains in the bath, a plug that did not fit the hole and dripping taps. We also paid extra to guarantee we could park our car but there was a very large car park at the side of the hotel where we would have had no trouble finding a space so felt we had been ripped off. All in all a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morgancouple

Dear Morgan Couple
Not sure how you came to the conclusion that we are a care home ! This comment does surprise me as we have a variety of guests of all ages that stay here at the Lansdown.
Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your stay but as you can see this is very unusual when you look at our other reviews as we pride ourselves offering a value for money break.
We offer resevered parking to guests who want a guarantee space, the back car park is free but there is no guaranteed of a free space of being available.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have just spent a great week at the hotel, before we travelled I read several reviews so arrived with mixed feelings. However the score is 10 out of 10, we were lucky to have room 309 with fantastic views day and night over the city, beds and room facilities were excellent maybe a little dust in corners but nothing to worry about. The food for breakfast and evening meal was first class, nice to try different dishes. The staff were really tremendous so kind and friendly. We walked down the hill several times but got no 2 bus back very good use of bus passes. If we come to the area again we would have no hesitation in booking at the Lansdown.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front facing the city offer fantastic views and are reasonably quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 173HilaryW

Dear 1731HilaryW
What a lovely review, thank you. I have passed on your lovely comments to all the staff concerened hope to see you again in the future.